PDA

View Full Version : T-Mobile OS 4.2 Coming in Late August

shona67
07-31-2007, 01:33 PM
T-Mobile 8700g owners,

Just got off phone from T-Mobile Customer Support in 10 minutes ago. A customer rep. was very kind and contacted with T-Mobile’s BlackBerry Tech Dept. regarding OS 4.2 upgrades. I learnt that T-Mobile USA scheduled to release BB8700g’s OS 4.2 last 25th July but they decided to postpone until end of August or early September. They want to do more testing and don’t like to release anything until they are sure it will work! ;-)

So therefore, please have a faith and be patience.

jeremyckitching
07-31-2007, 01:37 PM
It will be nice to have this supported by them, but I couldn't wait and just had to upgrade to the latest version of 4.2.

Ophidian
07-31-2007, 03:23 PM
It will be nice to have this supported by them, but I couldn't wait and just had to upgrade to the latest version of 4.2.

True, but there are a few of us who still have issues with calls cutting out on the .96 version, so an actual T-Mobile release will be very appreciated by us.

I hope this rumor pans out

VickyPaz
08-01-2007, 06:00 AM
I'd be interested to see what their version is like but the att version I loaded works nice so far. Big diffrence from the TM .346 OS I had before. So far no dropped calls but will keep testing.

JGBerry
08-01-2007, 07:23 AM
T-Mobile 8700g owners,

Just got off phone from T-Mobile Customer Support in 10 minutes ago. A customer rep. was very kind and contacted with T-Mobile’s BlackBerry Tech Dept. regarding OS 4.2 upgrades. I learnt that T-Mobile USA scheduled to release BB8700g’s OS 4.2 last 25th July but they decided to postpone until end of August or early September. They want to do more testing and don’t like to release anything until they are sure it will work! ;-)

So therefore, please have a faith and be patience.

i already have the 4.2 OS T-mobile 8700g version. i was having issues in a particular cell site and they couldnt figure out what was going on, so they decided to try out the new beta OS (4.2) on me. They did it and it seemed to fix the problem.

But yea...I already have the 4.2 OS for the 8700g. it's pretty good, but definitely slows down the BB a bit. you get used to it though.

they need to come out with a new OZ messaging program though, because the one they have now is not compatible with 4.2
it doesn't really matter to me though, b/c I used JiveTalk

jeproks
08-01-2007, 07:29 AM
i already have the 4.2 OS T-mobile 8700g version. i was having issues in a particular cell site and they couldnt figure out what was going on, so they decided to try out the new beta OS (4.2) on me. They did it and it seemed to fix the problem.

But yea...I already have the 4.2 OS for the 8700g. it's pretty good, but definitely slows down the BB a bit. you get used to it though.

they need to come out with a new OZ messaging program though, because the one they have now is not compatible with 4.2
it doesn't really matter to me though, b/c I used JiveTalk

Is there a way you can send me the link to the beta software and see if it will fix some problems with ATT 4.2 such as my external speaker turns on and off making a clicking sound, device reboots when playing games or ringtones, etc.

madnesss
08-01-2007, 10:32 AM
is there a beta version? I'd like to have a copy of it as well, just to see if there truly is any point in upgrading...

VickyPaz
08-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Why not try the v4.2.1.155/4.2.1.96 version that is listed in the 'sticky' at the top of this forum? I realize it's not the TM version but I'm on TM and I upgraded with no problems. So far, haven't had dropped calls but still testing. The OS works great!

JSanders
08-01-2007, 10:39 AM
There is no "beta" version. The carriers will test and certify for support a "release" of the OS. Another carrier may have a release very similar. In this case, other carriers' releases such as that of AT&T are working well on the TMo branded 8700g.

I am betting the TMo release of 4.2xx is just around the corner, since even AT&T has released theirs in the past month.

bjallen2880
08-01-2007, 12:15 PM
True, but there are a few of us who still have issues with calls cutting out on the .96 version, so an actual T-Mobile release will be very appreciated by us.

I hope this rumor pans out

I have the .96 version as well. By "cutting out" do you mean where you are travelling and it seems like the call isn't getting handed off to the next tower? You still hear the normal backround noise to the call, but the other caller cannot hear you nor can you hear them and the call is still active?

JGBerry
08-01-2007, 12:17 PM
There is no "beta" version. The carriers will test and certify for support a "release" of the OS. Another carrier may have a release very similar. In this case, other carriers' releases such as that of AT&T are working well on the TMo branded 8700g.

I am betting the TMo release of 4.2xx is just around the corner, since even AT&T has released theirs in the past month.

what i mean by "beta version" is that the version is still in testing and it's not an official version yet...
t-mobile currently refers to the 4.2 OS they are testing as the "beta version"

JGBerry
08-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Is there a way you can send me the link to the beta software and see if it will fix some problems with ATT 4.2 such as my external speaker turns on and off making a clicking sound, device reboots when playing games or ringtones, etc.

sorry, a regional network engineer put it on my BB. i do not have it to give away

JGBerry
08-01-2007, 12:21 PM
and FYI...

the T-Mobile 4.2 OS software that will be coming out will be 4.2.1.91 (NOT 96)

Ophidian
08-01-2007, 01:27 PM
I have the .96 version as well. By "cutting out" do you mean where you are travelling and it seems like the call isn't getting handed off to the next tower? You still hear the normal backround noise to the call, but the other caller cannot hear you nor can you hear them and the call is still active?

The problem that I personally have experienced with the .96 version (and all versions of 4.2) is that the call just goes dead.. they can't hear you, you can't hear them and you hear occasional popping/hissing noises. My wife's Pearl did the same thing when I upgraded her OS above .66 (I believe)

Since then I have rolled back the upgrades, and my 8700 is back on 4.1 with no call dropping issues whatsoever.. it's really frustrating.. I can't wait till T-Mobile releases a 4.2 that way, if it still has issues I have a leg to stand on when I call customer care, since right now they tell me they can't do anything since I'm not running "T-Mobile approved software"

JGBerry
08-01-2007, 02:28 PM
The problem that I personally have experienced with the .96 version (and all versions of 4.2) is that the call just goes dead.. they can't hear you, you can't hear them and you hear occasional popping/hissing noises. My wife's Pearl did the same thing when I upgraded her OS above .66 (I believe)

Since then I have rolled back the upgrades, and my 8700 is back on 4.1 with no call dropping issues whatsoever.. it's really frustrating.. I can't wait till T-Mobile releases a 4.2 that way, if it still has issues I have a leg to stand on when I call customer care, since right now they tell me they can't do anything since I'm not running "T-Mobile approved software"

i have never experienced this...

Ophidian
08-01-2007, 03:52 PM
i have never experienced this...

Well, there are a few of us who have had this problem...

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8100-series-discussion/87077-ridiculous-dropped-calls.html

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8700-series-discussion/81445-latest-os-release-8700g-c-gsm-only-v4-2-1-155-4-2-1-96-a-3.html#post616383

falleyne
08-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Well if the .91 release is the one for TMO then that's the one i'm running. it's the 4.2 for BHARTI - below is the link if you havent got it already. working well for me. had it for the day.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=BD4C9AB730F5513206B999EC0D90D1FB

trying to load MyFaves - its not that it doesnt work - i thnk i'm doing something wrong - or maybe my SIM needs to be capable? I havent asked TMO for the myFaves service yet. so who knows. hope this helps someone.

VickyPaz
08-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Well, there are a few of us who have had this problem...

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8100-series-discussion/87077-ridiculous-dropped-calls.html

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8700-series-discussion/81445-latest-os-release-8700g-c-gsm-only-v4-2-1-155-4-2-1-96-a-3.html#post616383

Thanks for linking these...it's good to be aware of potential problems. I'm keeping my eye out for calls dropping. keeping my fingers crossed.

Ophidian
08-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Well if the .91 release is the one for TMO then that's the one i'm running. it's the 4.2 for BHARTI - below is the link if you havent got it already. working well for me. had it for the day.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=BD4C9AB730F5513206B999EC0D90D1FB

trying to load MyFaves - its not that it doesnt work - i thnk i'm doing something wrong - or maybe my SIM needs to be capable? I havent asked TMO for the myFaves service yet. so who knows. hope this helps someone.

Well, I just loaded up the .91 Bharti version, crossed my fingers, and sure enough... after 2 mins the call cut out, so it would appear that at least in my case, the issue is there, so hopefully T-Mobile either releases a non .91 version, or a re-calibrated .91 version (which I would assume would therefore not be .91)

back to the waiting game

illy
08-02-2007, 11:36 AM
sorry, a regional network engineer put it on my BB. i do not have it to give away

what is your version number? Probably that T-mobile engineer used the handheld software from another provider to program your blackberry :)

madnesss
08-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Maybe I've misunderstood - the version listed here will only work on gsm phones, not cdma, correct? (Mine's a cdma 8703e)...

JGBerry
08-02-2007, 07:40 PM
what is your version number? Probably that T-mobile engineer used the handheld software from another provider to program your blackberry :)

the T-Mobile 4.2 OS software that will be coming out (and what I was given by the regional engineer) will be 4.2.1.91 (NOT .96)

John Clark
08-02-2007, 08:46 PM
See Jibi's post here (http://www.blackberryforums.com/rumor-mill/88742-awaiting-t-mobile-update.html#post621577)

I hope it's later than 4.2.1.91 as that version has bluetooth issues and if I remember correctly, Opera Mini doesn't work.

JGBerry
08-03-2007, 10:12 AM
See Jibi's post here (http://www.blackberryforums.com/rumor-mill/88742-awaiting-t-mobile-update.html#post621577)

I hope it's later than 4.2.1.91 as that version has bluetooth issues and if I remember correctly, Opera Mini doesn't work.

damn that sucks. i dont use my blackberry for voice calling at the moment. i have a verizon cell phone for that. i just use the blackberry for email and tethering, so i wouldn't know anything about the bluetooth or opera mini. yea i hope t-mobile comes out with the most recent release.

VickyPaz
08-04-2007, 05:15 PM

I wonder if you could answer this...I'm on TM running the .96 version (from ATT) that is posted on a sticky on this forum...do you happen to know what the difference is between the .96 version and the .91 version that TM will provide soon (assuming it is .91)?

I'm just trying to see if it's better to stay where I'm at with the .96 (so far have had no issues) or download an authorized TM OS.

Thanks.

JGBerry
08-05-2007, 11:07 AM
I wonder if you could answer this...I'm on TM running the .96 version (from ATT) that is posted on a sticky on this forum...do you happen to know what the difference is between the .96 version and the .91 version that TM will provide soon (assuming it is .91)?

I'm just trying to see if it's better to stay where I'm at with the .96 (so far have had no issues) or download an authorized TM OS.

Thanks.

i dont know the difference to be honest. maybe RIM would know?

Perfect Storm
08-05-2007, 11:34 AM

Thanks.
There is no difference between different carrier brandings of software. Among the most annoying bugs in 4.2.1.91 was the fact that Opera Mini did not work.

If 4.2.1.96 is working for you, you will get no advantage out of downgrading.

VickyPaz
08-06-2007, 05:49 AM
If 4.2.1.96 is working for you, you will get no advantage out of downgrading.
'
Thanks. I didn't think so. I assume then the only advantage for me on using the TM authorized OS is if there's a problem with the service on my BB, I get better support. I can't imagine they would help me knowing I wasn't even running their OS. Then again, I'd probably get better support on this forum anyway :0)

leedc
08-06-2007, 05:52 AM
i keep waitin' for a longtime
ohh thank god
it's comin'