PDA

View Full Version : I-Notes agent for BES 4.0

amukhey
05-22-2005, 11:55 AM
If anyone is using bes 4.0 SP1 on a Domino 6.5.4 Server, the only way to make the address book wireless is to sync with i-notes. Has anyone come up with a way to make this an automatic sync usinn an agent?

rsun
05-22-2005, 11:58 AM
You still need to have the iNotes template, then I changed the "Sync Address Book" into an agent that would run automatically each hour.

amukhey
05-22-2005, 01:20 PM
automatically run each hour? What about if you have 2000 users, 2 mail servers 2 BEs production servers and at least 400 people with more than 300 contacts in their address book. That is a lot of server work for replicating each hour?!

rsun
05-22-2005, 03:54 PM
As far as I can tell, when the agent runs, it only applies to updates. Unless the user is manually touching all their contacts, at most it's updating a few contacts every once in a while.

amukhey
05-22-2005, 09:05 PM
That is a good idea but as far as I know, when the agent runs, it will still run through all the contacts and make the edits to which ever contact was touched. So it user 1 has 2000 contacts and modifies 20 of them (realistically), it will run through 2000 of them and make the edits to the 20...my thoughts are its still going to run from 1-2000 which is critical time and work for the server to do so.

Phigment
05-23-2005, 08:47 AM
Since address books are pretty small, I created an app that allows users to upload their address book to our BES server. The users then get an email to do the initial replication and forget about it. Ont he admin side, I get an email when the user's address book is uploaded and then go in and change their properties in the BES. The additional positives about this are that we have a backup of their address book if anything should happen to their computer or hard drive and that they can synch their address book with their home and work computers as well as their blackberries.

How are you handling people accessing other mail files or their mail files from other machines? This is especially true of the admin group and the helpdesk when they switch IDs to do trobleshooting.

amukhey
05-23-2005, 10:25 AM
Helpdesk doesnt have enough rights to delete their replicas-unless they go the windows explorer way when the Lotus client is shut. Otherwise, only admin group and local domain admin group have those rights. Users have mgr access to their own pnab.

Sean, would it be possible to see the app you creAted?

jwcanada
05-23-2005, 10:35 AM
We have been testing an app that another company had used. Its basis was that upon loggin to the Notes client it would replicate the address book up to the server. The only concern is if you have users that log into walkup machines it will try to replicate that address book...which is most likely blank and it will most likely overrides your current address book....also is concerning if and admin is duplicating a Notes issue in a test lab and only brings down the users ID file...when the admin logs into notes it will replicate the blank address book. But there are ways to tweak this we just haven't gotten that far yet.

amukhey
05-23-2005, 10:39 AM
We have the agent that does this...its a "call" for the replication to happen. The only thing is that we are playing around with the schedule as to when to run. Cant be upon notes login because sometimes the client is having issues and then they restart the client....too much work for 2 mail servers for 1600 users in one day

kdtjlamb
06-03-2005, 07:47 AM
We set up the agent on the client side. It syncs with the local replica, which is pushed to the Inotes template during the normal replication schedule, that is set on each desktop...