PDA

View Full Version : 8830 mass storage issue

chrisyng
09-03-2007, 02:01 AM
I've just noticed a bothersome issue with my 8830 when trying to transfer larger files (ie: movies) to my device's 2 gig micro SD card via USB..

The card is a Kingston 2gig Micro SD card.. I have tested the card using an sd adapter+card reader on 2 seperate computers and it works correctly..

I've also tried transfering the files with 2 diffrent computers and usb cables..

here's what happens.. I've turned on mass storage mode on the BB and connect it to my computer via usb.. The computer recognizes the BB and a few seconds later I have a new icon in "My Computer" that's titled "Blackberry" .. up to this point everything is fine.. I can browse the SD card and drop some smaller files into the directories.. however when I attempt to transfer a much larger file, the transfer stops halfway, in "My Computer" it nolonger says "Blackberry" but instead it says "removable media" ... Part of the way through the windows autorun feather kicks in and trys to scan and display the contents of the card .. needless to say I can not drag and drop files with any reliability.. I have also attempted to use the desktop manager - media manager to transfer my movies insted of just dragging and dropping.. but the same thing happens where halfway through the transfer everything just dies ...

I'm not entirely sure what item I should blame for this issue.. the Micro SD card I'm using or the BB itself? I've reseated the card several times and it still occures.. I have flashed the BB with the latest verizon firmware tto see if that would help, but it did not...

Any suggestions? or shoudl I return my BB to the place I purchased it and see if I can get it replaced?

rwfsr
09-03-2007, 02:44 AM
I used media manager to do those task when I encounted problems. It took longer but was successful.

RF

wibbly
09-03-2007, 03:56 AM
Hmm. Are you connected direct to the PC or vaia USB hub? If a hub, try connecting via a port right on the PC.

If you get the files on the card (via the card reader) can you get them back off the card to a PC with the card back in the BB?

I've had some USB issues with a 8300 I've not got completely to the bottom of. But these are failing OS upgrades, not card issues, and were resolved using a different PC.

Compatibility problems with cards and phones are not unknown. Maybe (if you have the possibility) try another MicroSD manufacturer's card.

rbm0307
09-04-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm experiencing exactly the same problem on my 8830 using exactly the same SD memory card as the OP. I'm using a Dell Latitude D620 for the transfer machine. This POS has many,many HW issues including USB connections related to Dell's implementation of USB. I tried the same large file transfers on my wife's IBM T42 with complete success so I would hasten a guess that the problems you are experiencing are related to the USB implementation in the PC not being wholly compatible with BB's. Obviously you've tried to isolate the problem by trying other computer HW so maybe the only solution is to use the microSD card in an external USB "All-in-one" reader like I do. It is cumbersome.

tricky_ott
09-04-2007, 02:06 PM
RIM creates their own USB drivers for their products. If you are using an older version of desktop mangler it will have older usb drivers that may not interact properly with newer devices. If you can try getting the latest DM and try again.

Caveat: If you are doing this on a work PC/laptop that needs usb access to other devices, you may want to talk to your IT department before upgrading.