PDA

View Full Version : Possible to use BES and Web Client?

chrisbw
05-23-2005, 03:42 PM
Hi,

I have a 7230 that I've been using with the Web Client to access my personal e-mail. My company now has a BES server, and I'm flirting with the idea of using that to be able to access my business mail. I think I already know the answer to this is "no" but I thought I would check in case anyone knew otherwise or had a clever idea -- is there any way to support both the Web Client for receiving/sending my personal mail, as well as the BES server for accessing my business e-mail, or is it an "exlusive or" setup?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

NJBlackBerry
05-23-2005, 03:52 PM
You can run both of them - I do, as do many others. They are not exclusive in any way. You set up your BB on the BlackBerry Web Client (new name: BlackBerry Internet Service) for your specific carrier and that's about it.

When you compose a message, you can choose from "Desktop" (BES) or "Web Client".

It works very nicely.

chrisbw
05-23-2005, 03:58 PM
You can run both of them - I do, as do many others. They are not exclusive in any way. You set up your BB on the BlackBerry Web Client (new name: BlackBerry Internet Service) for your specific carrier and that's about it.

When you compose a message, you can choose from "Desktop" (BES) or "Web Client".

It works very nicely.

Very cool. Is there anything special I need to do or any "gotcha's" I should be aware of? I knew I came to the right place :)

Thanks,
Chris

NJBlackBerry
05-23-2005, 05:05 PM
No gotchas; been doing it this ways since the BWC was released.

Soapm
05-23-2005, 05:11 PM
No gotchas; been doing it this ways since the BWC was released.

Two questions on this note since I am planning the same thing, do you have seperate boxes for company mail and personal? How does your personal mail not sync to the company mail since they are both in the inbox? Will I get alerted each time a new email arrives?

I get a loooot of mail (200+) per day and many have attachments. The BB has only 32 megs of memory. What am I missing here?

Edit: I guess i can't count...

NJBlackBerry
05-23-2005, 05:16 PM
Do you have seperate boxes for company mail and personal?
No; the BB does not have an Inbox. It has a Messages folder. All of your inbound messages, including mail, PIN to PIN and SMS, are comingled.

How does your personal mail not sync to the company mail since they are both in the inbox?
No. They are different; different e-mail addresses. Different Service Books. BWC e-mail does not get reconciled to Outlook/company e-mail.

Will I get alerted each time a new email arrives?
Same alert for both types of mail.

I get a loooot of mail (200+) per day and many have attachments. The BB has only 32 megs of memory. What am I missing here?
No problem. The attachments, which are translated to text, only come down when you open them. If you start to run out, the BB will start to toss out the oldest messages.

P.S. Some days I get over 1000 messages; my record was over 1500 (mostly machine generated). No problem.

rsun
05-23-2005, 05:34 PM
It's funny how "only" 32 MB of memory is enough to store lots of stuff. With compression and storing only what you "need", and with it's ondemand nature, it's more then adequate to hold thousands of messages at a time.

Soapm
05-23-2005, 05:42 PM
P.S. Some days I get over 1000 messages; my record was over 1500 (mostly machine generated). No problem.

Wow, that makes me look like a slacker. Maybe of I got off this forum and got to work I could get more messages.

NJBlackBerry
05-23-2005, 05:45 PM
Nah - just get a ton of machine generated e-mail (I didn't say I read or responded to them) :-)

The quantity of e-mail was one reason I switched back from a 7100t, which I wanted to love, to a 7290..

Soapm
05-23-2005, 06:14 PM
Nah - just get a ton of machine generated e-mail (I didn't say I read or responded to them) :-)

The quantity of e-mail was one reason I switched back from a 7100t, which I wanted to love, to a 7290..

What a concept, I wonder if I can trade in my wife for a different model. One that likes me for who I am and not trying to make me into a caring, loving, non BB/computer owning guy she wants.