PDA

View Full Version : New Device For Nextel 7100i or 7520?

tanquef
07-28-2007, 06:04 PM
I purchasing a new device next week with Nextel and i wondering which your recommendations are?

The guy shows me both devices, and the 7520 seems to be more confortable for typing but the 7100i its a little smaller and more confortable for the hand.

Is the suretype a good recommendation? i never tryed something similar so i'm not quite sure how it works.

Any tips are welcome!!

Thanks

aiharkness
07-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I can respond to your suretype question. I've used both, and prefer the qwerty device as much or more for the large screen. I think the keyboard is a matter of personal preference, and there are strong feelings on either side. Personally I adapted to the suretype and didn't mind using it. But now I plan to stay with the pda form factor for the larger display.

John Clark
07-28-2007, 06:51 PM
Welcome to the forums,
There are many threads about suretype vs. Qwerty keyboards. They both are good devices and work well.

A little about how suretype works: Basically you simply type the entire word by pressing the appropriate button. By the time you are done typing the word the SureType knows the word you are looking for based on the button combinations pressed. You simply type your word as if it was a regular keyboard. While typing the word it may show different words but when you finish your word out it will, 95% of the time, have the correct word. It's quite remarkable, actually. I love it. Most people who *hate* it don't know how to use it. Once you get the hang of it it's just as fast as a full keyboard, maybe even faster. it's much easier for one-handed typing, as well.

dc/dc
07-28-2007, 06:52 PM
Unless you absolutely, positively must have Direct Connect, I would purchase a CDMA device from Sprint.

John Clark
07-28-2007, 06:54 PM
Unless you absolutely, positively must have Direct Connect, I would purchase a CDMA device from Sprint.

Also, very good advice!

tanquef
07-28-2007, 07:22 PM

Actually my first thought was a Curve, but here is the deal, i live in Argentina, and travel back and forth to the US.

What Nextel provide me along with Push to Talk is International roaming without any additional cost, so that make the trick here!

I also have a HTC Wizard with my GSM carrier (Movistar)

My main question on the suretype, is if it will be able to recognize spanish and english words as well, otherwise it will be annoying trying to multitap on one language and suretype on the other...

John Clark
07-28-2007, 07:24 PM
Yes, SureType is capable of other languages.

tanquef
07-28-2007, 07:28 PM
Yes, SureType is capable of other languages.

How this works? is intelligent, or i need to change the config of the suretype everytime that i need to change language?

John Clark
07-28-2007, 07:41 PM
For full language support you need to change the config. However, SureType learns the words you type so if you use other spanish words occasionally, SureType will learn them.

juwaack68
07-28-2007, 08:15 PM
The 7520 was considered End of Life at the end of June. Our company is no longer able to purchase them from Nextel (they informed me they are out of stock in their warehouses) so we have removed them from our standards list.

Go with the 7100i.

tanquef
07-28-2007, 09:48 PM
one more question...

is the 7100i able to watch youtube mobile videos?

juwaack68
07-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Nope.

asylumdigital
07-29-2007, 01:28 AM

That is exactly what I did last week. I got the 8830 World Edition & I absolutely love it...

tanquef
07-29-2007, 08:33 AM
and what about the curve? is the curve able to watch youtube videos or flash content?

dc/dc
07-29-2007, 09:52 PM
and what about the curve? is the curve able to watch youtube videos or flash content?

No, it is not. BlackBerry devices are not meant for that.

Naked Wife
07-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Even if the Blackberry's had the capability, data speeds on iden are too slow to stream video.

CletusJones
07-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7100i/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103)

I have a 7100i and while it's nice it's ridiculous for data. Wap sites are your friend.

If you are going to use it primarily for email and phone you'll be fine though, it's a great device and as was already stated, suretype isn't bad to use if you're a good speller. If you can't spell it doesn't suggest the correct words and gets frustrating real fast. I can type almost as fast on mine as I can type on a full keyboard.