PDA

View Full Version : This feature is SO VALUABLE!!

MDesigner
05-26-2005, 03:29 PM
A lot of you have seen my complaints on the 7100g and BB in general. Know that I'm not a troll at all, just pointing out some flaws in the system.. but as discussed earlier, my particular unit may be defective.

Anyway, I discovered a feature which is HIGHLY VALUABLE to me. I posted in another thread that it would be nice if I could email from the handheld and have it show up in my "sent items" in Outlook at home. Well, in a way, it IS possible. In BIS, you can have it auto-send your sent emails to particular email address! Then you can simply go home later, and drag that into your Sent Items folder!

This is great. In the past, I'd read emails on the road, but avoid emailing back a reply from my mobile device, because I wanted a record of my sent email in Outlook, not just stored on the handheld. But now I can write away, because I get a duplicate sent home that I can file later.

Awesome!!

SLYDER
05-26-2005, 03:49 PM
We use a BES with our Novell network and GroupWise for our email system. As long as your BB email settings says "Save copy in Sent Folder" under Email options it does leave a copy in our Groupwise Sent mail as well.

Mark Rejhon
05-26-2005, 03:55 PM
If you get a BES hosting service such as Link2Exchange, etc, you can have wireless folder synchronization with your Outlook. Sent to Sent. Inbox to Inbox. etc.

In fact everything else in Outlook is wirelessly synchronized. Add a Contact in Outlook, it shows up wirelessly on your BlackBerry's addressbook. And vice-versa.

That's even better than the BIS feature!

Fuzzy
05-26-2005, 04:05 PM
Actually I am fairly certain that all of the Enterprise server versions will do this . . .I use exchange and it does.

MDesigner
05-26-2005, 04:07 PM
Yeah but I'm already paying $44/mo for the BlackBerry service.. I'm not gonna pay more for access to a BES server. :) I can manage using these semi-hacky solutions...

dkhanal
05-26-2005, 08:31 PM
I have set up my BWC to send a cc to myself whatever I send from my BB...and in Outlook simply set up a a filter to copy everything that comes into my inbox to "Sent Items" folder....works great for me...what's the big deal??

It doesn't have to be that complicated...! :)

Dkhanal

Nextel User
05-26-2005, 09:02 PM
I have set up my BWC to send a cc to myself whatever I send from my BB...and in Outlook simply set up a a filter to copy everything that comes into my inbox to "Sent Items" folder....works great for me...what's the big deal??

if you use your desktop address as your from address, and your desktop address may also be your BB address. sending a cc to yourself results in duplicates on the handheld, very annoying.

I use the BWC and i had this problem. Here is what i did..
In the BWC i requested a copy of my sent mail to be sent to another address (not the one that comes to my blackberry). for 99% of the world you have additional pop3 boxes that you dont use. your Internet provider usually gives you multiple boxes, or ask for another box at the office. then set up outlook to retrieve that email as well. My FILTER in outlook is...
called "sent from Blackberry"
it checks to see if email that is retrieved has my Regular (primary, which is also my main office email) address in the from field (My BB is set up to display my Desktop Email Address and not my blahblah@<hidden> address) and it moves it automatically to the sent items folder.
this works very well for me.
all email i send from my desktop and handheld have the same from address and all email is saved on my desktop.

hope this helps.
if you dont have an extra pop box, there are many many free ones on the net. My favorite is mail.com

Hi Mark, I finally registered here. gotta start reading all the posts. if you like this solution, you can post it in your stickies as a lot of ppl have trouble getting this to work

texasrose73
05-26-2005, 10:12 PM
You could use the same email address by setting your filter so that any email sent from that address AND to that address would not be delivered to your Blackberry, only your Outlook. No need for a second email address. Example:

Filter Name = Sent From Blackberry
If ALL of these conditions are TRUE:
From contains "outlook address"
To contains "outlook address"

This filter will eliminate the sent email from being resent to the Blackberry.

It's been a long day and I'm tired..........hope this has made sense. I would hate to reread this in the morning and realize I sound like a rambling fool..........ha-ha!

:oops:

texasrose73
05-27-2005, 07:17 AM
Told you I was tired.

The last step is to click the radio button that reads "Do not send to Blackberry."

Sorry!!

corey@12mile
05-27-2005, 07:28 AM
Could you not just tell the BB to save sent messages, and then sync it once you get back to your computer?

texasrose73
05-27-2005, 09:36 AM
If you are using only BWC, you cannot sync emails........only contacts, calendar, memo pad and tasks.

Nextel User
05-27-2005, 12:25 PM
You could use the same email address by setting your filter so that any email sent from that address AND to that address would not be delivered to your Blackberry, only your Outlook. No need for a second email address. Example:

Filter Name = Sent From Blackberry
If ALL of these conditions are TRUE:
From contains "outlook address"
To contains "outlook address"

This filter will eliminate the sent email from being resent to the Blackberry.

It's been a long day and I'm tired..........hope this has made sense. I would hate to reread this in the morning and realize I sound like a rambling fool..........ha-ha!

:oops:

i use comcast and have my settings on comcast to auto forward a copy of all email sent to my blah@<hidden> address to my Blackberry. so a filter in outlook wont prevent the email from getting back to me. the reason i set it up on comcast is email will get to me as soon as it hits comcasts server, and even if my office computer is off. i assume in your setup that you have outlook forward your email to you, or the bwc gets it from your outlook. those are the slow delayed methods.

corey@12mile
05-27-2005, 12:32 PM
If you are using only BWC, you cannot sync emails........only contacts, calendar, memo pad and tasks.

The original post was talking about getting sent items into the outlook sent items folder at home. Make sure the handheld saves sent messages, and sync. It's really that easy.

cd.

texasrose73
05-27-2005, 12:37 PM
I guess I am not understanding what you are saying. Why are you using a forward from comcast to your blackberry? Why not set up the comcast address in the BWC as it would still go to the Blackberry as soon as it hit your comcast server. I have my office email address and my personal email address both set up my BWC and get emails from both on my Blackberry. The filter I was referring to is also set up in BWC, so that if I email from my blackberry, the email BCC's to my office address, but does not go to my Blackberry.

MDesigner
05-27-2005, 12:38 PM
The original post was talking about getting sent items into the outlook sent items folder at home. Make sure the handheld saves sent messages, and sync. It's really that easy.

cd.

I don't think there was any confusion.. texasrose simply stated that you can only sync emails if you use BES, which I think is correct. I don't have access to a BES... so I am not able to sync emails.. so I've come up with an alternate method.

MDesigner
05-27-2005, 12:39 PM
I guess I am not understanding what you are saying. Why are you using a forward from comcast to your blackberry? Why not set up the comcast address in the BWC as it would still go to the Blackberry as soon as it hit your comcast server. I have my office email address and my personal email address both set up my BWC and get emails from both on my Blackberry. The filter I was referring to is also set up in BWC, so that if I email from my blackberry, the email BCC's to my office address, but does not go to my Blackberry.

No, if you set up the comcast addy in the BWC, it does not forward to the handheld as soon as it hits the comcast server. The BWC fetches mail from all POP/IMAP servers I think every 10-15 mins or so. I can live with the 10-15 minute delay, I don't need to see my email IMMEDIATELY.. no big deal. And for people who want to be able to email me and have me see it right away, I set up a special alias @<hidden> my domain that forwards to my BlackBerry push email address.

corey@12mile
05-27-2005, 01:26 PM
You can sync your handheld without any wireless at all, plug in the cable and run intellisync... Do you need wireless sync of your sent items? If you are close enough to your computer to need to be able to see sent items, plug in your cable and do a wired sync, you're right there.

I think doing a round about way of keeping sent items like this is not a good idea... to many things that can break or happen, the email is going all over the place... Do a wired sync every so often, once a week and then you have all your sent items... no muss, no fuss, just plain simple and easy.

cd.

texasrose73
05-27-2005, 01:33 PM

If you do not use BES, you cannot sync email.

corey@12mile
05-27-2005, 01:52 PM
If you do not use BES, you cannot sync email.

OK... let's see how wrong that statement is...

BES, of course you can sync...
Desktop Redirector, of course you can sync...
BWC, of course you can sync...

You can sync all email messages on your handheld no matter what service you are using to get your email wirelessly. I don't understand why people are still saying you can't.

If people elaborated a bit more and said 'You can't wirelessly sync' when talking about BWC that would be partially correct. The absolute best way to use BWC is to forward your existing pop3 mail to your BWC account, while keeping a copy of your email on the pop3 server. By doing this, you get your mail instantly, no 15 minute delay for BWC to go out and check the pop3 account. You get to use your favourite email client on your desktop, and get all your mail there as well. Plus, once in a while you hook up your trusty cable to your handheld and use intellisync to update you contact, calendar, notes, tasks, sent items even.

This method is much more desirable than waiting for BWC to check your email, then having to BCC some other account to be checked from your desktop.

If people don't have a pop3 account, go sign up for gmail. A simple google search for a website that dish's out invitations is quite easy to do. gmail allows pop3 access as well as mail forwarding, for free. You even get the coolness of having a gmail address to, if it matters to you.

All in all it's all very easy, any monkey can setup their email this way and then you have everything you could possibly want. Once again, yes... it is that simple.

cd.

texasrose73
05-27-2005, 02:18 PM
This Monkey Was Not Trying To Prove Which Way Was Better, Only Trying To Help By Giving Another Option. I Prefer The Way I Have It Set Up. You Don't Have To Like It........i Don't Care. But If You Do Not Use Bes, You Do Not Have The "wired" Ability To Sync Emails. Intellesync Only Allows Sync Of Contacts, Calendar, Memo, And Tasks. If Your Intellesync Allows Email Sync.......please Enlighten Us Monkeys On How You Managed To Pull That One Off.

Nextel User
05-27-2005, 02:45 PM
Texas.. i agree with you on this most recent post. as for the comcast setup, its because i get it instantly. the BWC only checks every 15 minutes. i need to be able to call my contacts in the field asap to meet someone if the opportunity calls for it. i dont have the leeway of waiting. i wish the world were not in a rush, but it seems thats life these days...

ajstan99
05-27-2005, 04:11 PM
If Your Intellesync Allows Email Sync.......please Enlighten Us Monkeys On How You Managed To Pull That One Off.

My simian friends, here are the Desktop Redirector and Intellisync capabilities as I know them. Hope this helps.

I am connected to an Exchange Server and leave a desktop PC running Desktop Redirector at the office to forward e-mail. I run Intellisync from my notebook PC.

-------------
To have all e-mail that I send with my 7100 using the Desktop service be wirelessly copied to my Sent Items folder on Exchange upon sending, I use the following setting from the "Advanced" tab in "Redirector Settings" from Desktop Manager:

"When sending a message from my handheld:"
Check the box that says: "Save Copy In Sent Folder".

-------------
Also, when I forward or reply to a message via my 7100, the received message is automatically marked as "Forwarded" or "Replied-to" in Exchange upon sending of the message.

-------------
When running Intellisync, to mark messages as "Read" and to have messages that were deleted on my handheld be deleted in Exchange (and vice versa), I use the following setting on my 7100:

Email General Options > Email Reconciliation
Message Services: Desktop
Delete On: Desktop and Handheld

. . . and I use the following settings for Intellisync:

Check the box that says "Reconcile Messages" in both the "Synchronize Now" and "Auto Start" options.

-------------
Of course, the fact that I have to use Intellisync means that there are components that are not accomplished wirelessly, but my email still syncs completely without using BES or BWC.

texasrose73
05-27-2005, 04:22 PM
I give..........Mercy..........Uncle............Whatever!

Zoinks
05-27-2005, 10:48 PM
Actually I am fairly certain that all of the Enterprise server versions will do this . . .I use exchange and it does.

Agreed

dyzs
05-29-2005, 01:33 AM
To have all e-mail that I send with my 7100 using the Desktop service be wirelessly copied to my Sent Items folder on Exchange upon sending, I use the following setting from the "Advanced" tab in "Redirector Settings" from Desktop Manager:

"When sending a message from my handheld:"
Check the box that says: "Save Copy In Sent Folder".

-------------
Also, when I forward or reply to a message via my 7100, the received message is automatically marked as "Forwarded" or "Replied-to" in Exchange upon sending of the message.

Will this work with redirector if using POP/IMAP and not on exchange?

ajstan99
05-29-2005, 10:49 AM
Will this work with redirector if using POP/IMAP and not on exchange?

I'm not sure. I've never tried it.

mok7100
06-27-2005, 05:04 PM
If you get a BES hosting service such as Link2Exchange, etc, you can have wireless folder synchronization with your Outlook. Sent to Sent. Inbox to Inbox. etc.

In fact everything else in Outlook is wirelessly synchronized. Add a Contact in Outlook, it shows up wirelessly on your BlackBerry's addressbook. And vice-versa.

That's even better than the BIS feature!

Right- but what about privacy and data security when you use a third party provider like L2E? How 'safe' is it to have your calendar and contacts, etc. on someone else's server?

-Marc

jdover
06-28-2005, 03:34 AM
Texas, that method (You could use the same email address by setting your filter so that any email sent from that address AND to that address would not be delivered to your Blackberry, only your Outlook. No need for a second email address.) doesn't work when one replies to a mail - any suggestions to take account of thatthat?