PDA

View Full Version : blackberry took a swim: red LED?


eno
05-28-2005, 12:58 PM
my blackberry took a swim last night in a pool (hard water + chlorine, etc).

When I discovered it, it was vibrating like mad with a blank screen. So I took out the battery and put it in front of a fan for the night to dry off.

Now when I apply power to it (either insert the battery or plug it into the USB, the notification light at top right comes on red for exactly 5 seconds and then goes off. And it won't turn on when I press the power button.

What does the red light for 5secs mean, what can I do, and is there any possible way I can get at my data that's on the device?

coreyg510
05-28-2005, 01:31 PM
Mine did this as well,

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=9191

jscully
05-28-2005, 01:33 PM
It may still need to dry out. You may have to take it right apart (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=8452), or try and replace it under warranty: but don't tell them it swam, just that it stopped working?
To access your data...I don't know if it'll let you sync it to your PIM or do a back-up; either way, I think you'll have to buy a new unit, and either restore from your last back-up, or the back-up since the swim if possible.

eno
05-28-2005, 01:46 PM
I read your thread corey; do you know anything about what the red LED means?

Mark Rejhon
05-28-2005, 01:54 PM
If your BlackBerry got a bath, the most important thing to do is immediately remove the battery and resist the temptation to test the BlackBerry until the BlackBerry is disassembled and cleaned.
Did you remove the battery immediately after it got submerged?

If you did, I give a 90% chance this BlackBerry 7290 can be saved.

If you left the battery in or tried to "test your BlackBerry", your odds are not as good (there are still chances, but not nearly as good), because the battery in a wet BlackBerry causes more damage than the chocolate milk alone.

Hairdryer won't work, car window won't work, because the residue is already inside the BlackBerry. BlackBerry must be disassembled with a Torx T6 and the motherboard washed in distilled water (get it at drugstore), followed by an exact 150-180 degrees F bake for 3 hours. It is more likely to work than not (for non-salt-water immersion), assuming you removed the battery and resisted the temptation to "test" the BlackBerry.

Battery has to be "permanently" kept away from the BlackBerry until DISASSEMBLED and a 24 hour dryout (under halogen lamp), or a 3-4 hour dryout (disassembled, at 150-180F degrees, under boiling point), then only after then, it is safe to put the battery back in to even *think* of testing the BlackBerry AT ALL. Remember: The battery can become a killer/murderer if the BlackBerry is still wet inside. ***SHORT CIRCUIT -- ZAPP!!!*** It is actually safer to keep a BlackBerry under non-salty water for 30 minutes WITHOUT a battery (It has been done before! - And works after 24+ hour DISASSEMBLED dryout) than 30 seconds with a battery -- damage can happen really, really, fast with electricity and liquids...

Yes, I fixed my BlackBerry with a distilled-water motherboard bath (without screen and without casing) for 10-minutes in distilled water. Contact me for any further disassembly & cleaning instructions.

coreyg510
05-28-2005, 02:30 PM
I'm sorry eno... I can't talk about it, its still too painful.

bcradio
05-28-2005, 06:23 PM
See Mark Rejhon's post, it is exactly right. If there was an emergency (Not likely with our toys) 70% denatured alcohol works (NOT Isopropyl alcohol!!) a bit faster, but can leave a residue on the printed circuit, usually a product of the alcohol breaking down the solder mask. The distilled water works better though if you have the time. Water itself isn't what does most of the damage when introduced to electricity for a short period of time, it is the mineral content within the water. Distilled water typically is a pure as you can get it, with all the mineral content 'distilled' out of it. Like Mark says, you don't even want to THINK of cheating. Just wait, or the BB will definitely become a paper weight. I have saved many water damaged devices, and Mark is right-on. If you have already cheated, it may well be too late. The red LED is on probably attempting to reboot the system. Best of luck!

eno
05-29-2005, 01:29 PM
well I was thinking doesn't the red LED glow for 5 seconds when you upgrade firmware and the device restarts to flash the ROM? perhaps this means my ROM was already erased by a short circuit..

and in that case I guess there is no hope cuz I can't load a new ROM image onto it if it has no ROM image to begin with right?

mocaman
05-29-2005, 06:54 PM
well I have never had a blackberry with water damage. But i have had 2 phones go bad this way. Most of the time what happens is stuff get corrided. no matter what u do it get corrided. And when corrision sets in then u can say bye bye to ur phone. But there where both clamshell phones.

hope ur's works out.