PDA

View Full Version : 7100g and noise cancellation or lack of...

rlfromm
05-21-2005, 09:51 AM
Is it me or is the 7100g possibly the worst phone ever?

Hey the 7100g does look great and the BB features are strong. But this darn phone is pretty much useless in a car or in an airport or in public area or anywhere there is any noise.

Comments comment from callers: Are you in wind tunnel? I can't make your voice out from all the background noise. Etc..

Where is the noise cancellation? Makes me think BB should stick to their old bricks.

My OLD Motorola V60i never had any of these issues. As a matter of fact I've never heard a phone that allows so much noise. I'm not alone either I have 20 guys in the office that complain of the same issue.

Bluetooth headsets don't seem to help either. Noise and or volume seem to plague them all. At least with the 7100g.

Hell I really disappointed with all the travel I do I was really looking for to the BB features and the Bluetooth support.

I tried the BT800 and it actually had decent sound and volume. But it is not really compatible with the 7001g. :-(

I using the Logitech Mobile Freedom and its noise cancellation is very poor. WindStop? Yea sure.... :-(

aristobrat
05-21-2005, 11:17 AM
I using the Logitech Mobile Freedom and its noise cancellation is very poor. WindStop? Yea sure.... :-(
To each their own. :)

The only way I can make calls while walking the dog (I live by the ocean, so it's usually windy here) or while driving in my Jeep Wrangler (another very loud environment) is with my Logitech Mobile Freedom. People can't understand me at all if I call from either of those conditions using the phone itself or a wired headset. No complaints from them at all when using my Mobile Freedom.

jbairdjr
05-21-2005, 11:53 PM
I have to wonder if this is from your coverage. You also might have a bad 7100g.
My 7100g has great sound quality. I use a Moto 810 bluetooth headset, and that makes it better than any of my old phones.
I'd try getting a replacement to see if it solves your problem

dulcamara
05-22-2005, 05:30 AM
I get as good or better quality from the handset as I got from the motos I had previously, provided the battery isn't real low. When the battery is below 10%, the call quality is terrible.
I have two bars in my living room, and the call quality is fine. It's better with my wired headset.

o2flow.net
05-22-2005, 09:20 AM
I get the same complaints from my 7100t, I thought it was a known firmware issue?

Adichter
07-01-2005, 11:12 AM
I've got a new 7100g and am having the same problem....when talking directly into the phone people hear the background noise more than they hear me (e.g. in an airport it was a disaster). When I plug in a headset things are fine.

Do I have a bad handset, is this just the way it is with the 7100g, or is it a software problem?

techteam
07-01-2005, 12:24 PM
The problem I am having is BB to BB. If I am talking BB to Other or BB to land line it is as good as my v400 was. However, if i am talking to another BB it sounds like i have a busted speaker to them and on my end.

Adichter
07-01-2005, 12:35 PM
The problem I am having is BB to BB. If I am talking BB to Other or BB to land line it is as good as my v400 was. However, if i am talking to another BB it sounds like i have a busted speaker to them and on my end.

I haven't even called another BB. But calling a landline has been a disaster unless I have a headset on or I'm in a silent place.

Brad00111
07-02-2005, 01:10 AM
Never had a problem on my 7100G with or without my HS 820

serpico
07-03-2005, 09:46 PM
Was at a Cingular store today and the display 7100g was connected (which is a very nice touch!), so I called a friend. He said the background noise was very audible and annoying. Called him right back on my LG VX4400 (2003 simple flipphone using VZW service); background noise much more muted, and no problems hearing me.

Adichter
07-07-2005, 11:32 AM
Just got a new 7100g from Cingular and tested it out -- same background noise problem (maybe a tiny bit better).

It seems so incredible to me that so few people with this phone / in this forum are experiencing this problem? Is this because this forum is somehow related to BB corporate so no one is allowed to complain about the phone? How can they make such a great device that you can't talk on on the street / in an airport?!! Isn't this meant for business users who are out and about???!?!!!

aristobrat
07-07-2005, 02:28 PM
We have four 7100g's, one of which is assigned to a VP who's known for being vocal about the littlest of things, and ... none of them have mentioned anything about background noise being a problem.

My guess is that at what level background noise becomes a problem is unique to each person.

serpico
07-12-2005, 08:43 PM
aristobrat, maybe your users tend not to use the phone in airports and on busy sidewalks, so their callers don't hear so much background noise?

aristobrat
07-12-2005, 08:55 PM
Could be. :)

bbguide
07-21-2005, 12:49 PM
I am getting complaints from well over half of my users that the background noise is causing them not to use this phone at all. I cannot tell how many times the exact phrase "wind tunnel" has come across as a complaint. I am working with Cingular and RIM product management on this but with no resolution so far. We are using 4.0 on the device but have not upgraded the BES yet - I really think (and no, I am not a techie) that there is a common issue with some sort of OS/device combination.

Incidentally, this complaint goes hand-in-hand with the complaint on low device volume. We rolled out Motorola bt headsets to everyone but that did not help the issue at all.

AlbertoM
07-23-2005, 10:13 PM
Just got a new 7100g from Cingular and tested it out -- same background noise problem (maybe a tiny bit better).

It seems so incredible to me that so few people with this phone / in this forum are experiencing this problem? Is this because this forum is somehow related to BB corporate so no one is allowed to complain about the phone? How can they make such a great device that you can't talk on on the street / in an airport?!! Isn't this meant for business users who are out and about???!?!!!
Or could it be that most users are NOT experiencing this problem???!?!!!

deathblow
07-25-2005, 12:27 AM
I am having this problem with my 7100g. It works decent when I am in a quiet location. But anytime there is background noise at all, the person I am talking to cannot hear me at all, most of the time they just hang up. I am with Cingular also, I had such high expectations with this phone also. Oh well... Might have to switch.

fullwave2
07-25-2005, 05:35 AM
Maybe I should consider myself fortunate but I have yet to have this issue with my 7100g and Cingular.

tbaker73
09-15-2005, 02:34 PM
I am having this problem, and it does not matter where I call from (even calling from my quiet apartment in the center of NYC where I have great reception folks complain so much of the background noise that I always wind up calling back from another cell phone, and have now stopped using the 7100g as a phone at all).

There is definitely a widespread issue, though it seems some have been lucky enough to not come across this.

aristobrat
09-15-2005, 05:08 PM
There is definitely a widespread issue, though it seems some have been lucky enough to not come across this.
We have 14 7100s in-house (4 g's, 10 t's) and zero complaints about background noise.

That's a lot of luck. :)

keithc
09-15-2005, 05:36 PM
Wow. I've never had an issue with my G. In fact, I just had to make some calls from my son's soccer game on a wide open field and the wind was going pretty good. I'm in CO and anyone who has been here knows what I mean. I had to ask them to repeat several times, but they heard every word I said. I just use my old wired Jabra ear thingy and while I think it has noise canceling, it only cost about $25. I also travel about 100k miles a year and have never been asked to repeat anything, ever, with a good signal. NOW, if you want to talk about spontaneous reboots, thats a whole 'nother story. Grrrrrrr....

cineprep
09-18-2005, 12:27 AM
I have the same problem with mine.

Has anyone here either a) gone back to 3.8 or b) received a replacement handset or c) upgraded to the most recent version of the s/w and had the problem resolved?

CodyMac
09-19-2005, 10:47 AM

Has anyone here either a) gone back to 3.8 or b) received a replacement handset or c) upgraded to the most recent version of the s/w and had the problem resolved?

A. Went back to 3.8 and it messed up the fonts on my BB, plus it started locking-up. Phone sounded better, though.

B. Received a replacement which has the very same issue.

C. Latest software does not fix the problem.

cineprep
09-19-2005, 01:28 PM
I downgraded to 3.8 the other nite and every time I send an sms message the fone crashes and needs a hard reboot.

I am really starting to hate this #!@<hidden>#$%$%ing thing. too bad cuz if it worked as advertised it would be great.

cineprep
09-19-2005, 01:32 PM
i think I'll melt it down to slag.... that might make me feel a bit better.

KonTiki
09-19-2005, 01:45 PM
You know but ever since RIMM started using that 7100 format I have heard nothing but horror stories, to be fair I also hear them about the 7200 series as well but not in the proportions that you hear from the 7100 users. I know people have preferrences, but I strongly believe that if the 7100 series users switched to the 7200 models you would find them a lot better. I realize that the size and the shape is the issue with most people but I look at the functionality and stability in the long run that is what counts in my book.

cineprep
09-19-2005, 02:10 PM
by the time I get through with my 7100 it will look a lot like a 7200 only flatter ;-)

schlepers
09-20-2005, 11:25 AM
A. Went back to 3.8 and it messed up the fonts on my BB, plus it started locking-up. Phone sounded better, though.

B. Received a replacement which has the very same issue.

C. Latest software does not fix the problem.

Any luck on getting a new 7100 and the mic working??

j--

CodyMac
09-22-2005, 10:17 AM
Nope.

I've gone to using the included wired headset, and that helps some. I'm still waiting for a software fix (read: waiting for them to admit they screwed something up when they left 3.8, and fix it in the next release.)

crypto60
09-22-2005, 03:32 PM
I have a 7100g and I want to add my .02 cents to this... when I first got it a few people complained about background noise/sound level when I was on the phone itself (never with a bluetooth headset) there is an option in the phone app to set the volume for every call to 100 instead of remembering the setting.

you would think this only had to do with the earpiece volume, I can't explain it but when I changed this to always be at 100 the complaints stopped.......

WTS
09-25-2005, 09:56 AM

Many people complain to me about the background noise - seems my 7100g magnifies that noise to the level that my voice is hard to hear. I've replaced it, but have the same problem with the new one. Cingular tech told me it was "bad batch" of phones before sending replacement phone with same problem.

Don't have problem with Bluetooth headset or bluetooth car setup.

texasag90
09-30-2005, 12:21 PM
I'd be interested to hear if anyone sees any difference with the latest softwarejust released.

kd78
09-30-2005, 03:43 PM
I'd be interested to hear if anyone sees any difference with the latest softwarejust released.

Is noise cancellation driven by the software or is it usually part of the hardware components and microphone?

aristobrat
09-30-2005, 09:11 PM
Or is it part of the codec used the the carrier that the phone is using?

WTS
10-13-2005, 04:58 PM

I "upgraded" to 4.0.2.49. Has exactly the same noise problems.

aristobrat
10-13-2005, 07:05 PM
Or is it part of the codec used the the carrier that the phone is using?
I'm still wondering about the codec the carrier uses to encode the sound from the phone (on the network end of the call).

Most of the time my users spend on their 7100g's is in SE Virginia, which is a network built by SunCom, recently acquired by Cingular. No sound quality complaints from my users about the 7100gs ... until a few went up north (PA/NJ/NY). They reported that they had a hard time hearing people they called, and vice versa. Obviously their 7100g didn't change, so I'm wondering if Cingular has their network setup differently up there?

SUFan
10-13-2005, 09:20 PM
We have the same noise problems although its reduced when using a blue tooth headset.

Anyway, someone that works for me always sounds horrible when she calls on her 7100g. Another co worker suggested she speak quietly and he said the quality improved when he spoke to her - its almost like she was yelling because neither person could hear each other but once she spoke normally it sounded much better to him.

Does this make any sense? It is such a stretch but I am so sick of people complaining to me about the voice quality when I call them. I personally think she has a bad device that is much worse than the typical poor quality in BB phones.

I really hope the voice quality and Bluetooth quality improves in the upcoming devices.

intricate
10-17-2005, 05:00 PM
Just want to put my vote down for having the same problem.

I get lots of complaints about people barely being able to hear me in crowded or noisy areas...one example...I was watching a football game (not an ideal cellphone situation) and my friend tried calling me to find us, he couldn't understand a word I was saying but had no problem understanding my friend sitting right beside me when he called his cell.

Dutch
10-17-2005, 10:19 PM
People always ask me where I'm at due to the background noise they hear. Many times I'm in my office.

I use my 7100g as a business tool but I don't want to annoy my customers with a noisy phone conversation.

xsw
11-12-2005, 10:02 PM
I have the same complaints DAILY. I use my phone to call customers and co-workers from the car, restaurants and other public places. Whenever I talk to anyone, I first apologize for the background noise they're hearing and then I tell them that I am calling from my new Blackberry 7100. I then tell them NEVER to buy one.

Hopefully, somebody at RIM figures out how to make a cell phone. Cell phones have ONLY been around for at least 15 years!

txchad
11-12-2005, 10:29 PM
I'm having the same problem! The email and data in the 7100g are great, but the phone background noise is horrible!!!

xsw
11-12-2005, 11:56 PM
Those of you on this thread, who say they've never experienced or heard of this problem (especially the guys who have nothing to do but post 600+ messages on this board), must hide in the closet all day (in which case, you should use the land line).

If you don't own a car, get one and talk w/ your fancy blackberry while driving. If you've never been to the airport, go there. If you've never been to a restaurant, try eating out. Leave yourself a voicemail from somewhere other than your closet. You'll hear what I am talking about. This is my 3rd 7100g. They all do the same thing. I've been up and down California (600 mile stretch)--it's NOT the network. I've tried it using my FREE Nokia phone without noise issues.

matt2meyer
11-13-2005, 08:40 AM
Same problem here with my TMobile 7105t at the Flyers game last week. Person calling couldn't hear anything but background noise...

goldbergs
11-13-2005, 11:32 AM
This is a similar thread for the 7000t How can RIM continue to ignore the hundreds of complaints? All 710x phones have the problem.

Brad00111
11-13-2005, 12:26 PM
Those of you on this thread, who say they've never experienced or heard of this problem (especially the guys who have nothing to do but post 600+ messages on this board), must hide in the closet all day (in which case, you should use the land line).

If you don't own a car, get one and talk w/ your fancy blackberry while driving. If you've never been to the airport, go there. If you've never been to a restaurant, try eating out. Leave yourself a voicemail from somewhere other than your closet. You'll hear what I am talking about. This is my 3rd 7100g. They all do the same thing. I've been up and down California (600 mile stretch)--it's NOT the network. I've tried it using my FREE Nokia phone without noise issues.

I dont live in a closet. I make a majority of my calls from my car and have never had 1 complaint about background noise, and I even ask people on occasion how they can hear me. The rest of my calls are made in a regular working environment. Granted I am not on a tarmac of an airport standing behind a 747 ready for take-off.

This is a similar thread for the 7000t How can RIM continue to ignore the hundreds of complaints? All 710x phones have the problem.

This is obviously NOT a universal issue as there are some of us whom have no problems with their 7100g. That isnt to say there is a bad batch out there that people are getting, or maybe it has to do what software you have installed on your handheld, I dont know I am not a tech.

Now I do agree, that if people are seeing this issue I would hope RIM would address it, and it looks like they have with the 8700 and hopefully going forward.

xsw
11-13-2005, 12:59 PM
I dont live in a closet. I make a majority of my calls from my car and have never had 1 complaint about background noise, and I even ask people on occasion how they can hear me. The rest of my calls are made in a regular working environment. Granted I am not on a tarmac of an airport standing behind a 747 ready for take-off.

This is obviously NOT a universal issue as there are some of us whom have no problems with their 7100g. That isnt to say there is a bad batch out there that people are getting, or maybe it has to do what software you have installed on your handheld, I dont know I am not a tech.

Now I do agree, that if people are seeing this issue I would hope RIM would address it, and it looks like they have with the 8700 and hopefully going forward.

xsw
11-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Maybe you don't drive fast enough, because if I am doing <35MPH, there is no noise problem either. I have a 2 year old Mercedes E class and a Chevy Suburban. Both are very quiet cars at high speeds. OR maybe the people you're talking to on the other end are deaf. Try calling your land line and leaving yourself a voicemail while driving at >35MPH. Do the same from a typical cell phone, and tell us the difference.

RIMM Engineering and Quality has actually confirmed this. Their audio team is working on the issue, but there is no firmware upgrade that helps. The problem is that this is their first speaker phone. They made the mic circuit more sensitive as required if you are on speaker. However, they don't turn down the gain when you're not on speaker. That's the problem. It's hardware, hence no firmware fix. I use my phone 3200 minutes a month. I proactively ask the person on the other end if they hear background noise. I get a "yes, noisy" response every one of those 3200 minutes, if I am not sitting in my office with the door closed.

I doubt you have a "special" phone with a different mic circuit than what RIMM put in, because RIMM agrees that all the phones they make all exhibit the same issue.

Don't get on the tarmac, you might get run over, in which case you won't be able to post on this site anymore.

xsw
11-13-2005, 02:36 PM
I started a new thread called: Background Noise Problems? Email the RIM CEO here.

Please go find that thread and email the RIM CEO to prompt him to fix it. I am tired of complaining and not getting any results.

rattleme
11-27-2005, 09:37 PM
I had the 7100g with cingular and had the same noise problem. I had it replaced and the first call I made was the same problem. Recently I had a chance to grab a 8700c and the first call I made, THE SAME PROBLEM. I thought maybe the 8700 might have some fix, but I was wrong.

aristobrat
11-27-2005, 10:22 PM
It'd be interesting if you could somehow use either phone on another GSM network (T-Mobile?) and see if it sounds the same.

Move
11-27-2005, 10:51 PM
Aristobrat - This is definately an issue. The only way for your VP to complain about the sound would be to either have someone call him from a 7100G or to have one of his callers complain. My guess is that not too many people who talk with the VP will have enough nerve or time to complain about his phone sound quality.

I know that in my situation the sound became too unbearable. My customers would ask me to put my phone on mute during conference calls because no one could hear anything over the noise.

I use a corded headset which is an improvement. Most corded headsets seem to be rinky-dink though. I'm actually using an Xbox Live headset until "The Boom Version 4" is available (ETA 11/29/05 after months and months of delay).

Anywho, the noise issue is there with the 7100G (if not with all of the 7100 series). My question is how widespread is it? Most of us "nerdy" types pick up on the nuances and flaws of technology. We see enough of it that we complain (deservidly so) when we do see it happen. Some people might not be savvy enough to react to many of these issues. Maybe they do not understand the power they have as a consumer.

Unfortunately in today's day and age of cellular technology we still have to think about phone/call quality. One has to wonder if we all wouldn't be better off just using the "bag" phone, because if I want to watch tv I will watch it at home.

ricam78
02-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Same problem here. I get the "wind tunnel" comment from my wife on a daily basis as I am driving home. I am hoping a fix or a utility that someone makes that will allow me to tweak my mic sensitivity.

:-x

devon_ojas
02-03-2006, 05:59 PM
same problem here. living in new york this phone is pretty much worthless as a handheld phone. would make the difference between the best and the worst phone I ever owned.

mike_187
02-03-2006, 06:07 PM
i bought a new 7100g a couple of days ago, i upgraded to 4.1 right away. i have to say i have no problems. i love it as a phone.

ricam78
02-03-2006, 06:18 PM
i bought a new 7100g a couple of days ago, i upgraded to 4.1 right away. i have to say i have no problems. i love it as a phone.

I have 4.1 also and still have the issues

Liv
02-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Hmmm. Wow, that is a huge issue. I am trying to figure out which blackberry to buy (for me slimmer is better, I am 5'0 and have small hands) I need to find out if it is a universal 7100 or if it is just mainly the "g" - I guess I will have to decide if I want to try my luck and get one of the phones that does not have those problems

Evangelist
02-04-2006, 07:53 PM
Greetings, Liv!

I have a 7100i and have absolutely no problems with background noise. I have asked many of my frequent contacts and they complimented the phone voice quality and indeed indicated that my phone voice was clearer than before with my 860i. I did a double-check by calling my home answering machine while I was at loud, really LOUD, music concert and honestly, when I checked the message at home, I couldn't hardly hear the background of loud music at all!!! Buy the 7100i with confidence! (y)

God Bless!

Rick
Embrace His Grace (http://www.embracehisgrace.com)

NickFLZ
02-05-2006, 01:42 PM
I have the 7100t and have had the same problems since day one. People ask me to call them back when I am back in my studio or when I get home. If I am in a mall, forget it -- no one can hear me. You can't shout to get over the background noise either because the microphone on the 7100 distorts VERY easily. A collegue of mine has this phone as well; sometimes when I talk to him and he so much as laughs loud it distorts. I work in audio so maybe I am more sensitive to these issues but I agree there needs to be some kind of noise cancellation built into these phones. Hell, the free phones sound WAY better than this thing.

gumbyj5
02-20-2006, 09:04 AM
I have a 7100t and have all the same problems listed above. It is very annoying. I have allready got a new phone from t-mobile and the problims still persisted.

What do you guys think the chance of me convincing t mobile to let me upgrade to the 7290 minus what I padi for the 7100t is?

Thanks

angelot
02-20-2006, 05:47 PM
I've had the 7100G since last May and am having the same problems. I also have an Acura and when using the Bluetooth in the car, I've noticed that the volume has to be up mich higher than my old T608 phone on Sprint to hear people.

Does anyone think the 7130 from Verizon would be better? I am thinking about making the switch...

Ashgotti
02-20-2006, 07:10 PM
I have a 7100r (same as 7100t) and my gf complains about the background noise if i'm on the bus or in the car.

angelot
02-20-2006, 07:21 PM
all of us know the 7100 models are'nt that good. So is the Verizon 7130 better then?

timmer=g
02-21-2006, 11:55 PM
This problem is apparently inherent to this model. Our city has started using BB's and we have replaced both of our original phones under warranty, but the new phones still have same noise issues. I am pushing Cingular to fix them or upgrade them. They are often useless in noisy situation, and my line of work places me there often. For the price, they should fix'em or replace them. Maybe a concerted effort by multiple users demanding a fix or upgrade will have an effect. Maybe!

serpico
03-13-2006, 11:05 AM
Fortunately, I got my 7100t for free with a 1yr contract. I will definitely be looking for a deal on another phone when the contract ends. Outside of the voice quality issues, I am a fan of the BB, and hope there is a better BB available then. Otherwise, may just have to jump back to Motorola.

Blackberry, are you listening???

bono007
03-14-2006, 01:05 AM
i am regretting my 7100g purchase. I have had this phone 1 month and have had all the same noise issues that are stated above.

ramz
03-14-2006, 08:37 AM
If you only had the phone for 1 month just take it back to the store and have them exchange it. I also have the 7100g and just recently sent back for them to send me a new one. Most of phones have a 1 year warranty and will work with you on send updates and firmware to the phone. But there is apparently a problem with these models phones.

Ezradv
03-14-2006, 08:53 AM
I have a few co-workers who have the same phone and 2 of them have this problem (it's really annoying to talk to them) and 3 of them don't have the problem. I think it's a bad firmware issue or something in a batch of these phones. It's intermittent but consistent.

bono007
03-14-2006, 02:36 PM
If you only had the phone for 1 month just take it back to the store and have them exchange it.

well i called cingular and they are sending me a new one. hopefully this is a good one.

xsw
04-04-2006, 06:13 AM
I have posted many times on how this phone quality sucks! People cannot hear me. A new problem is that when the person on the other line is on a speaker phone, I can't hear them unless I mute my phone. This is because their speaker phone is half duplex (like a walkie talkie), where only 1 person can talk at a time. The 7100 picks up so much background noise that their speaker phone thinks I am talking ALL THE TIME. This prevents me from hearing them talking at all. This is EXTREMELY annoying.

I just tried the 8700c today. It has the exact same crappy voice ckt design. Please email the RIM CEO ( MLazaridis@<hidden> ) to let him know he needs to fix it. I've started a thread for it.

Here it is:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=19049&highlight=background+noise+problems

angelot
04-04-2006, 06:29 AM
The 7100G is a complete disaster. I had owned the phone for 10 months and then switched to Verizon 7130E.

The phone is much better. Your only solution is to switch carriers. Anything else is wishful thinking...

aristobrat
04-04-2006, 08:45 AM
Your only solution is to switch carriers. Anything else is wishful thinking...
I'm thinking that this has a lot to due with it.

Even the Cingular fanboys over at http://cingular.howardforums.com are complaining about the CODECS that Cingular is using to compress the sound quality.

iamtashh
04-05-2006, 07:11 PM
ive had this phone for about a week now and i havent had any of these problems the only problem i have recieved if a jvm error while uploading something... but other than that i love it :-)

aristobrat
04-05-2006, 07:58 PM
ive had this phone for about a week now and i havent had any of these problems the only problem i have recieved if a jvm error while uploading something... but other than that i love it :-)
Where 'bouts (roughly) in the US are you located?

I know in my area, Cingular runs on the SunCom network that they bought, and I haven't had anyone complain about our 7100s...

snotty54
04-06-2006, 06:55 AM
I know it was last Sep 05 when you posted this, but how do you set the phone app to 100? I'm having this same noise prob, everyone has trouble hearing me and I have a husky voice as it is. I have a 7100g

intricate
04-06-2006, 10:04 AM
I agree 100% with the poster who said this is a hardware issue. the 8700 is a speakerphone and doesn't have the same problems at all. I'm guessing us 7100 are just SOL!

Luckily I've got an extended warranty which offers one free phone replacement or upgrade...regardless of what happens. Looks like my 7100r is going to be taking a little swim in the near future...and perhaps a little run in with my car for good measure.

KennyC
04-06-2006, 12:47 PM
I've had my 7100g for about 2 weeks now and no one has complained. My fiance also has a 7100g and she hasn't had complaints either (and I haven't had any problems talking to her and vice versa either). Both of us us them as our primary phones, on Cingular in the Raleigh and Atlanta areas. I've also used it in my car at highways speeds, and believe me when I say my 93 Toyota MR2 is NOT a quiet car. I dare say it's one of the loudest cars I've been in on the highway, but still, no complaints.

Actually I just got off the phone with my fiance and it was fine. It wasn't the quietest phone in the world, but certainly useable.

I guess it's a hit or miss with the 7100 series...

kotis
04-16-2006, 10:53 PM
I have the same issue on my 7100g.

Put accuse me of running the vacuum while on the phone.

Is there still no solution?

EricaJ1074
04-17-2006, 12:00 AM
The only one time I had noise in the background while using my 2nd 7100t was my fault when I went somewhere and forgot my headset (I was in a car with the windows rolled up, a/c and radio running and I forgot to turn the phone volume up when I made the call because of the forgotten headset). It could be the phone you're having problems with. The FEW times my BT headset worked with my first 7100t I was able to be heard clearly over my now 3 and 4 year old nieces (who were 2 and 3,and they're talking at the top of their lungs). I haven't tested my 7105t as a phone yet because I have the Voice Barred Unlimited Data plan right now but that will be changing soon and I will be buying a new, more reliable headset. I'll report back with my findings.

kotis
04-17-2006, 08:00 AM
I have two bluetooth headsets and there is no difference... still noisy. This is a software problem. Is there no hack to fix the problem?

serpico
05-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Have 7100 owners who have upgraded to OS v4.1 noticed an improvement in voice quality and/or noise cancellation?

NateG
05-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Well i own a 7100t and i upgraded to a OS v4.1 , and i really don't see a difference in voice quality. BTW the voice quality sucks.