PDA

View Full Version : Google Maps 1.6.1 - Now Has Bluetooth GPS option on 8300 CURVE

jyamani
08-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Let me start out by saying how silly I really feel.

I had Google Maps 1.5.4 or something along those lines on my BB 8300 / Curve which I used very happily with the Freedom Mini GPS unit, because it supported Bluetooth GPS units.

I just saw that Google came out with an updated version 1.6.0, which I downloaded without thinking at all. Now I'm stuck with a Google Maps version that does not support Bluetooth GPS. How strange. Aside from not understanding the reason why Google would take out Bluetooth GPS support on a newer version, I can't get myself to find the old version anywhere.

I need to get the old 1.5.4 Google Maps version back on my 8300 which will support Bluetooth GPS.

Any help?

Thanks in advance.

Webwbr
08-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Been there myself my friend... right now I'm starting to get rather "anti-google", but if they fix it I might forgive them. Until then, go directly tho this link and you'll get down-graded back to 1.5.4

Linky (http://www.google.com/gmm/apps/v1.5.4/L1/gmaps-BlackBerry-8703_v4_1_L1.jad?make=BlackBerry&model=8300+v4+1&ver=v1.5.4)
{Fixed link... sorry}

That's assuming you have a 8300 (Curve) I'm assuming that is what you have [posting in this forum, but your profile says 8100. Good luck,

jyamani
08-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Thank you Webwbr, you're a life saver! Freakin' Aye Google

cenner
08-15-2007, 11:49 PM
Its odd they would remove such an awesome feature from a newer version.

John Clark
08-15-2007, 11:57 PM
Stuck this thread as I'm sure many more Curve users are going to have this problem until Google fixes it (hopefully!)

jyamani
08-16-2007, 01:56 AM
John, thanks for making this a sticky. I do hope Google fixes this issue, because for the 10 minutes that I did have the 1.6.0, it seemed A LOT faster to load and had better graphics.

John Clark
08-16-2007, 01:58 AM
Honestly, there's not that much different in it. The window for entering addresses, etc. is a little different. Beyond that, not much different. Rarely have I noticed much different in their version upgrades (except when they added GPS support.)

hadji
08-16-2007, 03:02 AM
The link doesn' work.
Error 404 ?

jyamani
08-16-2007, 03:06 AM
Here ya go -- http://www.google.com/gmm/apps/v1.5.4/L1/gmaps-BlackBerry-8703_v4_1_L1.jad?make=BlackBerry&model=8300+v4+1&ver=v1.5.4

aiharkness
08-16-2007, 05:44 AM
Ok. I missed something. I have 8700g on TMO, first with OS 4.1 and now OS 4.2, and I have BT GPS with google maps 1.6. I thought I was following the threads, but I guess not. BT GPS is there for some (at least me). So this is model-specific?

mebiuspower
08-16-2007, 06:53 AM
Does this only affect 8300 or they took out the GPS option completely in 1.6?

lilitiki
08-16-2007, 07:09 AM
seems so. Can't get anyone at google to respond to this issue... wonder if the verizon bbs can get it.

aiharkness
08-16-2007, 07:19 AM
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Ok. I missed something. I have 8700g on TMO, first with OS 4.1 and now OS 4.2, and I have BT GPS with google maps 1.6. I thought I was following the threads, but I guess not. BT GPS is there for some (at least me). So this is model-specific?

Brain is awake now and I see this is the 8300 forum. I saw the thread title and started typing. My bad.

jeremy
08-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Old news (http://www.blackberryforums.com/gps-mapping/89905-google-maps-1-60-available.html#post630345).

mikeparis751
08-16-2007, 01:48 PM
John, thanks for making this a sticky. I do hope Google fixes this issue, because for the 10 minutes that I did have the 1.6.0, it seemed A LOT faster to load and had better graphics.

Here is what I think may be a partial answer. It appears that AT&T is trying to lockdown the GPS functionnality on the most recent blackberries: it looks as if they want GPS to work ONLY with Tele-Nav. That's because they don't want the newer BBs to compete with the iphone.

See here: EXCLUSIVE: AT&T neuters the BlackBerry 8820 in favor of the iPhone | BlackBerry Cool (http://blackberrycool.com/2007/08/16/005386/)

Seems odd to me given that iphone does not (yet) have GPS (but is rumored to "upgrade" to a GPS model in '08).

Cheap tactics on the part of AT&T and Google if it turns out that this is all true. Remember, these are rumors and rumors only.

shakuyi
08-16-2007, 05:56 PM
umm some people still have the bluetooth gps option you guys i posted this thread in another forum and got confirmed reports of people still having the option however i dont have it on mine wonder what it is

[IFC]Area51
08-16-2007, 06:09 PM
umm some people still have the bluetooth gps option you guys i posted this thread in another forum and got confirmed reports of people still having the option however i dont have it on mine wonder what it is
I still have Bluetooth GPS 0n 1.6.0. I think AT&T slipped some money under the table to google so that any AT&T subscriber downloading google wont get this option, SHAME ON YOU (n)

jyamani
08-16-2007, 08:39 PM
This is strange. I own a 8700G from TMO and a Pearl from TMO. I installed the new 1.6.0 on both of them and they both show the BLUETOOTH GPS option.

Curve is the only one that doesn't show the Bluetooth GPS option on 1.6.0 -- This Curve is a AT&T Curve unlocked / using on TMO.

NOT COOL!

lilitiki
08-16-2007, 09:13 PM
How can we get a response from google on this? Or am I just dreaming? I just signed up for telenav trial, maybe it's true, you get what you pay for.

cme4oil
08-17-2007, 08:25 AM
Is there a way to download the 1.6 version and install manually? I am just wondering if this might bring back the GPS functionality.

wasafiri
08-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Anyone notice that gps is also removed from the newest blackberry maps, version 1.2.28? It was present as recently as 1.2.26.

lilitiki
08-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Wow, wasafiri, I didn't notice. For some reason I have an old BB maps version. This stuff is starting to piss me off. First google, now this. Thanks for the heads up before I upgrade. I'm on ver. 1.2.20 is there a way to download the 1.2.26 verison (NOT the crippled latest one...)

Thanks

C55AMG
08-17-2007, 11:34 PM
All the more reason to get Yahoo Go I suppose. I have a bluetooth GPS puck I bought from ATT that works pretty well.

bdizzlefizzle
08-18-2007, 07:55 AM
So glad to have the link to 1.5.4...just ordered my BT Freedom Mini GPS receiver. I guess it's worth getting Yahoo Go, too.

zvandiver
08-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Anyone notice that gps is also removed from the newest blackberry maps, version 1.2.28? It was present as recently as 1.2.26.
Thanks for the heads-up. I modified my lbs.alx on my Curve to show BB Maps and then tried to update to the latest version. I got an error message about my device not being supported. I am glad now that the update failed.
Also thanks to Webwbr for the link to the older version of Google Maps. My Freedom Mini GPS works like a charm now.
Zane

lilitiki
08-18-2007, 03:11 PM
just tried yahoo go with the puck. Didn't work all that well. Couldn't find me.

rsnadel
08-19-2007, 06:22 PM
I read on another forum that Google has now updated version 1.6 to 1.6.1. Has anyone tried it to see if the GPS capability for the 8300 has been restored?

lilitiki
08-19-2007, 07:21 PM
I just asked that question in the gps forum. Alas, I'm not brave enough to risk my working 1.5.4 version to test it out. Somehow I think it would be wishful thinking that Google has got the gps puck working now...

I see you're in Socal, rsnadel. Me too.

kevberry
08-19-2007, 07:29 PM
What's up, BB Forums!

1.6.1 still does NOT have GPS support.

Can't help but to think AT&T had something to do with this, especially after reading rumors of them neuturing the GPS on the upcoming 88xx. And come on Google, what happened to "do no evil". ;)

bdizzlefizzle
08-19-2007, 07:54 PM
I think it would be hard for AT&T to get Google to completely kill the GPS feature across the board. This isn't an AT&T install, it's one install for all BBs, right? Maybe I'm wrong.

lilitiki
08-19-2007, 08:30 PM
Just the curve so far.

John Clark
08-19-2007, 09:18 PM
What's up, BB Forums!

Can't help but to think AT&T had something to do with this, especially after reading rumors of them neuturing the GPS on the upcoming 88xx. And come on Google, what happened to "do no evil". ;)

Wouldn't surprise me.

lilitiki
08-19-2007, 09:23 PM
What's up, BB Forums!

:cry: :x

Stinsonddog
08-19-2007, 10:55 PM
Has anyone even looked in the google forums?

lilitiki
08-19-2007, 11:00 PM
Yup... I posted there regarding this situation (different name). NO response. I'm not the only one who posted. Many have. They ignore the questions. What's the point in having a support forum if you get no support?

wasafiri
08-20-2007, 11:17 AM
Wow, wasafiri, I didn't notice. For some reason I have an old BB maps version. This stuff is starting to piss me off. First google, now this. Thanks for the heads up before I upgrade. I'm on ver. 1.2.20 is there a way to download the 1.2.26 verison (NOT the crippled latest one...)

Thanks

Liltiki, if you install the (latest and greatest) vodafone OS software for 8300, it will have bb maps 1.2.26 on it.

John Clark
08-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Wirelessly posted (BB 8860: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Seems to me you could keep your current OS but use the LBS.cod's from the older versions to get the BBMaps version you want. I haven't tried it myself but it should work.

bdizzlefizzle
08-20-2007, 01:44 PM
I went to reinstall BBMaps with the Voda OS I'm running, and it won't come up. Any thoughts?

John Clark
08-20-2007, 01:47 PM
I went to reinstall BBMaps with the Voda OS I'm running, and it won't come up. Any thoughts?

How did you do it? I doubt downloading it will get it for you. You need to edit the LBS.alx file.

ixtab
08-20-2007, 01:49 PM
Same on my Curve. I run the install wizard and BBMaps is there, I check it and continue with the wizard. It tells me it is about to be installed.
Wizard completes, BB resets and when back on, there is no icon for BBMaps on the home screen.
I even did Show-All but it is not there/hidden.
It does show up under Advanced --> Applications, with the correct version, just no icon.

Removing it (from Advanced --> Applications) and repeating the above process doesn't help.

John Clark
08-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Same on my Curve. I run the install wizard and BBMaps is there, I check it and continue with the wizard. It tells me it is about to be installed.
Wizard completes, BB resets and when back on, there is no icon for BBMaps on the home screen.
I even did Show-All but it is not there/hidden.
It does show up under Advanced --> Applications, with the correct version, just no icon.

Removing it (from Advanced --> Applications) and repeating the above process doesn't help.

You must edit the LBS.alx file on the PC in order to show the icon for BBMaps.

You can get one already pre-edited from the link below. Simply replace your LBS.alx with the correct one for your OS version number from the following link:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/ringtones-themes-wallpaper-discussion/28821-blackberry-alx-edited-files-packaged-theme-installation-4-1-4-2-only.html

ixtab
08-20-2007, 02:15 PM
Thanks John Clark! that worked.

bdizzlefizzle
08-20-2007, 02:41 PM
How did you do it? I doubt downloading it will get it for you. You need to edit the LBS.alx file.

John, can you elaborate? I assume you mean lbs.cod, but I don't know where to begin.

Weird thing is that I used to get the option to at least install BB Maps before, but now I don't get that option. Sounds like it wouldn't work anyway.

six2one
08-20-2007, 07:14 PM
i just installed the 1.6.1 version of google maps on my 8300 and it definitely doesn't have gps enabled in it. this isnt a problem for me yet, as i dont currently have an external gps...but when i get a new one i hope its re-enabled by then.

edit:
*i was messing around with the mobile google homepage where you can install search, gmail, news, and maps with that "google services" thing. well...if you install google maps via the google services way...it installs 1.5.2....even if you have 1.6.1 installed....and gps is not disabled in that version as everyone who is reading this already knows.

Resipsa
08-20-2007, 08:40 PM
i just installed the 1.6.1 version of google maps on my 8300 and it definitely doesn't have gps enabled in it. this isnt a problem for me yet, as i dont currently have an external gps...but when i get a new one i hope its re-enabled by then.

edit:
*i was messing around with the mobile google homepage where you can install search, gmail, news, and maps with that "google services" thing. well...if you install google maps via the google services way...it installs 1.5.2....even if you have 1.6.1 installed....and gps is not disabled in that version as everyone who is reading this already knows.
I can confirm this, installed google services and got maps version 1.5.2 with it, the installation left maps 1.6.1 still on the device so you have both, one with the gps, one without.

six2one
08-23-2007, 12:55 AM
I can confirm this, installed google services and got maps version 1.5.2 with it, the installation left maps 1.6.1 still on the device so you have both, one with the gps, one without.

my 1.6.1 was replaced by 1.5.2 i cannot seem to find the 1.6.1 anywhere on my curve? hmm...i hope google fixes this...1.6.1 was much faster and better looking than 1.5.2

plantagoo
08-24-2007, 04:43 AM
Hi!

I just wanted to inform everybody that Googlemaps also doesn't show the GPS menu on the Curve 8310 with built in GPS... :(

Maybe it's a new Google feature because Googlemaps on the iPhone also has no way to use a GPS puck since there is no way to pair one via bluetooth.

Strange thing...

Greetings
plant

xkon
08-24-2007, 04:54 AM
i ended up downloading 1.6 for the 8800 onto the curve, and GPS works... its a bit flaky though. got telenav instead, and all i can say is WOW... love it.

cme4oil
08-24-2007, 07:35 AM
Same thing happened to me, after upgrading to 1.6 the GPS option went away. I went ahead and subscribed to telenav and I am VERY happy with that. The only issue is you don't get maps if you go outside of a cell zone for a little while. But that would be true of anything that relies on the network to update information of course.

However, with a GPS program, it would be nice if it would save a little extra info on the memory card to get it through cell zones areas where you don't get coverage for a bit.

ixtab
08-24-2007, 07:37 AM
A Maps-on-Mediacard type of a solution is really the best way to avoid out-of-coverage situations, I hope Tomtom (or similar) will pick up the challange and make something.

rsnadel
08-24-2007, 08:12 AM
i ended up downloading 1.6 for the 8800 onto the curve, and GPS works... its a bit flaky though. got telenav instead, and all i can say is WOW... love it.

And that's great for people who choose to pay an extra $10 per month. The problem is that there were (until last week) a couple of GPS solutions which, while perhaps not as elegant as TeleNav (I don't know...never tried it), at least were free. Until AT&T intentionally disabled that feature.

lilitiki
08-24-2007, 08:58 AM
And that's great for people who choose to pay an extra $10 per month. The problem is that there were (until last week) a couple of GPS solutions which, while perhaps not as elegant as TeleNav (I don't know...never tried it), at least were free. Until AT&T intentionally disabled that feature.

I know, I like telenav - I'm doing the trial. But feeling forced into having to use it (I feel right now the older GMaps work, but as they improve them, we'll be left out in the cold with our pucks with out of date software) so I doubt I'll continue with telenav, out of principle. Keep my 10 bucks a month.

rsnadel
08-24-2007, 10:38 AM
I know, I like telenav - I'm doing the trial. But feeling forced into having to use it (I feel right now the older GMaps work, but as they improve them, we'll be left out in the cold with our pucks with out of date software) so I doubt I'll continue with telenav, out of principle. Keep my 10 bucks a month.

Without getting too repetitive, the bottom line for me is that I resent it when a company intentionally engineers to remove a feature for the sole purpose of forcing you to go in the direction that creates a revenue stream for them. I'd prefer to see them make TeleNav so great that we choose to pay the money because it's that much better a product than the free alternatives that also exist.

bdizzlefizzle
08-24-2007, 01:17 PM
We don't know why it's disabled, whether because of corporate crap or otherwise.

I can't even try TeleNav because I'm on a corp plan where I can't choose stuff like that.

John Clark
08-24-2007, 01:29 PM
I think you can sign up for telenav and pay separate from your mobile account, can't you?

bdizzlefizzle
08-24-2007, 01:36 PM
We're not allowed to make any account changes as the account is master billed and locked out from any user changes

psyct1
08-24-2007, 01:59 PM
for those with Curve, here is another download link for the Google Maps Mobile v1.5.4 (not sure if it is OS specific but, I am using the latest Vodafone OS on my AT&T branded Curve)

Clicky For Linky (http://www.google.com/gmm/apps/v1.5.4/L1/gmaps-BlackBerry-8300_v4_2_L1.jad?make=BlackBerry&model=8300+v4+2&ver=v1.5.4)

Webwbr
08-24-2007, 03:18 PM
Actually, I think you can do it. I'm on the same kind of locked plan with my company. The telenav is a separate billing/account.

Go here (http://ota.telenav.com/ota/tn/choice/) (from your 8300) and install the software.

Go here (http://store.telenav.com/newstore/) (from your computer) and sign up. They e-mail you a PIN.

Launch the software on your 8300, enter the PIN (they just e-mailed you) and your good to go.

I was in Green Bay last week and was about to head home to Chicago and did this. I struggled with Google/BB Maps the whole drive up, and found telenav wonderful for the drive back.

That said, I STILL THINK IT IS BS THAT AT+T AND GOOGLE CONSPIRED TO MAKE THE FUNCTIONALITY STOP WITH 1.6.0 -- I'm most disappointed with Google.

We're not allowed to make any account changes as the account is master billed and locked out from any user changes

bdizzlefizzle
08-24-2007, 04:05 PM
John, you really are awesome. Thanks so much, man!

psyct1
08-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Actually, I think you can do it. I'm on the same kind of locked plan with my company. The telenav is a separate billing/account.

Go here (http://ota.telenav.com/ota/tn/choice/) (from your 8300) and install the software.

Go here (http://store.telenav.com/newstore/) (from your computer) and sign up. They e-mail you a PIN.

Launch the software on your 8300, enter the PIN (they just e-mailed you) and your good to go.

I was in Green Bay last week and was about to head home to Chicago and did this. I struggled with Google/BB Maps the whole drive up, and found telenav wonderful for the drive back.

That said, I STILL THINK IT IS BS THAT AT+T AND GOOGLE CONSPIRED TO MAKE THE FUNCTIONALITY STOP WITH 1.6.0 -- I'm most disappointed with Google.

wait a minute? do you still pay for this service, or is it free if you do it this way???

for TeleNav I mean...

bdizzlefizzle
08-24-2007, 10:31 PM
You still pay via that method, but I'd assume you still get the trial period since this is just a way to install the app, and activate it outside your contract.

cme4oil
08-24-2007, 11:59 PM
Does anyone really know for sure that Google Maps purposely disabled the GPS? I keep hearing it said that they have and I admit it seems that way..

bdizzlefizzle
08-25-2007, 09:19 AM
No one knows, but everyone likes to assume/acuse.

No one suggested this, but I don't think it's because of the iPhone. That's a pretty weak argument. To me, it's a possible indication of a pending gPhone on AT&T. Hmm

jhkaplan
08-25-2007, 06:51 PM
I just dowloaded 1.6.1 and I have Bluetooth GPS under my menu.

bdizzlefizzle
08-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Great to hear, but you have an 8703e. We're trying to figure out the 8300 situation. You're on VZW, so you wouldn't face the ATT/Google issue we're talking about.

Am I off on your phone?

Webwbr
08-25-2007, 10:28 PM
Am I off on your phone?

Nope, your right... we need to rename this thread:

"Google Maps 1.6.0 - No Bluetooth GPS option on 8300 (CURVE)? DOH!"

Then folks won't comment unless they are referring to the right device.

Stinsonddog
08-25-2007, 11:24 PM

Done - now I don't feel so lost.

jhkaplan
08-26-2007, 12:13 AM

Sorry guys, I have an 8300 on ATT now. I forgot to change my listed phone on the website. So now what do you have to say?

lilitiki
08-26-2007, 04:06 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Sorry guys, I have an 8300 on ATT now. I forgot to change my listed phone on the website. So now what do you have to say?

Not sure what you're saying then. U get gps bt on a curve with 1.6.1 and no one else can? What's your secret. ;-)

Webwbr
08-26-2007, 08:22 AM
OK then... the challenge is at hand. I'll see if 1.5.4 is still available, if so then I'll try 1.6.1:

1) if it works I'll report back here and cheer.

2) if it doesn't I'll revert back to 1.5.4 then report back here and make fun of you (grin).

3) if it doesn't then find I cannot revet back to 1.5.4 with GPS support I cry like a baby for the rest of the day.

Webwbr
08-26-2007, 08:26 AM
UPDATE: Well 1.5.4 for the 8300 doesn't seem availbale anymore. So I'll sit tight until I see a lot of other folks have success.

Here is the link to see:

http://www.google.com/gmm/apps/v1.5.4/L1/gmaps-BlackBerry-8300_v4_1_L1.jad?make=BlackBerry&model=8300+v4+1&ver=v1.5.4 (http://www.google.com/gmm/apps/v1.5.4/L1/gmaps-BlackBerry-8300_v4_1_L1.jad?make=BlackBerry&model=8300+v4+1&ver=v1.5.4)

Bummer... 404.

OK then... the challenge is at hand. I'll see if 1.5.4 is still available, if so then I'll try 1.6.1:

1) if it works I'll report back here and cheer.

2) if it doesn't I'll revert back to 1.5.4 then report back here and make fun of you (grin).

3) if it doesn't then find I cannot revet back to 1.5.4 with GPS support I cry like a baby for the rest of the day.

psyct1
08-26-2007, 11:00 AM
UPDATE: Well 1.5.4 for the 8300 doesn't seem availbale anymore. So I'll sit tight until I see a lot of other folks have success.

Here is the link to see:

http://www.google.com/gmm/apps/v1.5.4/L1/gmaps-BlackBerry-8300_v4_1_L1.jad?make=BlackBerry&model=8300+v4+1&ver=v1.5.4 (http://www.google.com/gmm/apps/v1.5.4/L1/gmaps-BlackBerry-8300_v4_1_L1.jad?make=BlackBerry&model=8300+v4+1&ver=v1.5.4)

Bummer... 404.

Web, the link I posted above still works, at least for me it does...

here it is again, click for link (http://www.google.com/gmm/apps/v1.5.4/L1/gmaps-BlackBerry-8300_v4_2_L1.jad?make=BlackBerry&model=8300+v4+2&ver=v1.5.4)

TomN
08-26-2007, 11:47 AM
I just downloaded version 1.6.1 on to my Curve and the GPS is there in the menu and is working fine.

Stinsonddog
08-26-2007, 11:52 AM
I just downloaded version 1.6.1 on to my Curve and the GPS is there in the menu and is working fine.

Can you post a screenshot to put this to bed.

TomN
08-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Give me a bit to figure out how and I'll be glad to!

vinmontRD
08-26-2007, 11:58 AM
Can you post a screenshot to put this to bed.

I know this is jumping the gun...but I'm wondering if the difference has anything to do with GPS being connected (detected by the BB) during the google maps install. Would be somewhat short-sighted, but I have seen software on occasion that only installs features based on what it determines is available on the hardware platform. Perhaps since GPS isn't always connected on a Curve, GPS functionality isn't "activated" or installed. Has anyone tried installing it with a GPS puck connected? (probably wishful thinking on my part, but worth a short experiment)

Stinsonddog
08-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Give me a bit to figure out how and I'll be glad to!

oppitronic.de (http://oppitronic.de/pb/bbscreenshooter.php)

easiest and best way to do it.

TomN
08-26-2007, 12:17 PM
I installed 1.6.1 over version 1.5.4 and did NOT have my GPS connected to the Curve. Here are the screenshots. I hope they're formatted correctly.

bdizzlefizzle
08-26-2007, 01:09 PM
I just took the plunge, and it's there for me, too.

Unlocked 8300 bought from AT&T operating on AT&T

John Clark
08-26-2007, 01:15 PM
So, was this just an oversight on Google's part? Once was lost but now is found?? Interesting...

vinmontRD
08-26-2007, 01:24 PM
So, was this just an oversight on Google's part? Once was lost but now is found?? Interesting...

I'd be curious to see a few more reports of good results....

xkon
08-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Does anyone really know for sure that Google Maps purposely disabled the GPS? I keep hearing it said that they have and I admit it seems that way..

I have the impression it was not intentional, as I loaded the 8800 gmaps onto my 8300 and it does have the GPS functionality still, it was just the 8300 version that didnt... hopefully, anyhow.

John Clark
08-26-2007, 01:38 PM
I would have believed that initially if the GPS option hadn't disappeared in BBMaps at the same time.

Stinsonddog
08-26-2007, 02:13 PM
I installed 1.6.1 over version 1.5.4 and did NOT have my GPS connected to the Curve. Here are the screenshots. I hope they're formatted correctly.

THANK YOU FOR CONTRIBUTING TO THE COMMUNITY. I edited the thread title.
;-)

TomN
08-26-2007, 03:20 PM
THANK YOU FOR CONTRIBUTING TO THE COMMUNITY. I edited the thread title.
;-)

Trust me it was my pleasure! I've learned so much from this forum that it is really nice to be able to make any contribution back to it. Glad to help!

John Clark
08-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Anyone else confirm this works for them?

Webwbr
08-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Hot dog... 1.6.1 works! Ok, now I'll at least consider forgiving Google.

Thanks all,

John Clark
08-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Strange....glad it's now working for everyone.

lilitiki
08-26-2007, 04:16 PM

Not trying until I know for sure. I've had reports of it not available. You'd think google would let us know what's going on. On their forums the respond to every issue but this. Why the mystery?

John Clark
08-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Why not try it? You can still go back to the 1.5.4 using the link above.

lilitiki
08-26-2007, 04:22 PM

I am away on a trip. Will be home Wed. Don't want to mess anything up on the road. ;-)

John Clark
08-26-2007, 04:29 PM

I am away on a trip. Will be home Wed. Don't want to mess anything up on the road. ;-)

My motto, as well!! Learned from experience! :oops:

vinmontRD
08-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Since I had lost GPS when upgrading a few days ago, I was relieved to fall back to 1.5.4 and get GPS back -- so I was reluctant to try 1.6.1 too. However I just tried it, and lo and behold the GPS option is, indeed, back. When I go into Blackberry Options / Advanced Options / Applications, the entry for Google Maps shows the following:

Description: Google Maps (dc=Web)
Version: 1.6.1
Vendor: Google
Modules: gmaps8300_v4_2_L1

In the Maps application itself my menu options shows as Bluetooth GPS, and when I select it, I get a dialog box asking to select a GPS Device. In my case, since I don't have a BT puck paired, I see "no devices found", but I'm comfortable now that when I *do* in fact pair a BT GPS puck with my Curve, I'll have the functionality.

As John noted, it appears that Google gave us back the functionality that had been removed before. Not sure if it was intentional - and that they were pondering caving in to the pressure that we *believe* AT&T is putting on Google and RIM - but then "saw the light", or if it was just an oversight that they fixed. Either way - I'm glad to see that Google maps for the Curve doesn't appear to be GPS-crippled.

Yay!

rsnadel
08-26-2007, 09:00 PM
I just deleted Google Maps v1.5.4 from my Curve, downloaded (OTA) v1.6.1, clicked on the Bluetooth GPS option on the Blackberry key, and the Freedom Input GPS puck went to work. The GPS functionality is definitely there.

lilitiki
08-27-2007, 06:05 AM

I bit the bullet and upgraded. This time the gps bt function appeard! I am pleased, just wish they were better communicators.

lilitiki
08-27-2007, 06:06 AM

I bit the bullet and upgraded. This time the gps bt function appeard! I am pleased, just wish they were better communicators.

jsaradhi
08-27-2007, 10:20 AM
i lost all my favorites in the google maps application (1.6.0) when i upgraded to 1.6.1. is there a way not to lose them again during an upgrade? i uninstalled 1.6.0 and installed 1.6.1...may b thats wat i did wrong? thanks...

John Clark
08-27-2007, 11:41 AM
No, they always get lost. No way around it.

jsaradhi
08-27-2007, 11:53 AM
oh that sucks...i wish i cud make a backup or something...thanks anyway!

sawadee
08-29-2007, 11:22 AM
I installed Google Maps by way of Google Services that includes GMail, GNews, and GSearch. When I go to Options/AdvancedOptions/Applications I see only Google Services in Bold.
I click on it and I see a lot of modules installed but with no revisions. Anyone know how to tell what versioin of GMaps I have? It listed seperately as far as I can see in Options.

MoonLitNite
09-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Been there myself my friend... right now I'm starting to get rather "anti-google", but if they fix it I might forgive them. Until then, go directly tho this link and you'll get down-graded back to 1.5.4

Linky (http://www.google.com/gmm/apps/v1.5.4/L1/gmaps-BlackBerry-8703_v4_1_L1.jad?make=BlackBerry&model=8300+v4+1&ver=v1.5.4)
{Fixed link... sorry}

That's assuming you have a 8300 (Curve) I'm assuming that is what you have [posting in this forum, but your profile says 8100. Good luck,

Hi all,

I couldn't get Google Maps 1.6.1 to sync with my BB Curve, but didn't have any better luck with 1.5.4 FYI - I'm using a Garmin 370 Nuvi. Both versions of Google Maps have the Bluetooth GPS options (I assume I select the 2nd, but it generates an error message):
Bluetooth Serial Port
BLUES API1

After the app loads, I get an "Updating location" status msg box that doesn't go away until I click the menu. Trying BLUES API1 generates the error "Sorry, we can't determine your location at present" while the Bluetooth Serial Port extinguishes the "Updating location" msg but doesn't sych the BB with the NUVI. I would have expected the menu GPS Devices to list my NUVI but it's not shown; it's definitely shown in the BB Managing Communication menu as a paired device (FYI - looking under Device Properties, indeed it lists BLUES API1 under Services)

Perhaps I've got an operator error - any ideas? FYI - the NUVI 370 Bluetooth is working fine - I can use it as a phone to make speakerphone calls via the BB Curve, accessing the NUVI POI, etc.

Thanks, Michael

bdizzlefizzle
09-10-2007, 06:13 PM
I'm so annoyed. Since I connected Google Maps to my Freedom Mini GPS receiver, now it constantly tells me that bluetooth needs to be one when I run Google Maps, even if I don't want to use the GPS. I don't see anyway to turn off the search for a GPS receiver.

Ideas?

bdizzlefizzle
09-12-2007, 03:38 PM
This has been the most unstable piece of crap. In addition to the first issue I posted about constantly telling me I have to turn on BT, I went to dial a number for a business it found, and I got in this crazy loop about approving the request, and then the BT question popping up. I tried shutting down, and it didn't help (start up, and it did it all again), so I had to pull the battery.

I just deleted it, and reinstalled it, but we'll see if it stays on the device until a new version comes up

lilitiki
09-12-2007, 04:03 PM
This has been the most unstable piece of crap. In addition to the first issue I posted about constantly telling me I have to turn on BT, I went to dial a number for a business it found, and I got in this crazy loop about approving the request, and then the BT question popping up. I tried shutting down, and it didn't help (start up, and it did it all again), so I had to pull the battery.

I just deleted it, and reinstalled it, but we'll see if it stays on the device until a new version comes up

Is it a google maps issue? Or a freedom mini gps issue? I ask because I had these issues with both telenav AND google maps while on the east coast -- no issues here on the west coast. So what I'm saying is... maybe it's a puck issue?

But you would know if you tried any other software with it... I know bb maps never worked well with my freedom.

bdizzlefizzle
09-12-2007, 08:39 PM
I'm using MapQuest Navigator with the Freedom mini, and it's been fine/great. Yahoo! Go Maps seems fine, too. Definitely a GoogleMaps thing. If you run 1.6.1, it seems bulkier (the interface added unnecessary bulk), and slower. I've also had problems with it crashing. Definitely not a good build in my eyes

lilitiki
09-13-2007, 12:13 AM
Yahoo go never worked for me and my mini. Never tried Mapquest though...