PDA

View Full Version : Contact setting in Desktop manager - will I stop OTA sync?

ianbranch
08-21-2007, 05:03 PM
I have a Blackberry (on O2 in the UK) activated on my work BES sytem. Mail, address book, contacts, etc are all syncing fine over the air.:smile:

My question relates to the Blackberry Desktop Manager on my PC. When at my work desk, I plug my BB8800 into the PC using the sync cable. This may be a dumb question, but can you tell me what happens when I do this? I know it will update things like DataVault and it seems to perform some sort of sync but surely everything is alreay in sync due to the OTA connection.

MORE SPECIFICALLY, if I go into the advanced sync options [Configuration|Configure Sync] then only the calendar option is ticked (saying Blackberry wireless sync). What effect does checking/unchecking these options have. I want to sync 'spouse' and 'children' from Outlook 2003 to the spare user fields on the device. I know I can do this in the settings but (a) does it have any effect if the Address Book option is not checked?, (b) if I check the Address Book what effect does this have on the wireless syncing of the address book?, (c) do settings here affect the wireless syncing or only via the cable?

I'm nervous about changing these options in case it affects the wireless sync.

Help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Ian