PDA

View Full Version : Sync with Outlook AND ACT!?

gullyboy
08-31-2007, 10:46 AM
Here's is my dilemma. I am on the BES with my company which uses Outlook. Now I also use ACT, and have not found a way to keep all three in synch. I think if there is a way for me to manually synch ACT to my blackberry, and then wirelessly to thru the BES this could work.

Any ideas?

GLComputing
10-05-2007, 04:08 AM
I use Handheld Contact (http://www.GLComputing.com.au/HHC) to sync ACT! to the Blackberry and the export to the BB address book which puts it in Exchange via the BES

Dubdub
10-05-2007, 06:31 AM
ISee my previous post. I am using Double Look from CompanionLink. DoubleLook for ACT! -- AddOnStore for ACT! (http://www.actaddons.com/products/2005/doublelook.asp)

It syncs Oultlook and ACT then I just sync the BB to Outlook.

johnfromphilly
10-05-2007, 07:56 AM
ISee my previous post. I am using Double Look from CompanionLink. DoubleLook for ACT! -- AddOnStore for ACT! (http://www.actaddons.com/products/2005/doublelook.asp)

It syncs Oultlook and ACT then I just sync the BB to Outlook.

Plus it is alot less expensive than HHC which is a bloated, expensive, program. HHC is good if you have multiple users making changes to one ACT database- an office worker adding an appointment for a salesperson on the road for instance-but for a single user it is way overpriced because it does more than you would need.

This is my opinion based on use of Companionlink and trial of HHC as an individual using ACT.

As a note: GLComputing promotes HHC as the answer to all problems with ACT- look at every one of their 10 posts except one they all say the same thing. Then go to the ACT forum and do a search for them- they all say the same thing- use HHC- which is fine- they like HHC but there is not alot of open mindedness there towards any other solution- to them HHC is the be all end all.
I did a search for "ACT" and GLComputing posted in 9 threads in one hour on his first day as a member- they said the same thing every time:
BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community - Search Results (http://www.blackberryforums.com/search.php?searchid=3774314)

Looks like spamming to me, if not, at best it is a company with an agenda beyond just helping forum members to find the best solution for their specific needs
----end of Rant

ezrunner
10-05-2007, 08:56 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Thanks guys!

I had a customer in a couple days ago looking for a solution to this very same problem, and now I have an answer! Just happened to stumble across it here! I love the BBF now I don't have to search!:)

alslsb
10-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Plus it is alot less expensive than HHC which is a bloated, expensive, program. HHC is good if you have multiple users making changes to one ACT database- an office worker adding an appointment for a salesperson on the road for instance-but for a single user it is way overpriced because it does more than you would need.

This is my opinion based on use of Companionlink and trial of HHC as an individual using ACT.

As a note: GLComputing promotes HHC as the answer to all problems with ACT- look at every one of their 10 posts except one they all say the same thing. Then go to the ACT forum and do a search for them- they all say the same thing- use HHC- which is fine- they like HHC but there is not alot of open mindedness there towards any other solution- to them HHC is the be all end all.
I did a search for "ACT" and GLComputing posted in 9 threads in one hour on his first day as a member- they said the same thing every time:
BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community - Search Results (http://www.blackberryforums.com/search.php?searchid=3774314)

Looks like spamming to me, if not, at best it is a company with an agenda beyond just helping forum members to find the best solution for their specific needs
----end of Rant

I concur with johnfromphilly's summary. HHC good for multiple salesmen on the road accessing a central database. Otherwise CompanionLink (which my firm uses)

GLComputing
10-05-2007, 11:48 AM

Just to explain... I've been supporting ACT! for just over 20 years and have tested most (if not all) of the PDA solutions. The reason I've become an advocate of HHC on the Blackberry is that it provides the most ACT! like experience.

CompanionLink is ok for some users (I used to use it), but I got a Blackberry for it's wireless sync and CL only provides that for Palm and Windows devices (last time I checked). Also, I like that calls, emails and other history and activities I do on my Blackberry sync back correctly to ACT!

Yes, it's biggest advantage is when you want more ACT! data (up to 76 fields and pull-downs) or you have multiple users and want to see or schedule activities for other users.

I realise that it may have been considered overkill, but I like to be able to offer some input into forums that I join, and ACT! is my expertise.

Hope that helps explain...

johnfromphilly
10-05-2007, 01:45 PM
[QUOTE=GLComputing;694159]Also, I like that calls, emails and other history and activities I do on my Blackberry sync back correctly to ACT!QUOTE]

This is all that HHC provided that I needed.

The one thing I am looking for in a BB PIM is the ability to link contacts with activities.

Agendus has said they are trying it-in a future change to the upcoming upgrade-maybe

Pocket Informant does not do it

Pocket Day says they are not adding it(they can inject but it will not sync)

Companionlink cannot do it without typing in "link:" then getting the contact's name exactly correct

ACT (Sage)will not be adding an "ACT for BB" program.

I figure someone has to pick up the ball eventually and figure a way to simply allow you to link contacts and activities and have it synch with ACT on the PC....until that day I wait and use CL as is.

GLComputing
10-05-2007, 02:09 PM
ACT (Sage)will not be adding an "ACT for BB" program.

Actually most of the Sage guys I know now use HHC... they have an app for the Palm, but they use HHC for Windows and Blackberry.

I figure someone has to pick up the ball eventually and figure a way to simply allow you to link contacts and activities and have it synch with ACT on the PC....until that day I wait and use CL as is.

The problem is that the BB PIM doesn't store data this way. Like most Handheld PIMs, they are designed to link easilly without Outlook - an address book and a calander without connection. So because of this, it requres a seperate application and sync servers... therefore, if you need the functions, you pay for the subscription.

Just for interest... other than the subscription, was there anything you didn't like about HHC?

johnfromphilly
10-05-2007, 02:40 PM
[QUOTE=GLComputing;694399]Actually most of the Sage guys I know now use HHC... they have an app for the Palm, but they use HHC for Windows and Blackberry.

I have had some talks with the people in development at Sage and that is how I found out they have no plans for an ACT for BB solution

The problem is that the BB PIM doesn't store data this way. Like most Handheld PIMs, they are designed to link easilly without Outlook - an address book and a calander without connection. So because of this, it requres a seperate application and sync servers... therefore, if you need the functions, you pay for the subscription.

This was my main problem with HHC- all I needed was this functionality and I did not see the benefits outweighing the cost-it would be good if they had a non wireless version that acheived this result and did not charge the monthly fee

Just for interest... other than the subscription, was there anything you didn't like about HHC?

It was not just the money(although that was the main thing obviously-considering my basic needs)- it was the program as a whole- I did not like working with it- I used the trial and tried to incorporate it into my work and it just gave me very little bang for the buck. I am a single user, as I mentioned before, the program was not built for me- I need another, more basic solution.

Todo Matrix allows injection of contacts, emails etc to create to-do's. It creates a combined to-do and contact. Separately, Companionlink allows you to write "link:" plus the contacts name and it will link the contact to an activity. I could see someone creating a solution that combines the two and injects the "link:" wording followed by the contact name automatically from the contact view and allow the creation of an activity.

I do not need HHC- I just need the one function of linking contacts and activities.

My apparent "dislike" for HHC probably comes from my frustration that everyone I have run into assotiated with HHC or Sage treats it as the be all and end all. That attitude makes me feel left out in the cold by a program (ACT) that I have supported and used for many years. HHC is not the best thing in the world and I wish people would open their eyes to it's shortcomings as being the solution to fit everyones needs.

GLComputing
10-06-2007, 04:32 AM
I have had some talks with the people in development at Sage and that is how I found out they have no plans for an ACT for BB solution

I speak to them regularly also .... they don't think they can improve on what's in HHC.

This was my main problem with HHC- all I needed was this functionality and I did not see the benefits outweighing the cost-it would be good if they had a non wireless version that acheived this result and did not charge the monthly fee

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of using Blackberry? I know the guys at J2x (makers of HHC) have considered doing a cable sync version for a single fee in the past, but there just wasn't enough interest from their target market to cover the development costs... Also, then they'd be charging for upgrades, now they can release new builds with new features on a regular basis without worrying about users needing to justify them

It was not just the money(although that was the main thing obviously-considering my basic needs)- it was the program as a whole- I did not like working with it- I used the trial and tried to incorporate it into my work and it just gave me very little bang for the buck.

What version of ACT!?
What version of HHC?
If it was version 1.x, it's a lot different with 2.x... now a single application rather than three seperate ones.

My apparent "dislike" for HHC probably comes from my frustration that everyone I have run into assotiated with HHC or Sage treats it as the be all and end all. That attitude makes me feel left out in the cold by a program (ACT) that I have supported and used for many years. HHC is not the best thing in the world and I wish people would open their eyes to it's shortcomings as being the solution to fit everyones needs.

The main "shortcomming" I ever hear from people is that they don't want to pay a subscription fee for the service. The other is volume. We've only managaed to get about 5000 contacts into HHC but some users insist they need 10-15K contacts on their smartphone - for this you'd need CL.

The other limitations of it that people comment on aren't answered by any other link to ACT! either: no groups, companies, secondary contacts, sales opportunities.

johnfromphilly
10-06-2007, 06:34 AM
GLComputing said:
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of using Blackberry

What use is wireless sync to me- this is the frustrating part- people do not understand- I need the BB for e-mail instantly but I do not care about wireless sync. I sync when I get back to the office. When I am traveling the BB is up to date when I get back and sync they are both up to date.

How does that "defeat the purpose" of a BB- I think you do not understand the true nature of what people like me do with ACT and their BB's. Which is why you try to shove HHC down everyones throat- It does not work for me- I need a better solution..for me(not you, not your buddies at HHC or Sage-ME)- sorry to break it to you.

GLComputing
10-06-2007, 07:25 AM
How does that "defeat the purpose" of a BB- I think you do not understand the true nature of what people like me do with ACT and their BB's. Which is why you try to shove HHC down everyones throat- It does not work for me- I need a better solution..for me(not you, not your buddies at HHC or Sage-ME)- sorry to break it to you.

Maybe I don't know what you do with your Blackberry, but most ACT! users need to have phone calls and emails made from the device linked to ACT!, they want their activities and histories linked to their contacts, and only HHC does this properly.

johnfromphilly
10-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Wirelessly posted (8700C: BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Maybe I don't know what you do with your Blackberry, but most ACT! users need to have phone calls and emails made from the device linked to ACT!, they want their activities and histories linked to their contacts, and only HHC does this properly.

Please see my post#8 above. This is what I am asking for-linking contacts and activities and having it sync with ACT on the pc. I know HHC does this but I don't like it for the reasons stated above. Jeez-I know HHC does this- I want something that does it without all the bloat and
Expense of HHC. I said exaxtly this in my post above---#8.
HHC is not the solution for me and that is that. I still am in need of a solution and I wait, hoping that someone develops what I need.

GLComputing
10-07-2007, 04:33 AM
HHC is not the solution for me and that is that. I still am in need of a solution and I wait, hoping that someone develops what I need.

I guess it just needs enough users who needed and were willing to pay for it, and who didn't want the other functions of HHC, then one of the add-on developers would be doing it.

I guess it's a very small group between CL and HHC that would make this a viable product