PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Charger for 8830

ApacheIndian
08-29-2007, 09:13 PM
I'm looking for a desktop charger like my old Moto Q had -- it held and charged the device and had an extra slot in the back to charge an additional battery. I've looked around and haven't had any luck finding something similar for the 8830...

1) Does one like this exist?

2) If not how do y'all charge your extra battery?

profuse thanks

jeremyckitching
08-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I have seen these before, and have one for my 8700g. There is one out there. I am on my BB and can't recall.

Dubdub
08-29-2007, 09:30 PM
I'm looking for a desktop charger like my old Moto Q had -- it held and charged the device and had an extra slot in the back to charge an additional battery. I've looked around and haven't had any luck finding something similar for the 8830...

1) Does one like this exist?

2) If not how do y'all charge your extra battery?

profuse thanks

Charger for the 88xx series
BlackBerry Power Station & extra battery charger >> BlackBerry Charger Stations >> BlackBerry Chargers & Cables >> BBerry (http://www.bberry.com/content/accessories/5-100--2789.htm)

Cradle/Charger fro the 87xx series
Amazon.com: blackberry cradle charger (http://www.amazon.com/tag/blackberry%20cradle%20charger)

x14
08-29-2007, 09:31 PM
BlackBerry Accessories Store - Product Detail (http://tinyurl.com/3cncee)

ApacheIndian
08-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Awesome -- I had glossed over that one b/c it looked kind of big so i assumed it was for a car dash or something like that. It is a bit bulky for my taste though -- may take away somewhat from my otherwise sleek 8830 -- for those of you who use the standard desktop stand, how do you charge an extra battery? Or do you? thanks

ApacheIndian
08-30-2007, 11:29 PM
I found one. Check eBay item # 160152453939...

Charges and syncs my 8830 AND charges my extra battery simultaneously. Non OEM but I'm cool with that as long as it works. 16 bucks shipped... can't beat that.

I'll let y'all know how it works out.

jeffabcc
08-31-2007, 09:58 AM
BlackBerry Accessories Store - Product Detail (http://tinyurl.com/3cncee)

I have been interested in this charger since day one of the 8830's release. It has never been actually available. It seems that every week, RIM pushes back the available date. It's now listed as 9/17.

ka7gzr
08-31-2007, 02:38 PM
I have the RIM OEM desktop charger for the 8800. These are readily available through non Rim sources. RIM is supplying the 3rd party sellers- that’s why they are never in stock.
It's a great device- small and charges a spare battery and my 665 BB Bluetooth. It also has a zero force connector that utilizes the small connectors on the left side of the 8800 series. It does not provide a mini USB connector so if you need to connect to the desktop you will need to connect manually. The battery charger is removable for connection to to USB port for charging when on travel.
Like all RIM devices it is well engineered, compact and compliments the 8800 well.
Jim

celly
09-01-2007, 08:03 PM
I scored one of these, eBay # 270160687609. Actually well made for aftermarket. Only thing I don't like about it is that it activates voice activated dialling every time you dock it. I just quickly cancel it and that's that. Minor inconvenience.

celly
09-01-2007, 08:04 PM
I have been interested in this charger since day one of the 8830's release. It has never been actually available. It seems that every week, RIM pushes back the available date. It's now listed as 9/17.

I'll probably get one if it's ever released. They seem to have them for other models, so I'm not sure what gives.

ApacheIndian
09-13-2007, 05:51 PM
So this aftermarket non-OEM one I got off eBay for $16 is THE BOMB... charges and syncs my BB while simultaneously charging my spare battery... EXACTLY what I was looking for, works perfectly.

Highly recommended! (y)

bjack56
09-14-2007, 01:00 AM
I'm waiting for one off Ebay as well (item # 180150777706)
I'll post up what I think after it arrives.

wangta01
09-15-2007, 04:33 AM
I have the RIM OEM desktop charger for the 8800. These are readily available through non Rim sources. RIM is supplying the 3rd party sellers- that’s why they are never in stock.
It's a great device- small and charges a spare battery and my 665 BB Bluetooth. It also has a zero force connector that utilizes the small connectors on the left side of the 8800 series. It does not provide a mini USB connector so if you need to connect to the desktop you will need to connect manually. The battery charger is removable for connection to to USB port for charging when on travel.
Like all RIM devices it is well engineered, compact and compliments the 8800 well.
Jim

Jim - I'm interested in getting one of these - Can you upload a pic?

AllYourBase
09-18-2007, 06:08 PM
I like that one that is made by RIM but it doesn't look like anything is plugged into the power/usb port. How exactly does it charge the phone? Does it use those two little copper contacts mid way up the left side?

Also, we got Fosman chargers at work but they only work with the USB connection. Mine will not charge at all when plugged into the wall. Anyone else have trouble with them?

celly
09-19-2007, 12:00 AM
The OEM model is finally available. Ordered one yesterday and got the FEDEX tracking # this evening. The eBay one has been great so far. It's going to stay in my office with the OEM one for home use.

John Clark
09-19-2007, 12:14 AM
I like that one that is made by RIM but it doesn't look like anything is plugged into the power/usb port. How exactly does it charge the phone? Does it use those two little copper contacts mid way up the left side?

Also, we got Fosman chargers at work but they only work with the USB connection. Mine will not charge at all when plugged into the wall. Anyone else have trouble with them?

Yes, the OEM charger uses the two contacts on the side to charge.

Not all wall/car USB chargers will work. I'm not familiar with the Fosman charger, though.

celly
09-20-2007, 10:47 PM
Got my OEM charging station. I'm very impressed. Isn't nearly as bulky as it looks in the photos. I like the way it "displays" the BB too. I was checking my voicemails tonight on speaker and it holds it in a nice, user friendly position. The portable battery charger box is great too (I already had one, but super convenient to charge on this stand). Also has a spot for the BB Bluetooth headset to charge. Haven't tested it yet. Like someone else said, it is of very high quality. If I could only change one thing, it would be the power cord. It's not removable.

I'm pleased with it.

John Clark
09-20-2007, 10:49 PM
I have one for the Pearl and those are my sentiments exactly. I like mine.

wangta01
09-21-2007, 12:29 AM
Yo guys, could you throw up some pictures!??! I have never seen one in person, and am interested to see what it looks like "loaded up" (with battery charger, plantronics headset charging, etc)

wangta01
09-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Buump!

masmusic
09-22-2007, 12:27 PM
It seems many of the chargers only charge the phone in the cradle if hooked up to the USB connection. I'm mostly interested in charging this in the cradle from an AC outlet. Here is one on Amazon. See if anyone can decipher this claim. I think it is the same thing. Note the very bottom of the description.

Here is the link (if I'm allowed to post them yet):
Amazon.com: Blackberry 8800 8830 USB Twin Cradle Desktop Charger w/ Extra Battery Slot: Cell Phones & Service (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QJ6A54/ref=nosim/?tag=INSERT_CPC_TRACKING_CODE&creative=380333&creativeASIN=B000QJ6A54&linkCode=asn)

Product Description
Specifically designed for your Cingular Blackberry 8800. It comes with everything you need to synchronize and charge your Cingular Blackberry 8800 to your computer. Also includes an A/C adapter cable for quicker charging time! Perfect for home, office, or frequent secondary locations. Portable Design - Convenient for travelers and business users. USB data cable & AC Adapter included Phone and battery not included. USB cable sync & charge phone ONLY AC adapter charge 2nd battery ONLY CE and FCC approved with RoHS standard

ka7gzr
09-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Masmusic,
I don't think that this device uses the contacts for charging like the OEM one does. It's hard to say because the view is from other side but the description indicates it's via USB.
The OEM one does not include a USB interface so it can't sync unless you provide an external USB cable. The OEM version does allow an external USB connector to be hooked up.
Jim

BlackbeerryMogul
10-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Here's a cradle i found on the net. I was thinking of buying one, please let me know what you think of the cradle and if you guys have had any experiences with this website.

Blackberry 8800 8820 8830 USB Sync and Charge Desktop Cradle (http://www.talkietech.com/bl8888usbsya.html)

greggebhardt
10-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Jim

I have wanted one for a while.

Question. What holds the device against the two contacts on the side? Does the device just slip straight down into the device?

Also how hard is it to remove from the device?

John Clark
10-07-2007, 05:49 PM
Greg, that one uses USB for charging and can be used to connect the device to your PC.

greggebhardt
10-08-2007, 05:45 AM
Oooops. I am looking for the OEM that just charges using the side contacts. BUT what something that is easy to get out of the holder when making or receiving calls. Maybe they do not make such a device.

rjansen3
10-08-2007, 11:52 AM
I am interested in this too, thinking about an extra battery as well

celly
10-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Oooops. I am looking for the OEM that just charges using the side contacts. BUT what something that is easy to get out of the holder when making or receiving calls. Maybe they do not make such a device.

It's dead easy to get the BB in and out of the OEM charger in a split second. I also have one of the aftermarket ones shown in this thread (connects via the USB port). My knock on it is that it always sets off my hands-free calling with it contacts the button on the left hand side. It is a bit more work to get the unit in and out of the charger, but not that difficult. For $20, it's a decent charger, but I much prefer the OEM setup even if if it doesn't utilize USB for sync processes. I just use the regular cord for that if needed.

ApacheIndian
10-08-2007, 07:35 PM
My knock on it is that it always sets off my hands-free calling with it contacts the button on the left hand side.

You know you can turn that button off right? I had the same problem with that button constantly accidentaly getting depressed all the time until someone very helpful on these boards told me how to turn that button off -- problem solved!