PDA

View Full Version : My new 7250!!!

dhyeremian
05-29-2005, 02:40 AM
Hello all. First time poster here. I'd been recently agonizing over which phone or phone/pda combo to step up to and today I took the plunge with a 7250 from Verizon.

Used to have one of the blue versions from my previous employer only for email. So I'm familiar with BB's.

It was a tough choice--almost decided to go with a basic phone and get a Dell Axim for the pda functions--but decided finally that I couldn't do without the e-mail functions and wanted everything simply integrated into one unit.

Any tips on what software to install on this bad boy?

Thanks!

NJBlackBerry
05-29-2005, 07:13 AM
Welcome and enjoy your new BlackBerry. Here is a thread about everyone's favorite BB software - http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=316&highlight=killer+software

Good luck!

dkmadrid
05-31-2005, 12:02 PM
[QUOTE=dhyeremian]Hello all. First time poster here. I'd been recently agonizing over which phone or phone/pda combo to step up to and today I took the plunge with a 7250 from Verizon.[QUOTE]

Welcome! I have the same phone/carrier and love it! Hope it works out the same for you.

searly
05-31-2005, 04:03 PM
I have been looking at some of input people have listed and it is all great info. However, I am a bit slow when it comes to actually integrating the software that some have recommended, ie, bbweather, bblight and all the rest. I do not know how to download using desktop manager or using my bb. I have tried to go over the air and I get an error message that says :HTTP error 404. I really want to utilize some of the 3rd party software but need a little hand holding. Can anyone help. I have a 7250 from Verizon. Thanks in advance for your help.

dkmadrid
06-01-2005, 09:52 AM
I have been looking at some of input people have listed and it is all great info. However, I am a bit slow when it comes to actually integrating the software that some have recommended, ie, bbweather, bblight and all the rest. I do not know how to download using desktop manager or using my bb. I have tried to go over the air and I get an error message that says :HTTP error 404. I really want to utilize some of the 3rd party software but need a little hand holding. Can anyone help. I have a 7250 from Verizon. Thanks in advance for your help.

I don't have any experience downloading and installing the software packages you listed, unfortunately. I am currently using MiniSafe (for password and PIN databasing and protection), Berry 411 (for 411 service), and PocketDay (just adds an all around cool layer). I know that in all these cases there were OTA (over the air) download addresses that you can get from the creator's website or from the mighty, mighty BlackBerry Forum (look in Aftermarket Software and find the applicable thread).

dhyeremian
06-01-2005, 01:25 PM
It's only been a few days, but now I wonder how I got along without it! I must admit, it takes some getting used to navigating the device and using the features efficiently.

I too am having problems downloading programs. I feel like I need a CS degree to use anything that needs to be plugged in...

dkmadrid
06-01-2005, 02:29 PM
Any specifics we can help you with (possibly)?

dhyeremian
06-02-2005, 12:47 AM
Now that you ask, yes. I have no idea how to download software onto the BB. For example, I just downloaded the Pocket Express trial for BB. i get a zip file on my desktop that has 4 files in it, one ending in .alx, the rest are .cod. I tried using the BB desktop software application loader, but it does not recognize any of these as "Blackberry applications" so it does not load them.

How else do you get an app onto the BB????

Thanks!

Mark Rejhon
06-02-2005, 12:51 AM
Now that you ask, yes. I have no idea how to download software onto the BB. For example, I just downloaded the Pocket Express trial for BB. i get a zip file on my desktop that has 4 files in it, one ending in .alx, the rest are .cod. I tried using the BB desktop software application loader, but it does not recognize any of these as "Blackberry applications" so it does not load them.

How else do you get an app onto the BB????

Thanks!There are two methods to install software on your BlackBerry.

1. If you see "OTA" or "over-the-air" or ".jad files" that's a web address you need to type into the BlackBerry Browser. That's a wireless download directly to your BlackBerry.

2. If you see "BlackBerry Desktop Installer" or ".cod/.alx files", that's an installation via your computer to your BlackBerry over the USB cable. You must unzip ALL .cod/.alx files into the same directory use Application loader and point to the .alx files (and NOT the .cod file) when you are given the option to add new applications and browse the disk to find the application to add to your BlackBerry.

dkmadrid
06-02-2005, 09:32 AM
There are two methods to install software on your BlackBerry.

1. If you see "OTA" or "over-the-air" or ".jad files" that's a web address you need to type into the BlackBerry Browser. That's a wireless download directly to your BlackBerry.

2. If you see "BlackBerry Desktop Installer" or ".cod/.alx files", that's an installation via your computer to your BlackBerry over the USB cable. You must unzip ALL .cod/.alx files into the same directory use Application loader and point to the .alx files (and NOT the .cod file) when you are given the option to add new applications and browse the disk to find the application to add to your BlackBerry.

Couldn't have said it any better!!