PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Concerns

dndcollect
08-07-2007, 07:12 PM
Ok here is my plan. I am going away on vacation in Florida, in Sand piper / Port Saint Lucie to be exact. I was planning on getting an 8700g from T Mobile with just a data plan for $29.99 a month. I do not need a calling plan at all, all my buisness is done through instant message and email.

Anyway, I got a little weirded out when looked at T-Mobile's coverage maps, It looks kind of scattered. Is EDGE the same as T Mobile's coverage on their maps?

Has anyone used this is Florida? Am I better off going with another provider?

I dont want to get down there and not be able to use it.

What I want to be able to do is wherever I am, either at the airport, or the resort, be able to receive emails and IM's through yahoo messenger.

Is this a reasonable plan or am I being a wishful thinker?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

aiharkness
08-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

T-Mobile's coverage map has been accurate for me, more or less. Some say don't trust the maps. Probably you can trust the no-coverage part but take the parts showing coverage at your own risk.

That.said, I generally get coverage on the Interstates and US Highways and in most fair sized cities. Get off on small state roads and county roads off the beaten path and it's a different story.

That's for what it's worth. Good luck.

x14
08-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Now problem with AT&T in Florida. I'm in Daytona Beach vacationing and I know someone who's in West Palm Beach vacationing. Both of us have no issue with coverage.

aiharkness
08-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Of course, would be excellent if someone in Port Saint Lucie on T-Mobile would see this and respond. Too much to hope for in the short term, probably.

aiharkness
08-07-2007, 09:18 PM

dndcollect, something else that may be helpful to you: I've been in areas where the signal was too low to sustain voice but I could still do email. I guess Yahoo Messenger would also work in that case, and definitely PIN messages.

Also, in weak signal areas, if you try to download a web page and lose signal, you can save the page request to your message folder and the blackberry will finish downloading as the signal comes in and out. Then you can open the web page from the message folder.

Hope that info is of help.

dndcollect
08-07-2007, 09:35 PM
thanks for the info. i really appreciate it.

it looks like ATT is the way to go instead of T Mobile. However it looked like T Mobile doesnt make you do 2 years, and I dont see the 8700g on the ATT site.

I want to log into like paypal and ebay, and also answer IM's with yahoo messenger and answer emails in my many yahoo accounts, it looks like from what i read the best one for this is the 8700g, is there another model that works as well?

JSanders
08-07-2007, 10:41 PM
The 8700c at ATT is the identical model as the 8700g.

I looked at Port Saint Lucie on the TMo map, and honestly, it looks good to me. You can put your resort's address in their street level coverage map and see exactly what the coverage is.

dndcollect
08-07-2007, 11:37 PM
It very well could be my ignorance in reading the map. What I see when I type in the address is like the 3rd or 4th best bar reception. Is that good enough?

If so I dont think i have anything to worry about. Is 2 or 3 bars enough to get the job done?

JSanders
08-07-2007, 11:44 PM
Let's change the terminology... 1 or 2 bars = not good.

3-5 bars = will get the job done.

But really, you won't know until you are there. If Cingular has better coverage, do that.

aiharkness
08-08-2007, 05:48 AM
Signal varies here in my hometown depending on where I'm at. At home, in the house, I typical see 1-2 bars on my 8700g, and I can do voice (phone) ok, and data with no problem. Used to not have EDGE at home, but lately just started getting it.

About AT&T, the OP is interested in using Yahoo Messenger for the blackberry. I believe the deal is AT&T BB's cannot use the YM version on the RIM website, but there is a version available directly from AT&T that works. Is that correct, or will the OP be out of luck altogether with YM on AT&T?

takeshi
08-08-2007, 07:43 AM
I'd recommend just giving a carrier a spin and testing out coverage during the trial period (you can always cancel and try another carrier if you're still in trial). It's the only way you can tell if coverage will meet your needs. Coverage maps can give you a rough idea but don't rely on them.

TMO's street level maps indicates that my house is in a "GOOD" area but I can't place or receive calls with them (even outdoors)... YMMV, as always.