PDA

View Full Version : Tethered modem vs PC Card or Air Card

k9cachers
08-19-2007, 06:10 AM
I have the 8703e and have been using it as a tethered modem with my Vista laptop. Is there any benefit to use a PC card or Air Card (not sure of the difference) rather than the tethered modem? Is it quicker with the PC Card as opposed to the tethered modem?
Any advice appreciated.
thanks!

stewsan
08-19-2007, 06:22 AM
From what I have experienced the air card is faster compared to tethering the BB.

penguin3107
08-19-2007, 06:37 AM
I have the 8703e and have been using it as a tethered modem with my Vista laptop. Is there any benefit to use a PC card or Air Card (not sure of the difference) rather than the tethered modem? Is it quicker with the PC Card as opposed to the tethered modem?
Any advice appreciated.
thanks!

"Air Card" is a now a term often used to describe any PC card which provides wireless wan (WWAN) access.
Sort of like calling all cotton swabs "Q-tips", or all bandages "Band-Aids".

Verizon Wireless and Sprint both offver EVDO Rev. A cards for laptops.
They will be noticably faster that your tethered 8703e.

You'd also be able to use your phone during a data session, which you can't do on your tethered 8703e.

k9cachers
08-19-2007, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the info. Think I'll go by the Verizon store and check out the PC cards and the cost. It is pretty slow with the tethered modem.

Walt
08-19-2007, 09:14 AM
I used to have the Verizon wireless card and service that I paid $60 per month for. I also have a Sprint Blackberry 8703e. I decided to tether the BB and try out the connection. I really don't see much difference other than the tethering is free and I'm saving $60 per month. The only thing with the card is that it's handier to have it in the pcmcia slot rather than a phone dangling off a usb cable. However for me, it's not worth $60 for that handiness. <g>

penguin3107
08-19-2007, 10:03 AM
I used to have the Verizon wireless card and service that I paid $60 per month for. I also have a Sprint Blackberry 8703e. I decided to tether the BB and try out the connection. I really don't see much difference other than the tethering is free and I'm saving $60 per month. The only thing with the card is that it's handier to have it in the pcmcia slot rather than a phone dangling off a usb cable. However for me, it's not worth $60 for that handiness. <g>

What model number was the card? You probably didn't have an EVDO Rev A card, as they are quite new and definitely faster than any Blackberry available right now.

harryzuluberries
08-19-2007, 12:33 PM
What model number was the card? You probably didn't have an EVDO Rev A card, as they are quite new and definitely faster than any Blackberry available right now.

Actually, my buddy tethers his 8830 and gets speeds close enough to what i'm getting with my pci-express EVDO Rev. A card. Both on Sprint.