PDA

View Full Version : Please help me to make the right decision

MAIappraiser
05-21-2005, 04:37 PM
Hi all,

I purchased a 7230 BB almost a year ago and have been using it with a 3rd party exchange server service. I love it and admit I'm addicted. I used it for e-mail only via a pretty good data only T-mobile deal. I kept my cell with verizon as they wanted a ton of money to get out of my contract or upgrade to a BB with them. My beloved BB was recently stolen while at the friendly local carwash. I had thought it was misplaced and since I never used it as cell phone and it was password protected I did not call T-mobile for a week. Turns out that there were about $400 in phone calls before it was shut off. My first question is.... The password feature on the BB does not protect you from fraudulent phone calls? T-mobile was pissy about paying for any of the fraud charges and so far they have only agreed to pay for about 50% of the charges. I guess fraud involving cell phones are not like a credit card in that the cardholder is only responsible for $50 max?

I'm thinking about switching to a 7100 and use it as a cell phone and for e-mail. My verizon contract is upso the timing is good. But don't know if i will like the keys on the 7100. For anybody that has switched from a traditional BB to 7100 - dis you get use to the keyboard quickly or should I stick with a newer traditional BB model? Does the thumbclick work the same for e-mail on the 7100? Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks,

Scott Pettifer

NJBlackBerry
05-21-2005, 04:43 PM
I had a 7230, and switched to a 7100t when they first came out. I really wanted to love it. Never happened. I switched to a 7290 and haven't looked back.

The good:
It's a good phone. Some have reported Bluetooth problems, but I didn't have them. It's a great form factor and has a speakerphone. Suretype, the technology that figures out what word you are typing using the keypad, is brilliant.

The bad:
The screen washes out in sunlight. Suretype, while brilliant, isn't brilliant enough for me. I was never able to type as quickly or comfortably as I was with the 7230.

Bottom line: If you use the BB primarily as a phone, the 7100 is great. If you use the BB as a data/e-mail device, I would recommend the new T-Mobile 7290.

Just my .02 :-)

markz
05-21-2005, 05:03 PM
I agree with the previous on how good the suretype is and wanted to love the 7100 but the phone was lousy too...lousy sound, everyone complained about the tinny sound and background noise

NJBlackBerry
05-21-2005, 05:39 PM
I never had that complaint (tinny sound). I had a 7100t on T-Mobile.

li2327
05-21-2005, 08:15 PM
Ihave had a 7100t,treo 600,sidekick2,and now 7230. Luv the 7230.downloaded. 4.0 software from tmobile site and it has been smooth sailing ever since.