PDA

View Full Version : 7100 crawls

mok7100
05-25-2005, 05:39 AM
I've had my 7100g now for almost three weeks and although I like the device, I have been having one big issue with it: it has slowed to a crawl. Now, when I open a new message (unread) or press "send" on a message I have composed, I can count anywere from 5-20 seconds before the device takes action.

I figured this must be a memory problem because I was holding 30 days worth of messages and I get about 20-30 text messages per day. So I started erasing messages using the "all prior" option. That didn't fix it. It's gotten pretty irritating. I have over 13Meg left on the devie (with a little over 29meg in "file total"), so I don't see why there wold be a memory issue that would cause this kind of slowness. Anyone else experienceing this?

Secondly, several times through out the day, when I'm typng a message, the device suddenly stops and says "Input Error- restarting application", but nothing on the device, as far as I can see, chaged.

Any light you could shed on these two issues would be appreciated!

-Marc

jbairdjr
05-25-2005, 11:54 AM
Have you tried the reset/reboot by removing the battery and putting it back in?
That usually solves problems like this

adamg187
05-25-2005, 12:57 PM
Downgrade to 3.8 OS it runs twice as fast as 4.0.

jbairdjr
05-25-2005, 01:16 PM
On my 7100g, I cant say as to running faster with 3.8 (it came with 4.0).
But, my 7780 worked as fell with 4.0 as it did with 3.8
And, the solution here is probably just a reset.

NJBlackBerry
05-25-2005, 01:21 PM
Downgrade to 3.8 OS it runs twice as fast as 4.0.
I have not seen that on my 7100 or 7290.

mok7100
05-25-2005, 02:07 PM
Have you tried the reset/reboot by removing the battery and putting it back in?
That usually solves problems like this

Thanks for you suggestion. That worked, but it's not a satifactory solution for me. I use this as a business tool and get about 20-30 text messages a day during the week plus phone calls so having to reset it every few weeks (actually it took only about 2 weeks at my message load to get slow and then I just sort of suffered with it for another week trying things like deleting messages and other non-essential items) is not going to work. God- I really miss the 950 days and the original Mobiex network- that was truly their best device. Then when they started to combine, everthing went haywire: the PDA's don't have speakerphones (except the 7520 which I've tried and had horrible voice quality here in LA) and the ones without speakerphones are uncomfortable as a phone but great PDAs. I'm discounting the 7100s in that last statement because they're new but to me the Sure-type thing is a "sure-miss" (but oh so close :-( )

Sure-Type has not worked out very well for me because if you make typos it can be doubly-difficult to recover as the device tries to 'guess' whcih of the two letters you typed wrong!

I really, really liked the 7100g, but besides the "crawls" issue, I've had lots of "inputting error: resetting software" errors and several "uncaught exceptions"-I think 4.0 is not that stable.

If I were to downgrade to 3.8 wouldn't I lose attachment viewing?

Anyway, I think I'm going to trade this in for a 7290 and go back to carrying two devices: BB for data/sms/email/wap and my good old trusty V60s on VZW for voice and car use, UFN.

Come'on RIM: Make a decent PIM/PDA/Fully Qwerty/Speakerphone device(that's not on Nextel)- Treo almost got it right but I'll never leave BB.
How about CDMA RIM?????

-Marc

LunkHead
05-25-2005, 03:25 PM
I recently downgraded back to 3.8 and it (3.8) is much faster on my 7100T.. The phone problems are all gone as well... I think 4.0 has major bugs that RIM will not admit.

As far as the TREO goes... I had a 650 on Sprint that I canned for the 7100T... Never looked back! The TREO 650 was/is a complete mess...

I'll take my BB 7100T with 3.8 over a 650 any day of the week!

Eric5273
05-25-2005, 03:43 PM
That worked, but it's not a satifactory solution for me.

Why is that not a satisfactory solution?

Doing a hard reset on a blackberry is nothing more than a reboot. No data or settings are lost.

Just like you probably have to reboot your computer once in a while, same goes for the blackberry. If it takes you more than a minute to do, then you're doing something wrong.

mok7100
05-25-2005, 09:31 PM
Why is that not a satisfactory solution?

Doing a hard reset on a blackberry is nothing more than a reboot. No data or settings are lost.

Just like you probably have to reboot your computer once in a while, same goes for the blackberry. If it takes you more than a minute to do, then you're doing something wrong.

Well, I guess I'm not that tolerant. Yes, we have to reboot our lovely Windows servers about once a month for sanity; however, rebooting a phone just seems ridiculous to me(even if it is, arguably, a "computer" of sorts).

And, the "slowdowns" or OS crashes are happening on a device that's mission critical for me- so I can't have that. My experience with the level of messages that I am receiving is that I'd have to "reboot" the phone (a pain to get the cover off, pop up the battery,etc) about 1/week.

RIM *can* get it right if they stop trying to be all things to all people. They aren't Palm after all- they are much better. We don't to be reading about RIM phones crashing and locking up the way we do our Palm "friends" :oops:

mok7100
05-25-2005, 09:33 PM
I recently downgraded back to 3.8 and it (3.8) is much faster on my 7100T.. The phone problems are all gone as well... I think 4.0 has major bugs that RIM will not admit.

As far as the TREO goes... I had a 650 on Sprint that I canned for the 7100T... Never looked back! The TREO 650 was/is a complete mess...

I'll take my BB 7100T with 3.8 over a 650 any day of the week!

Thanks- agreed on the RIM vs Treo point above.

Would you mind refering me or telling me how I can do the downgrade?

I know it's posted here somewhere, but haven't been able to find it exactly.

Thanks again,

-Marc

elazarus
05-26-2005, 01:06 AM
I have ordered a 7290 from T-mobile as I have given up on the 7100. You are right , goingback to correct something is really a pain......OH and I love the way it reboots on its own without me asking....thank you 7100.

LunkHead
05-26-2005, 06:14 AM
Thanks- agreed on the RIM vs Treo point above.

Would you mind refering me or telling me how I can do the downgrade?

I know it's posted here somewhere, but haven't been able to find it exactly.

Thanks again,

-Marc

Here you go...

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=8973

mok7100
05-27-2005, 02:40 AM
Here you go...

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=8973

Thanks- got it. I appreciate that! (y)