PDA

View Full Version : should I dump my Treo 700xw for the 8830 at verizon?

lexnsyd
08-25-2007, 09:13 AM
I need advice.... I've been a palm user going back to palm pilot. I went to the 700wm last year. I'm happy with it... especially after installing a sms string text but I'm sick and tired of the brick like feeling.

I have to stick with Verizon because they offer the least dropped calls in my area so jumping to ATT (which I did as a test on their claim they had the least dropped calls...yeah...right. I tried their pearl for two days... speed was from the dark ages...exchanged it for the 750...smaller than the 700...but back to dropped calls!!!)

So here are my questions... I want to incorporate the features I like in to the blackberry from the treo.. such as...

-string sms text messaging (3rd party fine... my wife loves that)
-being able to sync over the air with outlook exchange server... inclusive of tasks, calendar and addresses (again...3rd party fine...)
-customize the start screen with commonly used phone numbers...meaning not having to go through too many steps for common things.
-ease of use...

Has anyone made the jump so they can get the best of all worlds? If they only had a palm that was thin like the Q or most smart phones I wouldn't be looking.

I went to look at it... they'll give me a 30 day free trial and I can switch back to the treo if I want...however I want to put any and all 3rd party apps in place immediately for a good 30 day test.

Any advice would be appreciated!!!!

John Clark
08-25-2007, 09:26 AM
1. There is currently no app for "stringing" the sms messages.
2. You can sync OTA but only with BES (extra monthly charge from 3rd party provider unless your company has one they can add you to.
3. Not sure what you mean by "customize the start screen with phone numbers."
4. It is quite simple to use.

Dubdub
08-25-2007, 10:13 AM
My recommendation is stick with the Treo. You won't be happy with the BB if those are your real needs.

jeremyckitching
08-25-2007, 10:24 AM
You may want to give the 8830 a try, just to see if you enjoy it. The Pearl is rumored to be making its way to Verizon sometime this year, so you may want to wait and give that a try instead.

lexnsyd
08-25-2007, 10:31 AM
I did try the pearl for a few days at cingular....between the dropped calls (in my area...) and the slow speed I never even gave it a chance... however, I got used to the unique typing feature pretty easily....it was cool. I also saw that the Pearl might be coming to Verizon... I would normally assume it would have evdo... but with verizon I never assume. TY

lexnsyd
08-28-2007, 01:05 PM
Between this forum and others I got the 8830 for a 30 day trial and so far I love it! The buttons are kind of close together but I'm getting used to it. It actually does have a type of string on SMS that I was looking for. As long as you look at the latest SMS from a particular person it will string you back from when you started it. That will make my wife happy. I'm having a little trouble with BES and wirless syncing my calendar with MS exchange so if anyone has any thoughts I would love to hear them.