PDA

View Full Version : ?'s from new 7290 user

phaijai
05-25-2005, 04:59 PM
Hey guys, been trolling for the past couple of days and appreciate the wealth of information on this board. I have some quick questions since I am new to using a Blackberry as a converged device. I bought the NIB 7290 from a local user here in the SF Bay Area. Since I am relatively new to Cingular as well, I was under the assumption that the 7290 only came in a blue housing. However, when I met this guy, the 7290 was black and the carrier sticker at the bottom was not present but instead there was a black sticker. I am figuring that this may have been an unlocked version? Regardless, I inserted my sim card and the phone features work flawlessly. I have yet to set up e-mail or SMS but I am assuming I should not encounter any problems. I have noticed that the housing may be different depending on carrier. But can anyone shed any light on what carrier this might have been on since the carrier sticker is not present?

Also, in the past day, the phone has vibrated while sitting on my desk. No text messages, no incoming calls, and no appointment reminders. The first time, it vibrated once and then stopped. The second time, it vibrated once and then rang twice (if I recall properly). Anyone have any idea why this happens?

These things might be covered already but I did not find anything under search. And even if it is, I also wanted to take the opportunity to say "what's up" to everyone!

NJBlackBerry
05-25-2005, 05:49 PM
BlackBerry's are not "on a carrier". The only branding you may see is when you power it up. Does it show anything then?

The first batch of Cingular 7290s, pre-merger, came out unlocked. We have a bunch of them. Put in T-Mobile SIM cards and away you go.

coreyg510
05-25-2005, 05:50 PM
My housing for the 7290 Cingular is black as well. My guess is the sticker was blacked out or removed because it was unlocked as you stated. Not sure of the vibrations.

JDeane
05-25-2005, 10:00 PM
My 7290 is also black, but I do have the Cingular sticker. I wonder if one can tell if their BlackBerry is unlocked or not...

NJBlackBerry
05-25-2005, 10:02 PM
Easiest way is to put in a foreign SIM card (but beware - some Cingular Blackberrys will work with AT&T SIM cards, but no others).

jacobsaa
05-25-2005, 10:25 PM
tmobile 7290s are blue. cingular 7290s are black

NJBlackBerry
05-25-2005, 11:38 PM
T-Mobile 7290s are a steel grey. Not the same blue as the other 7200 series BlackBerrys.