PDA

View Full Version : not getting contacts, email on blackberry

fbruno
06-01-2005, 12:29 AM
i am a newbie to this. i have lotus notes and using a BES server. My connection settings are USB and I have the correct server in the Redirector settings. Maybe I dont understand yet the idea of the BB since I have been used to using a PDA. when i sync, i am freezing at the intellisync box "recovering 1 of 1 message". no change on the BB. I have tried to look at the faQ's and I am having trouble with them. Should I be getting email wirelessly? What about contact and calendar? what about deleting messages? shouldnt a deletion on the BB result in a deletion in my inbox of lotus notes. Sorry about all the newbie questions, but i didnt see this in the faq's. thanks in advance.

DarkWater
06-01-2005, 01:00 AM
You should be getting email wirelessly. You should also be able to have your calendar synchronized wirelessly. Contact sync is dependant on the version of the BES and handheld code. Both need to be at 4.0

Deletion should also be reconciled in your Inbox.

This is all of course assuming your admins set it all up properly.

fbruno
06-01-2005, 07:12 AM
thanks . sounds great. but can you tell me how to get all this (wireless, deletions etc) going . i don't think the BES is 4.0

DarkWater
06-01-2005, 12:21 PM
Well a number of things have to be done right. For instance..

You need to have an account added to the BES (I don't know how the Domino version works compared to the Exchange version)
Connect your handheld to your desktop and as long as you have desktop manager it should recognize that this is a new account and ask for an encryption key and you'd probably have to wait for the Enterprise Activation process.

In a perfect world that is really all you'd need to do. However if that is done and you still don't see it working properly, you should probably start poking at your admin team.

DarkWater
06-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Also, make sure your BlackBerry is provisioned properly with the carrier. If you don't have it provisioned to allow an Enterprise connection, then it'll never work.

fbruno
06-01-2005, 01:21 PM
Im not sure I know what you mean by that, Darkwater. Provisioned?

DarkWater
06-01-2005, 01:28 PM
When you get a BlackBerry, the carrier say.. Verizon.. sets up the services that you can access. If they don't include the service that allows access to a BES, then it'll never work.

fbruno
06-01-2005, 02:17 PM
In between our messages, I was investigating and it seems that Cingular had deactivated the account for some reason. looks like it is working fine now. thanks to all