PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Electron? [Probably Real!]

robhawley
05-30-2005, 07:30 AM
Anyone heard anything about this?

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=641623&page=6&pp=15

ScOObydoo
05-30-2005, 12:03 PM
Oh wow... It doesn't even look like a mockup...

I'll take 2 please.

It looks like they took the 7100x and put it in a regular form factor, WITH a normal keyboard. Interesting...

iRoninTMO
05-31-2005, 09:23 AM
Well, actually, that's a pretty close mockup to the one I've seen. It's slated for a Q3 launch this year, at least on T-Mobile's network, although to be honest with you, the way our launch timetables have been slipping, I just hope to have it out in time for the xmas holiday shopping season.

I know nothing of this alleged RAZRberry however, but the Electron looks pretty damn close.

a

mrogers
06-06-2005, 06:55 PM
It's "Electron", somebody misspelled on that graphic.

http://www.bbhub.com/2005/05/29/is-this-a-photo-of-the-newest-blackberry/

And I think I just wet myself...assuming it has EDGE. I'll take several.

Mark Rejhon
06-06-2005, 10:01 PM
Very interesting!

I hope that the keyboard is still very thumb-touch-typeable!

blkberryboy
06-07-2005, 06:51 AM
Well, actually, that's a pretty close mockup to the one I've seen. It's slated for a Q3 launch this year, at least on T-Mobile's network

I hate to ask a stupid question, but didn't T-Mo just launch the 7290. Would they really launch a BB that "replaces" the 7290. I think it looks extremely cool but it just seems a little strange to release the 7290 and the replacement all in the same year?

What ever just my $.02

?7290?
06-07-2005, 10:00 AM
Why did I have to read this post. I was all set to get a 7290, now this rumor? Sheesh!

chuy
06-07-2005, 10:53 AM
engadget.com has a couple articles about the supposed "RAZRberry." thesy're usually pretty close on the money. but it says for release "mid-2005" and we're already mid-2005. who knows?

as for the "Electron," blackberrycool.com has been known to follow rumors fairly true-to-form, and they have a good bit of info on this one.

hope they don't turn out to just be rumors.

lunchboxfett
06-08-2005, 09:10 AM
I hate to ask a stupid question, but didn't T-Mo just launch the 7290. Would they really launch a BB that "replaces" the 7290. I think it looks extremely cool but it just seems a little strange to release the 7290 and the replacement all in the same year?

What ever just my $.02
T-Mobile may have just launched the device this year but Cingular/ATTWS had it last year.

blkberryboy
06-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Lunchboxfett,
I realize that, but I was refering to the third post where ironn mentioned it for T-Mo. I should have been more specific. ;-)

Mark Rejhon
06-08-2005, 02:06 PM

What ever just my $.02The 7290 actually came out late last year. I don't think it'll be retired yet, but basically the 7290 now becomes the replacement for 7230/7280 ... and the Electron becomes the replacement for 7290.

headtailgrep
06-14-2005, 11:03 AM
My Rogers contacts indicate there is a '7200' coming that is just like the 7100 except red, with qwerty keyboard..

mrogers
06-14-2005, 04:33 PM
So if it has a querty keyboard, then what part of it is just like the 7100?

finch
06-14-2005, 05:15 PM
Does that not maake it a 7290? I keep hearing talk of an 8000 series of devices...
My Rogers contacts indicate there is a '7200' coming that is just like the 7100 except red, with qwerty keyboard..

Mark Rejhon
06-14-2005, 10:59 PM
Let me make a guess: BlackBerry 8200 Series.

guinda35
06-15-2005, 07:42 AM
Boy it looks really cool. I can't wait to get my hands on one. I love my 7290, got it right after it came out, but this one, if it handles as good as the 7290...it'll be a very merry Christmas (unless it does come out in the 3d quarter).

rsun
06-15-2005, 06:49 PM
I hope they can make the BlackBerry faster, I just feel all my BlackBerries are too slow for me. Does anybody have any dimensions of this device and how does it compare to the 7100t?

Soapm
06-15-2005, 08:47 PM
I hope they can make the BlackBerry faster, I just feel all my BlackBerries are too slow for me. Does anybody have any dimensions of this device and how does it compare to the 7100t?

My problem is using the bottom keys... The way I hold my Berry is I set the bottom end on my two ring fingers, lay the back on my next two fingers then stabilize the top with my two index fingers. This leaves my thumbs to type. My paws are chubby (I'm about 5'8" and 300lbs) and it is hard for me to hit any keys outside the E, D, X and I, K, M rows. Hitting the space or caps button sometimes flips the BB out of my hands.

Just my observations, if they put the earpiece at the bottom of the phone that will allow the screen and buttons to be moved upward a bit thereby making it easier to type on the bottom and outside rows. This would also move the ESC button away from my big thumb (it would be on the finger side while talking) so I can stop hanging up on people. Also, because I am black, I have to put grease in my hair. Currently this leaves a greasy film on the screen. Moving the earpiece to the other end would solve that also.

iRoninTMO
06-16-2005, 06:50 PM
Well I'm not high enough in the company to tell you why we would show this listed in our Q3/Q4 handset lineup, but I've got a few guesses.
1.) UMTS
2.) HSDPA
We have neither, and will not have the spectrum for either until at least late 2006, early 2007. Asuming we have the spectrum then, a network rollout for something like that will take the company a year/2 years to do. I'm not basing this on other companies 3G rollout, but simply the difficulty T-Mobile's having with rolling out EDGE. It's been on the menu for a while, and compared to a UMTS conversion, it's relatively easy. Given a lackluster purchases at Auction 58, I don't see the spectrum there this year, given the sustained growth rates.

I think EDGE is going to be something that we hang our hats on for a while anyways. For the most part, EDGE will provide data throughput rates to satisfy most anyways. Remember bandwidth consumption is only part of your network speed, latency also figures into it as well. The EDGE network is capable of sending relatively large packets, but because it's based on a timed syncronicity between the handset and the tower, latency can't be fixed. You need a code syncroncized (preferabely a wideband code division multiple access... they hired me cuz I knew what all the acronyms meant ;) )

Anyhoo, got off on a rant there, EDGE is big for T-Mobile, and its customer base, because frankly 80% of the people will be fine with EDGE speeds, and that's good cuz they're probably going to be stuck with it for a long time. An EDGE Blackberry that comes out on a brand new EDGE network will help drive EDGE adoption as well as increased data revenue and at least curb the churn to other carriers for higher speed options. T-Mobile missed the boat on EDGE, and has got to get devices out NOW to remain competitive.

corey@12mile
06-18-2005, 07:55 AM
Both the RazrBerry and Electron are both very real. The Electron will have a 300Mhz processor and 64Megs of RAM, possibly 128. The RazrBerry has been in the hands of the uppers at RIM who have told their employees to make sure the Electron gets to market before the RazrBerry.

Right now there are 6 Electrons in existence and the UI is being created as we speak. Even better is this... The current ARM processors in the Blackberry's run anywhere from 40 to 50Mhz - this draws 5 milliwatts of power. This new 300 Mhz processor, which is made by IBM, on draws 1.5 milliwatts of power. As well, the screen on the Electron will put the 7100 screen and the Treo650 screen to shame...

cd.

mrogers
06-18-2005, 01:36 PM
Both the RazrBerry and Electron are both very real. The Electron will have a 300Mhz processor and 64Megs of RAM, possibly 128. The RazrBerry has been in the hands of the uppers at RIM who have told their employees to make sure the Electron gets to market before the RazrBerry.

Right now there are 6 Electrons in existence and the UI is being created as we speak. Even better is this... The current ARM processors in the Blackberry's run anywhere from 40 to 50Mhz - this draws 5 milliwatts of power. This new 300 Mhz processor, which is made by IBM, on draws 1.5 milliwatts of power. As well, the screen on the Electron will put the 7100 screen and the Treo650 screen to shame...

cd.

Oooooh, I want one so bad! Faster processor, better screen, lower power consumption, EDGE....do you happen to know the resolution of the screen? Is it getting higher? And if the RIM execs want this out to market fast, how long does that usually mean? Think we might see it by the fall?

MobileRC
06-18-2005, 07:18 PM
holy geez...drool

Mess
06-18-2005, 09:48 PM
I've been looking to upgrade my 7280 to a 7290, but now i'll just wait for the Electron.

corey@12mile
06-19-2005, 05:39 PM
mrogers,

I don't know the resolution of the screen. The electron, 82XX something will be out to market Q4 this year with TMO, with Rogers coming most likely Q1 2006.

The reason the Electron has got the push on, is because the RIM execs apparently have had the Razrberry in their hands and were so impressed by it that the want to get some Electrons on the market before the Razrberry gets out.

Here's something else for people to keep in mind as well. RIM will not be producing software for handhelds with less then 32megs of RAM come Q1 2006. They will still support all handhelds though.

cd.

mrogers
06-20-2005, 02:13 PM
Hmmm...TMo and Rogers...what about Cingular? I would hope they'd be getting it about the same time. Cingular is many things, but slow to get phones it usually is not. Especially with such a large subscriber base, I would think they'd want it out there as soon as any other carrier.

corey@12mile
06-20-2005, 09:44 PM
How long did it take Cingular to get the 7100?

mc187
06-21-2005, 02:34 AM
hi guys, just want to let everybody know that the production of electron will start this year in aug to sep. there is many samples made, ive played around with one and all i got to say is wowww.

cant wait to get my own.

corey@12mile
06-21-2005, 12:20 PM
What's the wow part? and how did you get to play around with one? There are not many samples, in fact there are only 6 is existance right now. There is not a fully functional OS for the handheld yet. The prototype for the handheld OS only runs in full debugging mode at 100mhz currently, which makes it about the same speed as the current 7290.

The production of the electron will not start until a commitment is made from a carrier so your timing is a load of BS.

mc187, I think you are full of it.

mrogers
06-21-2005, 12:23 PM
How long did it take Cingular to get the 7100?

Who was one of the first companies to have the 7290? Cingular.

How long did it take T-Mobile to get the 7290? Forever.

So I guess the answer is who the heck knows :D I guess it is just wishful thinking on my part, trying to find a reason for Cingular to get it first.

Dawg
06-21-2005, 12:39 PM
Wow corey a little tough on the guy arent you? how do you get your information maybe he has the same inside information maybe he works for RIM you never know who is who on a forum. What's the wow part? and how did you get to play around with one? There are not many samples, in fact there are only 6 is existance right now. There is not a fully functional OS for the handheld yet. The prototype for the handheld OS only runs in full debugging mode at 100mhz currently, which makes it about the same speed as the current 7290.

The production of the electron will not start until a commitment is made from a carrier so your timing is a load of BS.

mc187, I think you are full of it.

beedo
06-21-2005, 01:20 PM
T-Mobile is the largest provider of BlackBerry in the world. Before the merger of AT&T/Cingular, T-Mobile sold the most BlackBerry devices in the US. RIM is going to give priority on new devices to T-Mobile over Cingular every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

mrogers
06-21-2005, 01:24 PM
Then explain the 7290. Why it took T-Mobile months to get it after Cingular. In that case, your all-encompassing statement is wrong. Not trying to be argumentative just for the sake of it, but I am trying to say that there's no definable pattern here.

corey@12mile
06-21-2005, 03:33 PM
Wow corey a little tough on the guy arent you? how do you get your information maybe he has the same inside information maybe he works for RIM you never know who is who on a forum.

Well sure... except for a simple fact. What this guy is saying is not true. If he does work for RIM he's not allowed to talk about it. Anyone who works for RIM will never initiate a conversation or straight up give out facts about new products. It's highly frowned upon.

The only way to get facts out of RIM is to ask specific questions to the people who know. There aren't that many people who really know about the Electron at RIM yet... There are even fewer people who have had it in their hand.

The only way this guy, with all 3 of his posts would have this in his hand is to work for RIM, in which case he would never have posted that here to begin with.

I am not being rough, but this guy is out and out lying about there being several versions of the electron and having one in his hand.

cd.

udontknowjack
06-21-2005, 03:51 PM
OK, here is the carrier scoop.
The 7290 and 7100 were release at the same time. Cingular got exclusivity on the 7290 for 90 days while T-Mobile got exclusivity on the 7100 for 90 days. They are the two biggest carriers for RIM so that is why they got those first. Once the 90 days was up then they relesed their own versions of the others. T-Mobile got the 7100s over Cingular because they commited to like 250,000 devices or some unbelievable number and then sold them all in no time.

That is the Rhyme or reason. It is always about Money and who pays the most to RIM for what.

Dawg
06-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Corey I didnt say he did work for RIM I said maybe he did, But I asked where you got your information that maybe you shared same contacts and you didnt elaborate either.

corey@12mile
06-21-2005, 10:04 PM
Corey I didnt say he did work for RIM I said maybe he did, But I asked where you got your information that maybe you shared same contacts and you didnt elaborate either.

I know exactly what you said. I also know the corporate environment at RIM very well. RIM employees do not give out information like you or I would, which is how I know this guy isn't a RIM employee. The electron has never left the RIM buildings except in transport from Waterloo to Mississauga.

I get my information from a number of people I know who work at RIM, and from a number of people I know at Rogers. Some of the Rogers people volunteer information, but nobody at RIM has ever volunteered 'breaking news' information.

The electron is shrouded in secrecy right now, for obvious reasons.

cd.

Dawg
06-22-2005, 05:11 AM
LOL Corey Make up your mind do the People at RIM give out information or dont they

Quote: If he does work for RIM he's not allowed to talk about it

Quote: I get my information from a number of people I know who work at RIM

and btw I really dont care I was just busting your balls a bit lol

corey@12mile
06-22-2005, 08:00 AM
I absolutely agree, but what I said, and I though was quite clear, was that people at RIM will never initiate a conversation and start giving out facts.

To just say...

hi guys, just want to let everybody know that the production of electron will start this year in aug to sep. there is many samples made, ive played around with one and all i got to say is wowww.

is not something a RIM employee would do. The way I found out about this was...

Me> Is this electron thing real?
Friend> Yes
Me> Can I have one?
Friend> No
Me> Much faster than current blackberries?
Friend> Yes
Me> How much faster?
Friend> 300mhz
Me> ARM Processor?
Friend> No
Me> Who makes processor?
Friend> IBM
Me> How's the screen?
Friend> Amazing, will put treo's to shame
Me> Can I see one?
Friend> Look X cubicles down.

This is pretty much the way it goes... You have to know someone real well, you have to have their trust, and you have to ask the right questions. The little blurb is pretty much how it went to begin with. I ended up getting a few more questions answered afterwards because I know which questions to ask.

cd.

nskgti
06-23-2005, 09:20 AM
I hate to say it, but you have no clue what you are talking about... There was never plans for the Electron to have UMTS. There is no reason to. Yes, the electron will have EDGE. The HSDPA rollout is not being delayed till late 2006 early 2007. They are in the process of testing/rolling out in a number of cities right now... They will be close to their 15-20 markets. They may not have all 20, but they will be close. There is plenty of spectrum in most markets to roll out HSDPA.

There will eventually be an HSDPA blackberry, but it won't be the next release. Upon talking with some people at RIM, they say the EDGE blackberry is as fast as an EV-DO enabled blackberry due to processor limitations. Addtionally blackberries usually send very small packets (ie 2kb-6kb). Sure the whole dial up networking thing would be nice, but it isn't RIM's highest priority.

Well I'm not high enough in the company to tell you why we would show this listed in our Q3/Q4 handset lineup, but I've got a few guesses.
1.) UMTS
2.) HSDPA
We have neither, and will not have the spectrum for either until at least late 2006, early 2007. Asuming we have the spectrum then, a network rollout for something like that will take the company a year/2 years to do. I'm not basing this on other companies 3G rollout, but simply the difficulty T-Mobile's having with rolling out EDGE. It's been on the menu for a while, and compared to a UMTS conversion, it's relatively easy. Given a lackluster purchases at Auction 58, I don't see the spectrum there this year, given the sustained growth rates.

I think EDGE is going to be something that we hang our hats on for a while anyways. For the most part, EDGE will provide data throughput rates to satisfy most anyways. Remember bandwidth consumption is only part of your network speed, latency also figures into it as well. The EDGE network is capable of sending relatively large packets, but because it's based on a timed syncronicity between the handset and the tower, latency can't be fixed. You need a code syncroncized (preferabely a wideband code division multiple access... they hired me cuz I knew what all the acronyms meant ;) )

Anyhoo, got off on a rant there, EDGE is big for T-Mobile, and its customer base, because frankly 80% of the people will be fine with EDGE speeds, and that's good cuz they're probably going to be stuck with it for a long time. An EDGE Blackberry that comes out on a brand new EDGE network will help drive EDGE adoption as well as increased data revenue and at least curb the churn to other carriers for higher speed options. T-Mobile missed the boat on EDGE, and has got to get devices out NOW to remain competitive.

Mark Rejhon
06-23-2005, 04:29 PM
Me> How much faster?
Friend> 300mhz
Me> ARM Processor?
Friend> No
Me> Who makes processor?
Friend> IBM
Me> How's the screen?
Friend> Amazing, will put treo's to shameThat's some quite exclusive information you're posting. I hope RIM isn't putting out a SWAT team at your house :oops:

Very exciting information indeed. The 7250 has a 250Mhz ARM9 type CPU, but I do know that different model CPU's have very different performance behaviour (one 200 Mhz CPU can be much faster than another 300 Mhz CPU). Since a fair part of BlackBerry is written in Java anyway (with only the low level bits in a lower level language), the CPU differences doesn't really matter to BlackBerry software.

It does sound like they are finally switching to a different screen resolution width than 240. Maybe 480x360 perhaps?

Can't wait to see one for the first time this year. (I know if I have seen one, I'd definitely have to keep my mouth sealed :wink: )

barjohn
06-23-2005, 10:49 PM
I sure hope it is real and comes available soon. Given IBM's strong support for JAVA their processor and supporting JRM software it might provide a big step up in performance thereby supporting features such as independent speech recognition and higher screen resolutions plus a browser that supports frames.

dolo
07-05-2005, 06:38 PM
The Electron info/comments have been far and few lately. Any updates on this device?

Regards,
dolo

darkmark
07-14-2005, 06:49 AM
Just come across this thread and loved the way corey made some fabulously blatant value judgements about someone he knows nothing about or their background.

Trust me, there are ways to see RIM devices that are in the pipeline before anyone else without working for RIM or even one of the carriers.

I know you'll probably flame me as I've not had as many posts as you but I have been to the corporate offices, seen the production lines, spoken with the senior management and touched and played with new devices (and software) that most people will only be able to speculate about.

However, I do have an NDA in place and will not talk specifics all I will say is not everything you read and hear is untrue and not everyone who is new (or just doesn't post a lot) is full of it!

For info, if you doubt that I would have the pull get that that level of access (and yes, I sat in with mike lazaridis talking about what they were doing and what I'd like to see them doing), I set and manage the global mobility strategy for one of the largest retailers in the world (and I don't expect the american audience to know who we are because it's not walmart but if you live in europe or asia you'll know that every little helps) and have an estate of 700+ blackberries spread across exchange and domino so have some experience.

I would just say that sometime during Q3 and Q4 I'm going to make my directorship very happy with some new stuff that'll blow away anything they've seen and that should make the world look up and see blackberry in a new and better way.

Nuff said

Mark

corey@12mile
07-14-2005, 07:22 AM
Ya... and I am sure when you went to RIM's office's in Waterloo you saw the handheld OS too right? Because it's being developed in Mississauga. I know, I have seen it first hand. But what do I know right? You fly over the pond once in a blue moon, you have talked with Mike, big deal... I talk with several RIM employees on a daily basis. But you're right, obviously I don't know what I am talking about.

What did you forget to mention... ummm that fact that even though they build prototypes, they don't go into production until a carrier commits to a number of units. But let me guess, you deal with all the carriers too and you get the inside scoop from the manufacturers and the carriers... ok... you know everything.

cd.

barjohn
07-14-2005, 09:47 AM
Hey guys this is a rumors thread not a fact thread. There is no need to attack anyone's credebility. As we get more and more pieces a picture of what is fact will eventually emerge and who was BSing will become obvious. This thread should be fun sort of like being intelligence analysts where we gather disparate pieces of data and try to speculate on what it means.

Just my thoughts.

mrogers
07-14-2005, 12:16 PM
Chill out corey. I think most of us appreciate the information you provide, but you're coming off as a drama queen who is unwilling to share the spotlight with anyone else. Other people can find out information too, you know. I see stuff from the mobile manufacturers that I'm not supposed to see, but the gadget guy in our company knows I think the new stuff is cool and will just happen to leave a test unit out on his desk when I drop by and will tell me a few tidbits when I ask about it. There's so many ways people could gain this information, whether or not they're supposed to, and just because you don't quite understand how they came about it doesn't mean you need to be a jerk and trash them. Most of the time people have been giving you the benefit of the doubt; I think it's time you did the same.

corey@12mile
07-14-2005, 12:57 PM
It's not about me having to chill out, or about me needing any spotlight. It's about the *fact* that I know there is not a complete OS for the electron yet. So with that said, how can people play with one? There are circles for icons with some text underneath them, it runs in debug mode with a million and one pop up messages with register values.

Tell me this, if you were to see something like this with your own eyes, and then have someone tell you they have been playing with one, what would you say?

It's not about understanding how people get this information, it's about truths and facts. How is anyone supposed to play with the electron when it has no production ready OS?

cd.

Soapm
07-14-2005, 04:30 PM
Tell me this, if you were to see something like this with your own eyes, and then have someone tell you they have been playing with one, what would you say?.

Reading this from the sidelines, I would say you described the one you saw and he described the one he saw. Since there is no way for either of you to provide proof then we really have to just leave it at that.

BarJohn made a really good point that I think got over looked, were talking about rumors not facts.

bperkins
07-14-2005, 07:49 PM
Sure it is a rumors forum, but the information that is posted needs to be creditable if at all possible. I visit this one because I believe that some of those posting have some real information. If I had the inside information I too would be very upset if someone was speaking out of their ass.

Because Apple is so secretive I follow those rumor sites that generally have the most creditable information (Think Secret, Appleinsider, Lately Mac Rumors seems to be posting recycled stories from both TS and AI). And do not waste my time with those that have no clue ie Mac OS Rumors (Not to be confused with MacRumors).

p_dizzo
07-14-2005, 10:03 PM
so could this have possibly anything to do with the "e" in the new model that may come this fall, the "7130e"? i heard of this model as part of the lineup for this fall for CDMA.. and kinda wondered what the "e" stood for, thought maybe it's just the late 7100 series for CDMA... but perhaps it stands for "electron"? (please, no lectures on how ridiculous it may sound for CDMA to have a step up on GSM models such as this.. i'm just going by what i've heard that's somewhat solid to come out for CDMA this year)

barjohn
07-14-2005, 11:57 PM
For a manufacturer to develop a new piece of hardare that requires a completely new OS is highly unlikely though not impossible. Hence, I would suspect that any new Blackberry will use a varient of the 4.0 OS. It may have additional features and capabilities not present in the current OS release but generally is likely to use the curent OS release as the base or foundation from which to advance. Therefore, someone picking up a new unit and not being familiar with the newer functionality could try various functions with which he or she is familiar and conclude that the device works whereas someone that knows about the newer features and tries to excersize the new features that are undoubtdely buggy concludes that it is buggy and doesn't work. It's the classic case of two blind men descibing an elephant with one at each end. Neither is wrong and neither is right.

Yes, reputable and accurate rumors are always best but even those can be wrong as companies can chage their mind even after official announcements. Look at the Motorola MPX300 for a perfect example. Rumors should be taken for waht they are until you can walk in and buy one.

darkmark
07-15-2005, 05:51 AM
Bravo John.

Once again Corey, I never did, or even meant to imply that you didn't know anything. What I was pointing out is that there are other people who do get to see stuff and touch it and play with it who just may not post as often as you.

Time to calm down and wait for later in the year while people are still able to add what they find out?

BTW, does anyone want to buy an MPX300. 1 previous careful owner but it does have a test OS... :)

corey@12mile
07-15-2005, 07:05 AM
BarJohn,

Brand new CPU, brand new OS testing. *Everything* as far as code is concerned is different.

Either way... We are lining up an insiders RIM tour that I have invited Guess to join. What we see... who knows, but it'll be a little more technical than the common RIM tour, which is fairly interesting on its own.

Once that is done I will let Guess post all the goodies, maybe you people will think of him as credible. Maybe we can ever snap some pictures... who knows. I think our tour might even include the 2 new building in the RIM complex...

cd.

barjohn
07-15-2005, 09:10 AM
I look forward to seeing and hearing about what you all get to peek at. If they have a new OS, I hope it is based on Linux so that we have some hope that it will be reasonably stable when released. It generally takes quite a few iterations of an OS to get the bugs out. Look at 4.0 and the bugs still present in it. MS PPC software in now in its third or fourth iteration and is finally getting reasonably stable. I wonder what this will mean for third party developers that have taken the risk to develop applications for the current OS and now must port to a new OS. With a market of only 3 million users this is a substantial risk factor. In any case i look forward to the new rumors!

corey@12mile
07-15-2005, 10:57 AM
I look forward to seeing and hearing about what you all get to peek at. If they have a new OS, I hope it is based on Linux so that we have some hope that it will be reasonably stable when released. It generally takes quite a few iterations of an OS to get the bugs out. Look at 4.0 and the bugs still present in it. MS PPC software in now in its third or fourth iteration and is finally getting reasonably stable. I wonder what this will mean for third party developers that have taken the risk to develop applications for the current OS and now must port to a new OS. With a market of only 3 million users this is a substantial risk factor. In any case i look forward to the new rumors!

Linux as it stands is just the kernel, which is what RIM has to write for the new CPU in the electron. The OS for the electron will for the most part be simular looking to the current OS. I don't find the existing OS's from RIM to be buggy at all, there are a few bugs in the apps, but that's it. I have never had mine crash because of a RIM app, only 3rd party apps.

We will definately report back once we have done the tour, that's for sure.

cd.

bperkins
07-15-2005, 11:10 AM
Corey.....I really hope you two can get some further information about this Electron.

pdizzo I for one would love to see this since I am a CDMA user. Unfortunately, I have heard that the 7130 is supposed to the the 7100 CDMA model.

Soapm
07-15-2005, 12:02 PM
With a market of only 3 million users this is a substantial risk factor. In any case i look forward to the new rumors!

Interesting point, I too am interested if RIM sticks to pleasing the GOV/Corp market or will they turn their focus any at Joe consumer... All is a risk at this point.

Mark Rejhon
07-15-2005, 12:23 PM
I certainly wouldn't mind becoming a beta tester for one of these EDGE BlackBerry units.

I've beta tested devices for other companies (mainly home theater industry), and stuck to an NDA keeping silent about it until release.

barjohn
07-15-2005, 07:40 PM
I didn't mean to imply that the RIM OS was buggy to the point of instability, i.e. crashing. That doesn't mean that it is bug free either. Just follow the threads on the 7100 on this forum for many examples. I just know from many years of experience it takes a long time and many users to find all of the bugs in a system. Vendors generally fail to use bleeding edgers like many of us to test their products preferring the safety of corporate customers and select beta testers that may or may not ring out the product adequately.

jibi
07-17-2005, 11:45 AM
hey corey, get me in on the tour. i'll fly up from america for it. :-)

corey@12mile
07-18-2005, 07:38 AM
The tour hasn't been fully finalized, but it was tough enough to get a spot in there for Guess... getting any more would be really pushing my luck...

fwiw, Mark, I highly doubt that I would even get to beta the electron. RIM certainly won't do it, and it's almost as tough getting it from Rogers.

cd.

Soapm
07-18-2005, 10:03 AM
You could sew on an extra pocket for Jibi to hide in.

@<hidden> Start practicing, "I THINK IM INVISIBLE THEREFORE I AM INVISIBLE".

bb_tech
07-18-2005, 10:12 AM
It's not about me having to chill out, or about me needing any spotlight. It's about the *fact* that I know there is not a complete OS for the electron yet. So with that said, how can people play with one? There are circles for icons with some text underneath them, it runs in debug mode with a million and one pop up messages with register values.

cd.

This is so far from the truth. This device is being beta tested internally right now. That is all I am going to say BUT there is a functioning OS on the device.

corey@12mile
07-19-2005, 07:41 AM
This is so far from the truth. This device is being beta tested internally right now. That is all I am going to say BUT there is a functioning OS on the device.

Then it's come within the last week to this point. I'll make a call later and find out how it's going.

cd.

dolo
07-19-2005, 03:49 PM
Then it's come within the last week to this point. I'll make a call later and find out how it's going.

cd.

Anyone know of additional product enhancements other then screen and minor innovations?

regards,
dolo

bb_tech
07-20-2005, 03:02 PM

cd.

Actually it has been in internal beta for 1 month now. Perhaps your "source" isn't as good as you thought after all.

jmj
07-20-2005, 03:09 PM
Actually it has been in internal beta for 1 month now. Perhaps your "source" isn't as good as you thought after all.

Any idea as to when it would be released to the public?

corey@12mile
07-20-2005, 03:42 PM

I think my source is fine... I think my eyes are ok too...

cd.

Dawg
07-20-2005, 04:05 PM
ooh I love pissing contests

XDS
07-20-2005, 05:47 PM
Wirelessly posted (7290: BlackBerry7290/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

One thing seems strange to me , the way that you suggest RIM employees speak to each other .

This so called RAZBerry And Ellectron could well infact be vapor , but I will say this there WILL deff. be an 8100 serries and 8200 serries BlackBerry !

Regards,

~

smokeyrd
07-21-2005, 05:47 AM
one thing ive noticed: as far as i know, cpus dont require a certain os to be run. they only require the proper kernel to understand the commands sent by an os. Therefore, if mac were to introduce an os compatible with the BB arcitecture, it would work. in true mac style, it wouldnt have an esc button, an address book, or a power off button, but other than that, it would work just fine. correct me if im wrong.

corey@12mile
07-21-2005, 07:18 AM
one thing ive noticed: as far as i know, cpus dont require a certain os to be run. they only require the proper kernel to understand the commands sent by an os. Therefore, if mac were to introduce an os compatible with the BB arcitecture, it would work. in true mac style, it wouldnt have an esc button, an address book, or a power off button, but other than that, it would work just fine. correct me if im wrong.

That's pretty much right and wrong at the same time... anyone can write an OS for any CPU provided they understand the way the cpu works, in that I mean registers, io, etc. But to write an OS for a device takes more than just knowledge of the CPU. You have to know about every piece of hardware in the device. You have to know how much memory there is, where to gain access to it, you have to know about the radio chips, you have to know about the display interface.

Sure it would be possible for someone else to write some code that would run on the blackberry, but with the security in place on them, it would be a very very difficult job. As well, the person would find it near impossible to write something that would use the relay and/or bes.

cd.

smokeyrd
07-21-2005, 02:23 PM
k...sounds about right...can be done, but is a total pain to do it...that sounds like so many things in my life...i can do it, i just dont want to invest the time/money/energy into the project

corey@12mile
07-21-2005, 03:50 PM
k...sounds about right...can be done, but is a total pain to do it...that sounds like so many things in my life...i can do it, i just dont want to invest the time/money/energy into the project

Amen to that! My life has been in overdrive since the late 90's and I don't see things stopping any time soon.

cd.

simpleSoft
07-26-2005, 12:16 AM
Here it is for real! The Moto Q windows Mobile 5...

Select MotoQ to see Flash demo (http://direct.motorola.com/ENS/nationalhome.asp?country=USA&language=ENS&Selectedtab=1#)

barjohn
07-26-2005, 01:03 AM
It sure looks to be a Blackberry killer to me! Notice the track wheel and escape key on th side and the BB keyboard layout. I am drooling drooling to get my hands on one of these. I'm afraid the Elektron will have to be something else to compete with this phone.

guinda35
07-26-2005, 08:08 PM
Does anyone know whether it'll have push email? Or what the Wiindows Mobile 5.0 software is like? It sure looks cool -- but looks can be deceiving. Any hard facts on why it would be a BB killer as barjohn states?

mrogers
07-26-2005, 08:32 PM
I don't care what else it has. It's not running the Blackberry OS. Simple, intuitive, stable...and I have spent more than enough time with mobile Windows devices to know that when it comes to my email, I want my Blackberry. Now, if that Motorola thing had Blackberry OS on it, and the correct Blackberry keyboard, I'd be all over it. But as it is, I'm looking forward to the Electron.

Speaking of which, those of you that have questions about the Razrberry, there are two or three threads about that already. Let's try to talk about it in those threads and keep the discussion in this thread to the Electron.

corey@12mile
07-27-2005, 07:05 AM
I would imagine the motoq would be supported through goodlink as well as whatever MS is getting ready to roll out. There have been rumours, but we all know how MS is with releasing stuff on time.

cd.

simpleSoft
07-28-2005, 03:58 PM
WM5 Exists currently on a select few phones...but until Exchange SP2 it's not a viable BB Killer....yet. Then testing and real world functionality will decide if it gets the moniker of BB Killer. My humble opinion.

dolo
08-06-2005, 01:40 AM
bringing this back on topic:

we have seen the razrberry (Q), the htc wizards, now treo 670 running wm5, the electron must leak somewhere!

although the "charm" at the time popped out of no where and went official very shortly there after...RIM folks are solid on their NDA's eh?

any additional insight please share!

regards,
dolo

vox
08-12-2005, 07:15 PM
How come there's nothing new? it's been a few weeks. Did that tour happen?

El Chino
08-13-2005, 06:34 AM
I just ran across these pics of the Razrberry on engadget. Seems like it runs on Windows mobile.

Check it out

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000577051874/

T-Roy
08-13-2005, 08:37 AM
I just ran across these pics of the Razrberry on engadget. Seems like it runs on Windows mobile.

Check it out

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000577051874/

There are a lot of Threads about that already...

paulmorley
08-13-2005, 09:05 AM
From my RIM source:Reliable The electron is already in Cingular's hands and WILL be sold by late October early November. Take it to the bank.

phrider
08-13-2005, 01:26 PM
Paul,

Does your source know when it might be in T-Mobile's hands?

Jack T. Chance
08-15-2005, 10:37 AM
Okay, that Electron is definitely the New Hotness! 8-)

I know it'll be awhile, but I can't wait for Nextel to get a version of that! ^_^

BBAdmin
08-15-2005, 11:03 AM
Lets pray it's 3G enabled, I'd love to have a BlackBerry with a faster browser on board, I recon I'd use the browser a lot more if it were faster.

mrogers
08-15-2005, 12:51 PM
Lets pray it's 3G enabled, I'd love to have a BlackBerry with a faster browser on board, I recon I'd use the browser a lot more if it were faster.

It has been said that it will indeed have EDGE high-speed data.

guinda35
08-15-2005, 02:20 PM
From my RIM source:Reliable The electron is already in Cingular's hands and WILL be sold by late October early November. Take it to the bank.
Thanks for making my day Paul. I waited and waited for the Cingular 7290, and I've fallen in love with it. But a Cingular Electron? Wow! I'll ditch my 7290 in a heartbeat for a younger, more stacked, and firmer, toy.

It stands to reason that RIM would rapidly keep improving their units, what with Microsoft, GoodLink, Moto, and the others yapping at its heels.

Dawg
08-15-2005, 03:40 PM
dont see it happeningOkay, that Electron is definitely the New Hotness! 8-)

I know it'll be awhile, but I can't wait for Nextel to get a version of that! ^_^

guinda35
08-15-2005, 04:30 PM
Why not Nextel Dawg? You've got some insider info to RIM or Nextel?

bperkins
08-17-2005, 01:06 PM
I would imagine that this BlackBerry would have a spearkerphone.....would it be the same one they have in the Nextel's? If so, how good are those now...Nextel users???

wibbly
08-18-2005, 05:21 AM
RIM folks are solid on their NDA's eh?

http://www.theregister.co.uk doesn't call them 'Lawsuits In Motion' for nothing, you know :smile:

W

corey@12mile
08-18-2005, 06:47 AM
I think the link wibbly wanted to post was www.theregister.co.uk

cd.

wibbly
08-18-2005, 07:08 AM
I did. Thanks. Now corrected ;-)

Eg

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/03/28/good_technology_settles_with_lawsuits/

Dr Scribble
09-01-2005, 12:24 AM
Electron

It is amazing and small, Dark Grey. Screen works pretty great in sun. The Beta version I saw is for CINGULAR. Fast as hell on browser upgrd Bluetooth, Keys are set further apart and shaped different than all previous versions. Its amazing and the design is very well thought out.

bperkins
09-01-2005, 07:55 AM
Come on don't leave us hanging....more details please. First, are you a BlackBerry user? Smaller than the current 7290...in what way? Is it thinner? Did you get a chance to type on it? How is it compared to 7290 model. Upgraded BT.....more options (OBEX, etc.) or just to 2.0?

jrsmooth
09-06-2005, 10:11 PM

I can also confirm this, I am an IT Manager for a federal agency, we have 2000+ Cingular BB running, I am a newbie here but I visit HoFo quite often (same screen name).

Last week I asked my Cingular account manager, see if she can bring me some new BBs, like the 7270, later I learned that the 7270 does not have GSM, only Wi-Fi. Well I was drunk so I didn't notice that from their website, but she did told me that Cingular is completing the tests on a BB with EDGE, and it will be release in Q4. She did not say what model nor she has a unit. I asked her if she can bring me a demo because I am shopping for at 100 units. She said she will get back to me.

I will, of course, keep you updated.

RMBlackBerry
09-19-2005, 05:04 PM
hey how come i cant see the pics on howardforums? is it cuz hf is messed up or something?

schlepers
09-21-2005, 10:59 AM
How much is it going to cost?