PDA

View Full Version : Verizon 8830 Sync Issues

FriedCutlets
08-07-2007, 09:58 AM
Today I received the 8830 World Edition from Verizon. Unlike the Palm Treo I had, it's not syncing my calendar and contacts. Do you need to have a Microsoft Exchange Server in order to use wireless reconciliation or is there another way around it?

:idea:

John Clark
08-07-2007, 12:12 PM
You need to be on a BES system in order to wirelessly sync calendar and contacts. You should be able to sync via USB with Outlook and a few other applications.

FriedCutlets
08-07-2007, 02:01 PM
Is there a way to sync it without connecting it to the USB? When I had the TREO, everything was done wirelessly.

John Clark
08-07-2007, 02:04 PM
You can sync via Bluetooth with your PC with the bluetooth connection taking the place of the USB connection.

However, for true wireless reconciling over the wireless network you'll need a BES connection. There are 3rd party providers for BES such as Exchangemymail.com, etc. Without a BES connection then connecting to the Desktop Manager is the only way to sync.

FriedCutlets
08-08-2007, 10:35 AM
You can sync via Bluetooth with your PC with the bluetooth connection taking the place of the USB connection.

However, for true wireless reconciling over the wireless network you'll need a BES connection. There are 3rd party providers for BES such as Exchangemymail.com, etc. Without a BES connection then connecting to the Desktop Manager is the only way to sync.

John, Blackberry offers the express version of their Enterprise Software, Free for small businesses like myself. The one thing that is required is an exchange server...is that true? If so, is that a matter of purchasing Microsoft Exchange Server software and installing it on the PC, or is there more to it? Syncing with the USB would be fine if I didn't travel that often, but I travel quite often and I have an assistant who adds contacts and appointments to my calendar. So being able to sync wirelessly is important.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

FriedCutlets
08-08-2007, 10:36 AM

...John, Blackberry offers the express version of their Enterprise Software, Free for small businesses like myself. The one thing that is required is an exchange server...is that true? If so, is that a matter of purchasing Microsoft Exchange Server software and installing it on the PC, or is there more to it? Syncing with the USB would be fine if I didn't travel that often, but I travel quite often and I have an assistant who adds contacts and appointments to my calendar. So being able to sync wirelessly is important.

Thoughts? Suggestions?