PDA

View Full Version : Tethering an 8830 on Sprint with SLED?

robertpetry
08-16-2007, 09:13 PM
Hello,

I run SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop as my single boot OS on my laptop (it rocks by the way). I travel a lot and would really like to use my 8830 as a modem for my laptop.

Does anyone know how to set this up?

Again: Sprint, 8830, SLED, IBM X40 laptop.

Thanks!!

gcaz
08-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Came here to ask the same question! This is one of the things keeping me from moving to from XP to K/X/Ubuntu. I've got a 7130e with Sprint and tether all the time.

I should say, the 7130e needs USB tethering (no BT modem profile). http://www.blackberryforums.com/linux-users-corner/87309-any-options-connecting-linux-laptop.html#post611957 indicates XmBlackBerry might do this?

alkos333
08-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Sprint
Blackberry 8830
Slackware 12.0
ThinkPad T60 1953-E7U

I've been trying to set this up using XmBlackBerry, but haven't had any luck yet.

John Clark
08-25-2007, 11:33 PM
I know almost nothing about Linux (can barely even spell it) but this is a new sticky thread. Don't know if it helps or not but here it is:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/linux-users-corner/92085-how-tether-use-modem-your-bb-linux.html

mariner
08-29-2007, 10:02 AM
I tried this with Ubuntu 7.04 and could not get passed the USB issues with that kernel.

I also tried with RHEL5 and I think I'm very close. XmBlackBerry launches, but doesn't give the messages about the modem being available that were mentioned in the directions.

I'm going to upgrade to the beta version of Ubuntu to test the newer kernel.

You'd probably have to compile libusb, openmotif, Xlt, barry and xmblackberry to get it to work on SLED10. If I fail with Gutsy Gibbon, that may be my next step.

alkos333
08-30-2007, 03:18 PM
I tried this with Ubuntu 7.04 and could not get passed the USB issues with that kernel.

I also tried with RHEL5 and I think I'm very close. XmBlackBerry launches, but doesn't give the messages about the modem being available that were mentioned in the directions.

I'm going to upgrade to the beta version of Ubuntu to test the newer kernel.

You'd probably have to compile libusb, openmotif, Xlt, barry and xmblackberry to get it to work on SLED10. If I fail with Gutsy Gibbon, that may be my next step.

Don't even bother. XmBlackBerry is looking for a BlackBerry with ProductID 0001 and BB 8830 has a product id of 0006, so it's not even supported by XmBlackBerry yet.

alkos333
09-01-2007, 09:06 PM
I managed to tether to my 8830 via Bluetooth. I set everything up except my ppp and chat scripts by following this wiki: How to setup Bluetooth - ThinkWiki (http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_setup_Bluetooth)

ppp and chat scripts that I came up with upon playing with minicom:

/etc/ppp/peers/alkos333_BB8830:
/dev/rfcomm0
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -s -f /etc/ppp/chats/alkos333_BB8830"
defaultroute

/etc/ppp/chats/alkos333_BB8830:
'' ATDT#777 CONNECT

You can certainly elaborate on the scripts, I just preferred to keep them simple and develop as needed. It would be a good idea to create a disconnect script to politely end connections.

All I have to do to connect is have the Bluetooth enabled on both the ThinkPad and the 8830 and run the following:

rfcomm bind 0
pppd call alkos333_BB8830

robertpetry
09-11-2007, 02:26 PM
alkos333,

That is awesome!!!

I have a Thinkpad x40, a Blackberry 8830 from Sprint and I'm running SLED 10 sp1. I am an amateur at Linux to say the least. Can you give me the "tethering for dummies" version? Also, do you think we could do this with the USB cable? I think the speed would be better.

Thanks!! Great work!

gastromancer
09-23-2007, 05:43 PM
[QUOTE=alkos333;653281]I managed to tether to my 8830 via Bluetooth. I set everything up except my ppp and chat scripts by following this wiki: How to setup Bluetooth - ThinkWiki (http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_setup_Bluetooth)

alkos333, can you post any details on how you got the USB pairing working? Which version of Linux, which version of USB-utils? I tried the instructions on Thinkwiki, and it didn't work at all for me.

In the past, I've gotten pairing working with various USB devices, but I fear that there's been bitrot in the bluez code,
'cos it didn't work for me at all this time. I got errors in the passkey stuff, where, again, in the past it's worked smooth as silk.

Anyway, if you could post details, I'd sure appreciate it.

Or, I'm gastromancer@<hidden>, if you'd prefer to send email.

Thanks,
--chet--

gastromancer
09-25-2007, 12:46 PM
[QUOTE=alkos333;653281]I managed to tether to my 8830 via Bluetooth. I set everything up except my ppp and chat scripts by following this wiki: How to setup Bluetooth - ThinkWiki (http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_setup_Bluetooth)

alkos3333, I finally figured out how to pair with bluez on linux. The trick was to run a passkey-agent program (provided in source with the bluez packages). You run the passkey-agent like this:
passkey-agent --default 0000

where "0000" is your default PIN. That's all.

Everything else worked. I actually used the instructions in the SPRINT broadband setup guide for Linux, and those worked fine.