PDA

View Full Version : Buying from newegg.com

britchicknyc
08-27-2007, 09:50 AM
Hello Everyone!

This is my very first post here, so please be kind to me!

I am currently about at the end of my verizon contract and I'm pretty sure I would like to switch to AT&T and get the Blackberry 8300 Curve.

I've been looking at a lot of places, trying to decide what and where to buy.

I'm pretty settled on the curve though. This would be for personal use. I really just need a phone and a really good, calendar, to-do list, organiser etc. The email part (data plan) is a bit on an indulgence on my part.

So I see I can get a great deal from Newegg.com - Buy Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! (http://www.newegg.com)

It looks like the Curve would be free, without any mail in rebates (which I hate!) which is fantastic. Interestingly I wouldn't even have to commit to a data plan, which surprised me.

I see this though:

Terms And Conditions

* If you purchase a new wireless communication service plan from AT&T (which is not a substitute for an existing service plan you have with AT&T) through Newegg.com, and purchase a new wireless communication device, such as a cell phone, from Newegg.com, as part of the same order, the price for the device will include a discount of $250.00 (the "Equipment Discount"). YOU MUST REIMBURSE NEWEGG.COM THE AMOUNT OF THE EQUIPMENT DISCOUNT, IF YOU DO NOT MAINTAIN THE WIRELESS COMMUNICATION SERVICE PLAN PURCHASED AS PART OF THE ORDER IN GOOD STANDING FOR A MINIMUM OF 181 DAYS AFTER ACTIVATION. The wireless communication service plan will be considered "not to be in good standing" if:
You fail to pay the balance due by the payment due date in any month.
You cancel the service.
You change the service plan to a different service plan with a lower monthly service rate.
You transfer the equipment to another service plan.
You transfer any phone number associated with the service plan to another service plan.
You use the service plan purchased as part of the same order to replace an existing service plan you have with the same company.
You authorize Newegg.com to initiate a charge to the credit card or other payment method you used to purchase the Equipment in the amount of $250.00, the Equipment Discount, if it is due.

Once I commit to something that is fine. I won't be downgrading the service. I take that fine print to mean, that if I do any of the above they have my permission to charge me $250. Is that right? They won't me charging me that now right?

Second question: If I get this from newegg.com without the data plan, can I just call AT&T to add it at anytime? If I do this, do you know if there is a minimum commitment?

Does anyone have any experience with new egg? I've never used them before.

Thanks for reading all this, and I look forward to using this forum and any help and advice, really is much appreciated!

JSanders
08-27-2007, 10:26 AM
britchicknyc, first, welcome to the Forums.

1- Yes, you should be fine to go, Newegg is reputable (you can probably find the same deal over on Amazon). It does not appear they charge the $250 early terminination fee until your account meets the criteria described.

2- Yes, AT&T will add the Data Plan for you. You will need that for your full use of the BB. It gives you email, full internet, data access, etc.

I have purchased from newegg in the past, never a BB. They are a good-standing company. I have read several people on here who did the similar amazon deal who are pleased.

Keep asking here if needed.

britchicknyc
08-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Thanks so much for your reply and for the welcome.

I am pretty sure I want the data plan, but I don't want to be stuck with it for a year, just in case I don't want it. So I thought if I can order the blackberry without the data plan I should. Then I can add it on myself, and then hopefully I can just quit it if I need to. (Although I doubt it!)

New Egg seems to be such a fantastic deal. They are also giving me a JABRA BT350 Bluetooth headset and a Kingston 1 GB MicroSD flashcard for just the shipping costs of $6.50.

Amazon also seem good, but they are charging $50-100 for the phone. Its still a great deal, but newegg are giving it to me totally free.

I'm just wary as it almost seems too good to be true.

britchicknyc
08-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Also,

I have hotmail. I won't have a problem accessing it, if I get the Blackberry Personal at $29.99 per month right?

JSanders
08-27-2007, 11:10 AM
brit, I "think" I read somewhere you will need the Hotmail Plus account for Hotmail to push to your BlackBerry. That is a hotmail requriement, not BlackBerry.

Maybe someone else will chime in here and confirm or correct.

If true, rather than changing email, either purchase the upgraded hotmail account, or foward it all to a free gmail account and let gmail push to the BlackBerry. There are many workarounds.

britchicknyc
08-27-2007, 11:23 AM
Thanks again!

I do have hotmail plus - I think I pay $20 a year for it. That should work no problems then?

JSanders
08-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Yep, no prob as i understand it. You should be good to go. I think you will like the 8300, slick and nice device.

Get a screen protector and a case/holster for it. You won't like it very much at all if the screen is scratched up. Don't wait.
Try ScreenPatronus (on Ebay or Google) and Best Shields Ever, and ShieldZone.

Cases--look around the sponsors here, Forte and Seido, and others in the Hardware Section of the forum.

Take my advice on the Screen Protector.

Have fun.

britchicknyc
08-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Thanks again. I'll definately look into that.

My current contract ends mid september, and I think I'll order from newegg then. I'm just anxious as the deal seems too good to be true!

test54
08-27-2007, 01:23 PM
I'll second the opinion about newegg, very reputable and i have bought several tings and have never had any issue.

culater88
08-27-2007, 01:32 PM
I have regular hotmail accounts and my emails get pushed to my BB with no problem. I actually get them on my BB before it hits my Outlook.

britchicknyc
08-27-2007, 01:37 PM
This is great to hear! Thank you both so much!

This is a great, informative and friendly place!

britchicknyc
08-29-2007, 09:32 AM
Has anyone here actually bought their BB's from newegg.com ?

britchicknyc
08-31-2007, 08:46 AM
Is there any real advantage/disadvantage from buying directly from AT&T?

ezrunner
08-31-2007, 10:10 AM
depending on the age of your hatmail you may be grandfathered with pop3 newer accts do not get this service unless it is a plus acct

ezrunner
08-31-2007, 10:11 AM
your discount may not be as great. If you can hold off ATT is getting 8310 25 sept. it will have GPS built in

ezrunner
08-31-2007, 10:13 AM
purchasing from ATT directly in a Corp store youll find they are more willing to help you. buying from online retail they may not be as helpful as you didnt see fit to buy from the to begin with silly but thats how it seems to work

britchicknyc
08-31-2007, 10:59 AM
Thanks EZRUNNER. I guess that makes sense, since they made less money from you. Still, a customer is a customer.

I'm not sure I need GPS... this is just for my personal use. I have a Sat. Nav. system in my car. What other advantages are there to the GPS?

britchicknyc
09-04-2007, 10:30 AM
I bought the Curve from newegg.com on friday night. So glad I did, as it went from free on friday to $99 on sat. So I did well. Can't wait to get it and play! thanks for all the help.