PDA

View Full Version : 7520 to 8830 files

JDWallace
08-13-2007, 08:19 AM
OK I searched, but did not find any topic related to what I need. Maybe I put the wrong search words? Anyways, I am switching from Nextel 7520 to Sprint 8830. Is it possible to upload the 7520 backup file into the 8830 to get the contacts? I'm just trying to keep from typing in over 200 contacts. And if that IS possible, will any of the other files in that backup, screw up the 8830 OS? Thanks!

JSanders
08-13-2007, 08:26 AM
JD, download the latest version of Desktop Manager, install that on your PC, and then use Switch Device Wizard to move from the 7520 to the 8830. You will gt all your contacts, as well as other data you need from your older model, along with settings, preferences, etc.

JDWallace
08-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Thanks J! I'm glad to know that I won't have to sit there and input all those contact back in one at a time. 8-)

akosnitzky
08-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Not to be redundnant but the answer is yes. I did not want to full backup and I only wanted the items that I saved in Outlook. You will want to do an "import"

Dawg
08-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks J! I'm glad to know that I won't have to sit there and input all those contact back in one at a time. 8-)

Are all Marines such wimps lol whats up buddy glad to see your still kicking..

JDWallace
08-13-2007, 11:03 PM
Hey man, don't want anything to hurt if it doesn't have to. BTW, nice avatar (n) :smile:

greggebhardt
08-14-2007, 05:11 AM

OR

Sync with Outlook!

JDWallace
08-14-2007, 03:39 PM
OR

Sync with Outlook!

I thought about that too, but I use mine for work. My BB it's not a work BB, it's a personal BB. So I can not Sync with outlook. I did try the uploading the old files, but it kind of jacked up the settings and the look, which I knew it was transfering all the data. So it made my 8830 look like the 7520. After trying to change the settings, it just made it worse. Not a big deal, I just reset it back to the original state. I will just enter all the contacts one at a time. This will suck I am sure! Oh well, thanks for all the help. Guess that is what I get for waiting so long to upgrade...:razz:

JSanders
08-14-2007, 03:46 PM
JD, no, you don't have to do that. Switching the device in DM or backup restore won't make it look like a 7520, it might load the old theme, but that is all.

Just choose a newer updated theme.

Or export all your contact to an excel file, then import them to your new device. You absolutely don't have to retype 200 contacts.

greggebhardt
08-14-2007, 04:52 PM
I agree, I would keep looking before I did the 200 contacts on the keyboard. Listen to these people, there is more than one way to . . . .

JDWallace
08-14-2007, 09:51 PM
dang! Wish I would have thought of that exporting to excel! LMAO!! I am going to do that for sure now, just to have a extra back up on top of the backup file. Man I tell ya what, it took almost all day doing a little here and there....and talking about painful!! :razz: Guess not thinking of something like excel, which is a pretty good idea I just didn't think of the easy way (LOL), now I am the dumba$$...lmao! Oh well....live and learn! Technology is great, too bad I can't keep up with it :smile: Thanks for all the help! Hope this topic helps out other....... DON'T TYPE IN YOU'RE CONTACT! READ THIS! lmao!