PDA

View Full Version : If I get a new BB, will my BES administrator know?

njbenny
07-31-2007, 05:01 PM
I love my BB 8700 but our company is slowly moving to windows mobile. Currently, if you need a new PDA they make you get a windows mobile device. My 8700 is pretty hopelessly damaged, and I was wondering if I went on my own and bought a new or refurb 8700 (at my own expense) and put my current SIMM card in the new device - would our IT people need to do anything to activate the device in the BES server? (In other words can I switch devices and not get caught?)

ladydi
07-31-2007, 05:08 PM
Yes, you could possibly get away with it. You could tell them that you accidentally wiped the device and need a new activation password. then just activate the new BB.

As an BES Admin, I have to tell you not to do that. If they keep inventory of the PIN's, they will know you switched it. If it is a corporate device and not a personal one, I really recommend you not do that because you could be fired. Good luck and sorry to hear about the windows mobile thing.

ShaneToronto
07-31-2007, 06:52 PM
/snip/
As an BES Admin, I have to tell you not to do that.
/snip/

Did you have to take an oath? 8-)

mebiuspower
07-31-2007, 07:03 PM
Don't kid yourself, BES admin can see everything on your BB user account.

Yeah, ask me how I know. ;-)

Berry One
07-31-2007, 07:10 PM
I love my BB 8700 but our company is slowly moving to windows mobile. Currently, if you need a new PDA they make you get a windows mobile device. My 8700 is pretty hopelessly damaged, and I was wondering if I went on my own and bought a new or refurb 8700 (at my own expense) and put my current SIMM card in the new device - would our IT people need to do anything to activate the device in the BES server? (In other words can I switch devices and not get caught?)

Ask yourself what is more important to you: a brand of a PDA or your job and do what is right for you.

LovingMyBB
07-31-2007, 07:16 PM
Its pretty easy for the BES Admin to see your device stats. Depending on the # of folks on your BES would probably determine if they really noticed or not. As a BES Admin myself it wouldn't matter to me, but your I.T dept may beg to differ.

My Blog (http://btkuhn.blogspot.com)

crazydude
07-31-2007, 07:27 PM
here is a nice post by penguin3107penguin3107 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-admin-corner/87635-what-cant-they-see.html)

how much of the device can be seen by the BES Admin?
All of it.

Are all the device settings exposed?
Yes.

IS the model number of the device available?
Yes.

BIS email, is that available to the BES admin?
Sometimes.

I understand PIN messages just go through RIM
But they're still on the device, and can be logged on the BES. A BES admin can see the content of your PIN and SMS messages.

but what about data from third party apps and web site traffic?
Depends on the app... but web traffic can be logged at the BES as well.