PDA

View Full Version : Disgruntled AT&T Wireless Refugee

JDeane
05-26-2005, 03:43 AM
Yes, it's true; I am one of the many refugees of AT&T Wireless accepted into the "Cingular Family." I was rather happy with the switch to Cingular at first, before I actually changed services. Over the past month, I have experienced two dropped calls a day or more. This comes as a shock to me because the only time I experienced a dropped call was in the back woods of Kentucky or traveling on an obscure road.

While the bars may be high most of the time, I find that the data service is much slower and the quality of voice communications is frightening. I just want the great service of AT&T Wireless that I experienced for close to a decade.

The bottom line is that I'm not sure if I should bring my 7290 back and make a dash for Nextel or T-Mobile or sit it out and hope that Cingular improves.

All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia.

Comments?

ChrisLuce
05-26-2005, 07:36 AM
I guess it is a GOOD THING that I have decided to stay with AT&T as long as I can. I have wanted to change but the cost of 4 brand new phones really makes me mad and also having to pay a migration price per phone also pisses me off. When you look at the final price your like OMG!!!

Anyway, even though I am still on AT&T, I still have the same problem as you since the migration started. I will be talking and (DROP) there goes the call. I have full strenght but can't understand why. Cingular . AT&T says you need to migrate to get a new SIM and Phone and this will stop (YEAH RIGHT). I told them to fix the problem and this should not happen. The REP got pissed at me and hung up (their excuse was the call dropped)... HAHAHA.

Mark Rejhon
05-26-2005, 07:58 AM
Although this does not always help, I know that the latest BlackBerryOS 4.0 usually helps reduce the number of call drops. Make sure you upgrade to OS version 4.0.0.198 or later.

(Version is shown at Options->About)

gmdaught
05-26-2005, 11:09 AM
I, too am a disgruntled At&T. I had great service for 9 years as an AT&T customer. I'm still technically on an AT&T plan, though I would have liked to change plans an upgrade. Cingular would not offer me any deal to upgrade to a BB, and was told I had to pay full retail for any new phone. This is an awful card they are playing with former customers. I'm absolutely livid. I've been a customer for almost 10 years, and they want me to pay $300 for a blackberry when anyone can walk in off the street and pay $150. They won't even allow me to sign up for another 2 year contract.

I've got another year to go on my contract. Cingular will have to really bend over backwards if they have any hope of keeping me as a customer. I'm almost at the point of paying $150 and buying out my contract, just so I can defect with peace of mind...

'Greg

Ragrots
05-26-2005, 12:40 PM
The problem seems to be that Cingular has sold all of their towers to T-Mobile. If you still have an AT&T sim card you're fine... If you have a Cingular Sim you're screwed until they finish the migration...

ata0311
05-26-2005, 02:48 PM
check to see if your sim card is 32k. New cingular sim cards are 64k and they cover both at&t and cingular towers. changing your sim card MAY fix your problem with dropped calls.

mobile316
05-26-2005, 05:05 PM
where do you guys live that AT&T service is to brag about? I have sold for Sprint, AT&T/Cingular, and Verizon. I find it interesting that so many people even consider Nextel and Tmobile with their very limited coverage. I know about the cingular and att problems, I lived throught the tdma/gsm switch, selling. what about verizon in your area?? The network is so much more vast and more reliable? Just curious.

ChrisLuce
05-26-2005, 06:02 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7290/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/5.1.2.9)

I am in Northern Ca and my service is actually pretty good. Every once in a while I will get a dropped call for no reason but the data service for my BB seems to work just fine.

gmdaught
05-26-2005, 06:37 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7290/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/5.1.2.9)

I am in Northern Ca and my service is actually pretty good. Every once in a while I will get a dropped call for no reason but the data service for my BB seems to work just fine.

I, too live in the Bay area, and AT&T has ALWAYS had the best coverage for me. For the longest time AT&T was the only service I could get inside my office building. Everyone else had to go outside to make calls. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Colorado, and North Carolina. AT&T was always very good to me...

After 4 calls and over an hour on the phone I finally successfully (I think) got a blackberry data plan added to my family voice plan. Still on AT&T. I'm still trying to get the thing configured, but at least I got some movement. I finally got GSM and 4 bars, so it looks like I have data service...

So apparently you CAN add a blackberry data plan to a family voice plan, you just have to get to the right person...

'Greg

mobile316
05-27-2005, 10:10 AM
With any carrier, most of the time things CAN be done. It just depends on the person you speak with. LOL. Some of them even do things they are NOT supposed to. I am currently with Verizon in TN. If i cant get something done, then i hang up and call again. PS_ its a good idea to SCHMOOZE the rep in the beginning. If you care about them, generally, they will do more for you. Thx for the info!!!

gmdaught
05-27-2005, 05:27 PM
Unfortunately, I spoke too soon. I schmoozed my way into another dead end yesterday. Finally, it can be done, yes, but they still would not do it without splitting my account into two. That would triple my wireless bill. For that price, I might as well buy out my contract and sign up again, anew...

Very, very disappointed in cingular...

'Greg

Mark Rejhon
05-27-2005, 08:19 PM
check to see if your sim card is 32k. New cingular sim cards are 64k and they cover both at&t and cingular towers. changing your sim card MAY fix your problem with dropped calls.I can confirm a few 7290 users that became happier with a 64k card. Definitely give this route a try. There are some useful threads on HowardForums about this.

May not work, but it has helped some people.

Essentially
(1) Upgrade to 64K SIM card
(2) Upgrade to BlackBerryOS 4.0.0.198 or later

I've heard many people becoming a lot happier on Cingular with these two steps done simultaneously.

JDeane
05-27-2005, 09:08 PM
I never had a 32K SIM card with this 7290 to begin with and I upgraded to OS 4 weeks ago.