PDA

View Full Version : Ipod in included blackberry 7100g holster??

smigs
05-23-2005, 02:33 PM
Whenever am using my blackberry to send email and I am listening to my ipod, I would like to put my Ipod in the blackberry holster. Any comments on this? Does anyone do it? I am hesitant because of the magnet that is in the case to trigger the sleep mode. I have done some searching on google and this forum, but could not find a definitive answer. My gut tells me it is bad to put a magnet that close to a hard drive, but it would be very convenient for me!

Thanks,
smigs

penguin3107
05-23-2005, 02:40 PM
Go with your gut.

Chances are, nothing is going to get hurt. I treasure my iPod more than my BlackBerry... and I know I wouldn't risk it.

BaronVonBB
05-27-2005, 11:07 AM
NO way will I put my iPod into the 7100g holster! Besides, I already have a cool holster type cover from Belkin that provides that functionality!

Dawg
05-27-2005, 11:18 AM
treasure ipod over blackberry OMG thats blasphemey lol

Brad00111
05-27-2005, 11:56 AM
Well think about this.....The BB Holster has a Magnet in it, it may be very small, but Magnet's and Hard drives do not mix.

I would not suggest it.

robhawley
05-27-2005, 12:23 PM
iPod mini or shuffle should be OK to put in it.

corey@12mile
05-27-2005, 12:35 PM
Tha magnet in the holster is hardly enough to do any type of damage to anything. A speaker inside a PC case is much bigger and stronger than the magnet in the holster and they are usually fairly close to the hard drive. I really wouldn't worry about it.

cd.

GearHead
05-27-2005, 01:40 PM
iPod mini or shuffle should be OK to put in it.

Shuffle, yes. Mini, no. The Mini is still HD based, so has the same potential magnet problems as the regular iPod.

spdrcr5
05-28-2005, 12:36 AM
The magnet in a BB case is not even close to being strong enough to damage a hard drive. I have taken some fairly large magnets to hard drives to see if it will damage them and nothing happened.

If you really want to see what sort of damage can be done using a magnet and a hard drive... get a rare earth magnet. :)

If I didn't have an iskin and 4g ipod I would try and put mine into my holster...

Larry

9balla4life
05-28-2005, 02:17 AM
doesn't the IPOD have a mini LCD screen??? won't the magnet ruin the LCD is the POD was put upside down with the LCD facing the magnet won't it cause it to "bleed?" Thought that it was the same with a regular TV and comp screen...

spdrcr5
05-28-2005, 08:32 AM
There are already two giant magnets inside an iPod... both of them reside inside the hard drive and neither of them is insulated from the screen. These two magnets are probably a few hundred times stronger than the wimpy little magnet inside a BB case.

Besides... what kind of screen is in a BB? The magnet doesn't affect them, right? :)

9balla4life
05-28-2005, 11:18 PM
Larry, what did you mean when you said, "what kind of screen is in a BB?" The magnet is on the opposite side of the screen... anyways, you're probably right. Just remembered that magnets have a bad effect on LCD screens like putting a magnet on the screen of a TV... I must be going crazy.

spdrcr5
05-29-2005, 12:16 AM
Larry, what did you mean when you said, "what kind of screen is in a BB?" The magnet is on the opposite side of the screen... anyways, you're probably right. Just remembered that magnets have a bad effect on LCD screens like putting a magnet on the screen of a TV... I must be going crazy.

I know where the magnet is in a BB case, my point was there is a magnet in a BB case and it has zero effect on the screen and an ipod is a similar screen. The magnet isn't really on the "opposite" side from the screen as I see tons of people put their BB into the case backwards all the time. lol

A magnet will have much more of an effect on a CRT(TV, old computer monitor, etc)... LCD is a liquid crystal display and a magnet should not do anything to those.

9balla4life
05-29-2005, 12:25 AM
Larry, you're right.