PDA

View Full Version : 10 Steps to Downgrade to 3.8 from 4.0 OS on 7100

adamg187
05-24-2005, 03:40 PM
EDIT: Fixed link

Download 3.8 OS install file
http://www.t-mobileapps.com/downloadcenter/Software/BB_Handheld_7100t_3_8_0_128.exe

Go To Control Panel – Add/Remove Programs - Uninstall Desktop Manager 4.0

Go To Start - Search for vendor.xml file and delete

Run 3.8 OS install (downloaded from step 1)

Allow it to downgrade all 7100 applications (including apps like breakbreaker, browser, etc)

Allow software to Backup your data from your 7100 to your PC. On the last step of the OS install it will try to restore backup files and will HANG –
Unplug and plug-in the 7100 on the USB connection to get it to exit the program.

Reinstall Desktop Manager 4.0 and Run program
(Downgraded version of 7100 should sync with software, if it doesn’t repeat steps 2 and 7)

Select “Backup and Restore” icon – Now select Restore – choose backup file (created to backup data in step 6). now CANCEL restore operation
(if you don’ t cancel in time it will lockup on Bluetooth options, repeat steps 2 and 7).

Select Advanced (The data file will already be loaded) – In the Left Frame Select “Bluetooth Options” and Delete it. Now Save/Exit the advanced menu.

Select Restore (again) – this time run the restore function. It should upload all your data to your 7100 without hanging.

It may take up an hour for your internet and phone to be fully operational (after about 90 minutes and a few hard reboots I was up and running).

The 7100 will run and sound better than ever, but BES users will lose wireless sync function as 3.8 does not support that feature.

Please let me know if any clarification is needed on these instructions.
thanks,
AP

texasag90
05-24-2005, 04:31 PM
Can someone elaborate on "wireless sync function." I am not sure what this is. I reserve the right to say Doh! later... :razz:

adamg187
05-24-2005, 04:35 PM
Can someone elaborate on "wireless sync function." I am not sure what this is. I reserve the right to say Doh! later... :razz:

I think it allows BES users to have over-the-air sync of their calender from outlook.

texasag90
05-24-2005, 04:39 PM
Well, that is sort of why I am asking. I downgraded to 3.8, and my calendar sync is still working great...

flonman
05-24-2005, 10:07 PM
Really? what about contacts sync? Is it still working wirelessly?

texasag90
05-25-2005, 12:21 AM
No, but it never was. It is not supported by our BES guys. Not sure why (I did not actually know that contact sync was possible).

djseto
05-25-2005, 01:02 AM
The link doesnt work to the old software

adamg187
05-25-2005, 01:03 PM
The link doesnt work to the old software

Should work now.. thanks (y)

djseto
05-25-2005, 01:27 PM

Select “Backup and Restore” icon – Now select Restore – choose backup file (created to backup data in step 6). now CANCEL restore operation
(if you don’ t cancel in time it will lockup on Bluetooth options, repeat steps 2 and 7).

Select Advanced (The data file will already be loaded) – In the Left Frame Select “Bluetooth Options” and Delete it. Now Save/Exit the advanced menu.

Will this cause me to lose Bluetooth headset support????

richard371
05-25-2005, 01:32 PM
Does the phone really sound perfect now with 3.8?

djseto
05-25-2005, 05:49 PM
This sucks. I have done steps 2-7 three times and it still wont synch with desktop manager 4.0...anyone know where I can download desktop manager 3.8?

EDITED: Fixed

djseto
05-25-2005, 06:28 PM
Now it will NOT pair with my bluetooth headset. it detects it, but when I select it to pair, it never prompts me for the pair code...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

adamg187
05-25-2005, 06:39 PM
Now it will NOT pair with my bluetooth headset. it detects it, but when I select it to pair, it never prompts me for the pair code...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i saw on another post that ajstan99 downgraded to 3.8 because he found that his bluetooth headset was louder under this OS. You may want to PM him to see if he has any tips for you (sorry i don't have a bluetooth headset yet and can't help).

adamg187
05-25-2005, 06:42 PM
Will this cause me to lose Bluetooth headset support????

It should result in the default 3.8 bluetooth setting remaining on the phone.

texasag90
05-26-2005, 09:50 AM
Does the phone really sound perfect now with 3.8?

Well, in my case, people stopped complaining.

mok7100
05-27-2005, 02:08 AM

http://www.t-mobileapps.com/downloadcenter/Software/BB_Handheld_7100t_3_8_0_128.exe

etc...
AP

Ok, I have a 7290- will this procedure work for that device as well?

Also, can you elboarate on step #5,
"5.
Allow it to downgrade all 7100 applications (including apps like breakbreaker, browser, etc)"

Are you saying that it will ask me if I want to down grade the apps?

Thanks,

-Marc

richard371
05-27-2005, 06:42 PM
Now my o2 theme fonts look like crap no matter what I set it to.

TXBBUSER
06-04-2005, 10:14 AM
I have a problem. I have completed steps 1 through 4, but that's where everything stops. Nothing ever starts to downgrade, no Backup, etc. Am I supposed to do something? I have the BB plugged in to my computer when I run the install. Should I do something?

internetizen
06-05-2005, 11:36 AM
Just want to let you know that I think downgrading may in fact erase the message service. ie. you can no longer send email from your device. Has anybody else have the problem? I am going back to 4.0 instead and see if that corrects the email problem.

I downgraded by wiping the device using the javaloader. I have not placed any long calls on the device so I cannot confirm whether the process would improve the dropped calls / reboot issue. I am inclined to forward my calls to a land line and just use it for emergency (short calls) and the email functions.

internetizen
06-05-2005, 12:50 PM
I am using a 7100t in Central New York with T-Mobile

TXBBUSER
06-06-2005, 04:11 PM
I actually think some of these steps are (1) in the wrong order, and (2) unnecessary.

First, it seems like Step 7 should come before Step 4, given that you can't install the OS until you have Desktop Manager installed. Once I did that, it worked great.

Also, if you don't have any other applicaitons installed on your BB, I don't think there is any reason to backup, so you will avoid all that hassle. I only have my Outlook information, and that is already backed up on Outlook.

Now, just to see if it fixes the reboot issue.

jibi
06-06-2005, 07:55 PM
@<hidden>, wireless sync of the PIM (email settings, contacts, tasks, etc) would no longer be available. these are available under the combination of OS4.0 and BES4.0.

@<hidden>, the o2 theme was designed for OS4.0. there is some sort of function within that theme that allows the visuals only in OS4.0. otherwise, you have a black font with no sort of shading extras (the fluffy whiteness).

@<hidden>, i agree with you to a point. i've been through this process, even backing up, and i never had to do a backup/restore more than twice (once to backup, once to restore) nor cut an action short and abrupt (atleast none that i recall). however, there are things such as ringtones, themes, general settings, profile settings, etc. that a person may not want to lose, so stating that "unless they had applications installed, there'd be no reason to do a backup/restore" is a bit of a narrow view, no?

also, this does not necessarily fix the reboot issues. in fact, most people who had the reboots prior to OS 4.0 were looking to it as a savior for fixing the issue that was happening under 3.8.

TXBBUSER
06-07-2005, 09:19 AM
Jibi, you are correct. In fact, I was one of them. I sent my first phone back because of the issues (I thought it was a bluetooth problem then), but have read that people who have downgraded have solved the problem.

You are also correct that backing up settings is a good idea (I didn't and had to do it all over again).

One advantage of downgrading is that my voice quality is much better, so at least it was worth it.

goblue1969
06-28-2005, 10:32 AM
After reinstalling Desktop Mgr 4.0 and connecting my device, the interface on Desktop Manager is greyed out and it says "Working" up in the top left corner....and it hangs. I have run through the reinstall several times and it hangs at the same spot. Any ideas?

goblue1969
06-28-2005, 10:35 AM
This sucks. I have done steps 2-7 three times and it still wont synch with desktop manager 4.0...anyone know where I can download desktop manager 3.8?

EDITED: Fixed

djseto -- I'm having the same problem. How did you fix?

goblue1969
06-28-2005, 12:10 PM
Well, the problem fixed itself. Once I received a message on my 7100t indicating that I was registered on the BES, everything worked ok. If you run through the steps above, just wait a half-hour or so after step 6 until you are registered on your BES.

BlackBerry Geek!
06-29-2005, 01:56 PM
Whats reason to downgrade the OS to 3.8 vs. 4.0?

indivijewell
07-14-2005, 05:07 PM
Whats reason to downgrade the OS to 3.8 vs. 4.0?
from what i've seen, the bluetooth is barely audiable with 4.0

nancytice
07-15-2005, 06:34 PM
what is a hard reboot? will 3.8 synch with 4.0 desktop?

nancytice
07-15-2005, 07:33 PM
never mind I did it!!! what a relief. I hope this solves all the porblems

indivijewell
07-17-2005, 06:44 PM

Go To Control Panel – Add/Remove Programs - Uninstall Desktop Manager 4.0

Go To Start - Search for vendor.xml file and delete

Run 3.8 OS install (downloaded from step 1)

Allow it to downgrade all 7100 applications (including apps like breakbreaker, browser, etc)

Allow software to Backup your data from your 7100 to your PC. On the last step of the OS install it will try to restore backup files and will HANG –
Unplug and plug-in the 7100 on the USB connection to get it to exit the program.

Reinstall Desktop Manager 4.0 and Run program
(Downgraded version of 7100 should sync with software, if it doesn’t repeat steps 2 and 7)

Select Restore (again) – this time run the restore function. It should upload all your data to your 7100 without hanging.

It may take up an hour for your internet and phone to be fully operational (after about 90 minutes and a few hard reboots I was up and running).

The 7100 will run and sound better than ever, but BES users will lose wireless sync function as 3.8 does not support that feature.

Please let me know if any clarification is needed on these instructions.
thanks,
AP

i want to revert to the 3.8. these directions are not working for me. I cant get past # 4. And I can not find the vendor.xml file. any suggestions?

jibi
07-17-2005, 07:45 PM
vendor.xml = c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader

Yoyoma
07-21-2005, 11:57 AM
After reinstalling Desktop Mgr 4.0 and connecting my device, the interface on Desktop Manager is greyed out and it says "Working" up in the top left corner....and it hangs. I have run through the reinstall several times and it hangs at the same spot. Any ideas?

I am stuck at the same spot. It constantly says "working". How did you get through this step?

Scotty_T
07-21-2005, 01:03 PM
I am stuck at the same spot. It constantly says "working". How did you get through this step?

Take the battery out to reboot the Blackberry - then the "working" screen will go away.

Scotty_T
07-21-2005, 01:07 PM
from what i've seen, the bluetooth is barely audiable with 4.0

You're right about that. I downgraded my Cingular 7100g to 3.8.0.128 (Tmobile version) and the bluetooth volume works like a champ. Unfortunately I have to deal with the 3.8 glitches, such as my bluetooth device losing its pairing sometimes and occasional phone rebooting. But for me I need the volume on the Bluetooth so its my only choice.

mikeyman
09-14-2005, 11:59 AM
Moved post to main forum

jonlevine
09-19-2005, 09:02 PM
I, like most that have posted in this thread, was very frustrated with my 7100's call quality right out of the box (I have Cingular and it came pre-installed with 4.0). In fact, the first day I got the phone, I called my best friend who asked why my cell phone sounded so bad (he didn't know I had a new one).

After stumbling onto this forum, and eventually, onto this thread, I was finally frustrated enough today with a phone call that I could not hear through my bluetooth headset (Moto HS850) that I vowed to come home and attempt to downgrade to 3.8. Boy, am I glad I did.

After following the instructions at the top of this thread (and I agree with some of the other posters, step 7 needs to be before step 4) I was able to complete the downgrade. The first phone call I made blew me away! I actually had to TURN DOWN the volume in my headset! If anyone else has a 7100G from Cingular and are fed up with low call volume and poor call quality, DOWNGRADE.

Now, I've only been using this for about two hours now, so I don't know how it will effect the overall performance of the device (everything else seems to work, I'm sending a receiving emails, etc), but to be honest, I don't care. I'm on my phone alot and call quality is tantamount to me. I would recommend this procedure for everyone.