PDA

View Full Version : Newb question re: BES

kylen36
08-14-2007, 03:45 PM
I'm getting ready to purchase an 8830. I know what the BES is, but my company's Sr. IT Admin. (who will be the one to help me with the email setup) threw me a bit of a curveball today when he told me to "make sure I ask for the BES service when I buy the phone."

My question is do I have to specifically ask for this capability when I buy it? That confused me...I was under the impression that this was a "built in" feature...for lack of a better term. Relying on a Verizon rep to provide me with an answer scares me to death.

I apologize for the newb question. I checked the 8830 FAQ, but of course, all of the information there goes beyond my simple question. Thanks!

Thatzmister2u
08-14-2007, 03:47 PM
It applies only to the Blackberry Data Plan that you are purchasing. There are Personal ones and Business ones. He just wants to ensure that you get the Business plan which is required for BES to run. It is more expensive that the personal one.

Hope that helps!

E-

jlbdca
08-14-2007, 04:12 PM
Verizon doesn't offer a personal or business BlackBerry account--a BES will work with either of its BlackBerry data plans.

Thatzmister2u
08-14-2007, 04:22 PM
Good catch! I failed to check their carrier!

kylen36
08-14-2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the replies. Verizon does only offer 1 data plan. After I received that email from our IT guy though, I began to wonder if there was something else that I needed to ask for. And I certainly didn't want to rely on the Verizon rep.

takeshi
08-15-2007, 07:45 AM
Nope -- most carriers do offer non-BES data plans at a reduced cost compared to the BES data plans. The data plan certainly isn't "built in".