PDA

View Full Version : Chinese language support 8830

grasshopper
08-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Hi everyone,

I have read through the FAQs and reviewed several threads on the topic of getting Chinese language support into one's BB. I own an 8830 and I have not seen specific details regarding a process for performing this task. My preliminary questions on getting Chinese text support into my BB are:

Which of the many OS files is the best one to use on an 8830? (none seem to be built exactly for the 8830 that I can locate)

Can someone please advise on the precise steps needed to safely upgrade to an OS without losing any functionality? (this is my first upgrade)

Is this a safe thing to do? (I have already backed up my BB, downloaded a couple of Ch/En OS versions and I am also going to save out my registry and backup the folder structure before uninstalling)

My goal is to be able to see both Chinese and English characters in my OS at the end of the process without losing any functionality from the BB.

Any additional words of advice that I should know about? (I noted some talk on various threads about 'jibis', 'alx' files, etc.)

Before I jump the gun - is it possible that I could just install some fonts to get the chinese language support in the OS that I need and if so where can I grab the files?

thanks for any advice.

It's my first post so sorry if I overlooked something obvious.

davcho64
08-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Unfortunately, Verizon has crippled the 8830. I was looking for Korean text support, and learned that it is not possible in anyway. We have to wait for Verizon to release a new O/S in order to get this text support. Additionally, it is very unlikely for another carrier in Asia to create an O/S for a CDMA Blackberry, especially considering Asia mostly uses the GSM technology.

banderas
08-01-2007, 07:55 PM
If you only need to support Chinese characters, you could try install net_rim_font_chinese.cod which can be found in 8800.
For Chinese input, i have no idea. :(

CBR900RR
08-01-2007, 08:46 PM
To view chinese, you can install the (Multilanguage) OS on the sticky above.

Bell Mobility/Sprint:

Software For BlackBerry 8830 (TM)
BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.2.240 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.2.2.240
Consisting of:
Applications: 4.2.2.123
Software Platform: 3.0.0.64
File name: 8830EFS_PBr4.2.2_rel240_PL3.0.0.64_A4.2.2.123_Bell _Mobility.exe
File size: 70.01MB

grasshopper
08-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Unfortunately, Verizon has crippled the 8830. I was looking for Korean text support, and learned that it is not possible in anyway. We have to wait for Verizon to release a new O/S in order to get this text support. Additionally, it is very unlikely for another carrier in Asia to create an O/S for a CDMA Blackberry, especially considering Asia mostly uses the GSM technology.

I called BB tech support and tried to get an official package from them with Chinese language built in... They advised that the carriers are in charge of the languages supplied with their phones. I explained that as a programmer I felt comfortable trying other OS's and they agreed it might be worthwhile.

So that's how I started. I downloaded a lot of the OS setups from the sticky threads on this forum. A number of these posts pointed to 'Multi-Language' downloads. in my case these files did not have Chinese as an option. I did find some files for the curve that specify 'Chinese/English' as an option.

I have also had some success with just loading the fonts to be able to display the language.

I am thinking of putting the Curve OS (Chi/Eng) version on my 8830 and see how it works. I have also successfully downgraded to my original VZW OS file so I am sure that I can back out to my original OS at any time.

Throughout the way I have lost connectivity with the unit in several ways including:

507 error
blinking red LED (no screen at all)

I fixed these issues by remove battery and try reloading the application loader on the desktop software. Even with the BB having lost all OS the Desktop software still found and reconnected to the BB.

Not sure how far I should take this experiment but I know one thing for certain.

This blackberry takes a licking and keeps right on ticking.

banderas
08-03-2007, 12:00 AM
I called BB tech support and tried to get an official package from them with Chinese language built in... They advised that the carriers are in charge of the languages supplied with their phones. I explained that as a programmer I felt comfortable trying other OS's and they agreed it might be worthwhile.

So that's how I started. I downloaded a lot of the OS setups from the sticky threads on this forum. A number of these posts pointed to 'Multi-Language' downloads. in my case these files did not have Chinese as an option. I did find some files for the curve that specify 'Chinese/English' as an option.

I have also had some success with just loading the fonts to be able to display the language.

I am thinking of putting the Curve OS (Chi/Eng) version on my 8830 and see how it works. I have also successfully downgraded to my original VZW OS file so I am sure that I can back out to my original OS at any time.

Throughout the way I have lost connectivity with the unit in several ways including:

507 error
blinking red LED (no screen at all)

I fixed these issues by remove battery and try reloading the application loader on the desktop software. Even with the BB having lost all OS the Desktop software still found and reconnected to the BB.

Not sure how far I should take this experiment but I know one thing for certain.

This blackberry takes a licking and keeps right on ticking.

I have the same experience as you. Install chinese fond and BB can display the chinese character. But when i try to install the input method, chinese.alx from 8800. BB crashed during rebooting with 507 error. So it seems that 8830 is not compatible with 8800 in term of chinese input method. It is so weird. The cod, java application should be platform crossable and the difference between 8800 and 8830 seems only the radio. However they can not share the chinese input method.

CBR900RR
08-03-2007, 04:58 AM
I believe you also need all the .COD file which the CHINESE.ALX file refer/pointed to, in order to do the Chinese language input, display.

COD file is inside

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8800-vx.x.x.x_Px.x.x.xx\Java

This is a list of COD require for my 4.2.1.164 (Chinese)SmarTone_Vodafone_(HK)

net_rim_bb_resource__zh_CN.cod
net_rim_bb_diagnostic_resource__zh.cod
net_rim_bb_diagnostic_resource__zh_CN.cod
net_rim_bb_options_chinese.cod

net_rim_font_chinese.cod
net_rim_font_chinese_hong_kong.cod

net_rim_platform_im_resource__zh_CN.cod
net_rim_platformapps_resource__zh_CN.cod
net_rim_platform_resource__zh_CN_WuBiHua.cod
net_rim_platform_resource__zh_CN_Pinyin.cod
net_rim_platform_resource__zh_CN_CangJei.cod
net_rim_platform_resource__zh_CN.cod
net_rim_platform_resource__zh.cod
net_rim_platform_resource__zh_HK_Jyutping.cod
net_rim_platform_resource__zh_HK_CangJei.cod
net_rim_platform_resource__zh_HK.cod
net_rim_platform_resource__zh_TW_CangJei.cod

net_rim_runtime_resource__zh_CN.cod

net_rim_tid_chinese_jni_UPR.cod
net_rim_tid_chinese_wubi.cod
net_rim_tid_chinese_CangJeiSimpl.cod
net_rim_tid_chinese_CangJei.cod
net_rim_tid_chinese_Jyutping.cod
net_rim_tid_chinese_jni_core.cod
net_rim_tid_chinese_cj_core.cod
net_rim_tid_dynamic_ling_data_chinese_CN_wordlist. cod
net_rim_tid_dynamic_ling_data_CN_Pinyin_shortcuts. cod
net_rim_tid_dynamic_ling_data_chinese_Wubizixing_w ordlist.cod
net_rim_tid_dynamic_ling_data_chinese_HKJ_wordlist .cod
net_rim_tid_dynamic_ling_data_HK_Jyutping_shortcut s.cod
net_rim_tid_dynamic_ling_data_chinese_TW_CangJei_w ordlist.cod
net_rim_tid_dynamic_transcoding_data_Big5_HKSCS.cod
net_rim_tid_dynamic_transcoding_data_EUC_CN.cod

If you want to do it manually, I can send you the file above, but no guarantee that it will work.

banderas
08-05-2007, 04:55 AM
I believe you also need all the .COD file which the CHINESE.ALX file refer/pointed to, in order to do the Chinese language input, display.

COD file is inside

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8800-vx.x.x.x_Px.x.x.xx\Java

This is a list of COD require for my 4.2.1.164 (Chinese)SmarTone_Vodafone_(HK)

net_rim_bb_resource__zh_CN.cod
net_rim_bb_diagnostic_resource__zh.cod
net_rim_bb_diagnostic_resource__zh_CN.cod
net_rim_bb_options_chinese.cod

net_rim_font_chinese.cod
net_rim_font_chinese_hong_kong.cod

net_rim_platform_im_resource__zh_CN.cod
net_rim_platformapps_resource__zh_CN.cod
net_rim_platform_resource__zh_CN_WuBiHua.cod
net_rim_platform_resource__zh_CN_Pinyin.cod
net_rim_platform_resource__zh_CN_CangJei.cod
net_rim_platform_resource__zh_CN.cod
net_rim_platform_resource__zh.cod
net_rim_platform_resource__zh_HK_Jyutping.cod
net_rim_platform_resource__zh_HK_CangJei.cod
net_rim_platform_resource__zh_HK.cod
net_rim_platform_resource__zh_TW_CangJei.cod

net_rim_runtime_resource__zh_CN.cod

net_rim_tid_chinese_jni_UPR.cod
net_rim_tid_chinese_wubi.cod
net_rim_tid_chinese_CangJeiSimpl.cod
net_rim_tid_chinese_CangJei.cod
net_rim_tid_chinese_Jyutping.cod
net_rim_tid_chinese_jni_core.cod
net_rim_tid_chinese_cj_core.cod
net_rim_tid_dynamic_ling_data_chinese_CN_wordlist. cod
net_rim_tid_dynamic_ling_data_CN_Pinyin_shortcuts. cod
net_rim_tid_dynamic_ling_data_chinese_Wubizixing_w ordlist.cod
net_rim_tid_dynamic_ling_data_chinese_HKJ_wordlist .cod
net_rim_tid_dynamic_ling_data_HK_Jyutping_shortcut s.cod
net_rim_tid_dynamic_ling_data_chinese_TW_CangJei_w ordlist.cod
net_rim_tid_dynamic_transcoding_data_Big5_HKSCS.cod
net_rim_tid_dynamic_transcoding_data_EUC_CN.cod

If you want to do it manually, I can send you the file above, but no guarantee that it will work.

I have tried these from Smartone HK for 8800, but failed. BB will show 507 error during boot up. 8800 is not compatible with 8830.
Or there is chinese input basic lib which is built in main os image and missed here.

kerwinhsu
10-29-2007, 05:47 PM
Hi All,

I am a new user for Verizon 8830. I don't really know how to download Chinese Font in order to read chinese language. Could you please let me what to download and where to find the file?

Million thanks!

georgejialab
10-29-2007, 10:43 PM
i HAVE DOWNLOADED A PROGRAM FROM A CHINESE WEBSITE, WHICH i THINK IS DESIGNED FOR THE 7 SERIES, But i DID SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED IT. as well, I can actually input Chinese in my 8830, the problem is they don't show properly in the SMS section, but is fine with all others (e-mail). I will go back to China this winter, and see if the SMS part actually works fine, without showing properly. So I will let you know if you want to wait. plus, you have to pay 15 yuan (which is like 2 dollars) to register it. here is their website: BlackBerryÈí¼þÌع©Õ¾--BBAuto Mobile Communications Limited. (http://bbauto.siteem.com)

GT5L
10-30-2007, 01:27 PM
I can help with Chinese language, send me a PM

djaramil
07-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Hi, your post said to email you directly but this forum won't let me email you until I have enough posts.

I've been able to get chinese to display, but can't seem to find where to download the necessary files for the chinese input methods.

Can you tell me what I need and where I can get it from ?

I have a sprint 8830 device.

hogchow
07-11-2008, 11:59 AM
I can't get anything to work. The multilanguage supported version of BB OS i installed from Sprint don't have Chinese language packages.

Can anyone help?

EDIT:

When I tried to install a Chinese.alx, what came up is this error:

net.rim.blackberry.inputMethodCoreFull

Anyone know where I can get my hands on something like this?

hogchow
07-20-2008, 09:55 PM
help ^^^ :\

Still nothing that will allow me to read Chinese or any asian language fonts.