PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 7.10

LunkHead
09-07-2007, 08:19 AM
For all you Ubuntu fans out there I would highly recommend upgrading to 7.10.... It's still Alpha but is amazingly rock solid and a huge improvement over previous versions! I am mucho impressed with this version!

rivviepop
09-07-2007, 12:23 PM
I read they're going to be rolling in the new "open" AMD/ATI drivers into this one, Mark Shuttleworth released some official blurb about being really pleased with AMD and wants to support their efforts. As an ATI owner/user I can only clap in support. :)

EDIT: news blurb link:
[Phoronix] Mark Shuttleworth Talks On ATI's New Linux Drivers (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=827&num=1)

EDIT 2: ok I got that wrong, he *wanted* to get it into 7.10 but technicalities are holding it back, it's going in the 8.0 something.

Spamdumpster
09-07-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm a Linux newbie - just loaded 7.04 on an old lap top on Wednesday night. How does one upgrade to 7.10? Do you have to reinstall the OS, or is there an upgrade patch that can be downloaded?

LunkHead
09-07-2007, 12:48 PM
It not avail yet for the upgrade... Once it is you can do it in several different ways... If you want it now you will need to download the beta version iso and burn it to disk....

You might want to wait a month until the official release is out if you are new to linux though...

Spamdumpster
09-07-2007, 01:05 PM
While we're on the topic of Ubuntu, have you any success in getting itunes to run in Ubuntu? I use itunes for airtunes, and there's really no other alternative. I installed Wine last night and tried to install itunes 4.6 and 4.7 (I had read that these might work), but I've had no success. Any suggestions?

LunkHead
09-07-2007, 01:21 PM
iTunes using Wine is very crippled and very buggy. That's if it even loads or works....

Use a native Linux program like one of these.....:

Comparison of iPod managers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_iPod_Managers#Linux)

You will need to find another place to download music though...

Inphektion
09-07-2007, 01:46 PM
I was hoping tribe 6 would come out. I'll just wait for the beta and then upgrade to final from that.

Spamdumpster
09-07-2007, 02:15 PM
iTunes using Wine is very crippled and very buggy. That's if it even loads or works....

Use a native Linux program like one of these.....:

Comparison of iPod managers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_iPod_Managers#Linux)

You will need to find another place to download music though...

Thanks for the info, although I'm looking for something that will stream music to airtunes -- I don't think any of the programs listed on that page do that.

rivviepop
09-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the info, although I'm looking for something that will stream music to airtunes -- I don't think any of the programs listed on that page do that.

Here ya go, I think this is what you're after:

http://raop-play.sourceforge.net/

LunkHead
09-08-2007, 10:49 AM
I was hoping tribe 6 would come out. I'll just wait for the beta and then upgrade to final from that.

Why wait??? It is very, very sable as it sits now... A few bugs here and there but nothing major! Love the beta gimp, evolution, and pidgin :)

Figment
09-09-2007, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the heads up, I just started setting up two servers with 7.04 but I'm going to try this version out first.

LunkHead
09-09-2007, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the heads up, I just started setting up two servers with 7.04 but I'm going to try this version out first.
I don't think I'd use 7.10 for a server yet... If you want a rock solid server use 6.06 LTS

rivviepop
09-09-2007, 11:01 AM

Hey, a second followup for you -- yesterday I was trying to transcode this movie off my digicam (so I could put on youtube, still haven't figured it out yet bleh) and I installed VLC. I think VLC will stream to your Airport via "Bonjour" services. Install VLC, go View -> Playlist, then in the Playlist window do Manage -> Services Discovery -> Bonjour.

I'd be interested to know if it works, let us know.

Figment
09-09-2007, 05:42 PM
I don't think I'd use 7.10 for a server yet... If you want a rock solid server use 6.06 LTS

I'll take you up on that advice, I go nutso whenever something new comes out and stability/security is most definitely priority with this.

*&))
10-04-2007, 05:57 PM
For all you Ubuntu fans out there I would highly recommend upgrading to 7.10.... It's still Alpha but is amazingly rock solid and a huge improvement over previous versions! I am mucho impressed with this version!

I complete agree, I have been using 7.04 on my laptop and had xp on another partion for work and i was not fully committed to 7.04 because i was have hardware issues and i am fearful of commitment (that a whole other issue in itself). But after using 7.10 for about a week and a half i found that it is even more sold it its Alpha stages then vista is as an official product. I now run 7.10 and a virtual machine with xp (and the only reasons i use xp now is to watch ABC TV show love that Gray's anatomy (the player does not support Linux what so ever still trying to get around this), and using Office 2007 which is required for a class that I'm taking)
I am really love this release i have never tried a flavor of Linux that installed with out a problem an had not one hardware issue, and this is even more so true for laptop installs.

If this is just the start to this product then look out this should go off well.

ArgonNJ
10-20-2007, 09:10 PM
Just installed the gold version of 7.10 on my Thinkpad. Nice improvement over Feisty.

greeneggsandham
10-20-2007, 10:25 PM
Hey, a second followup for you -- yesterday I was trying to transcode this movie off my digicam (so I could put on youtube, still haven't figured it out yet bleh) and I installed VLC. I think VLC will stream to your Airport via "Bonjour" services. Install VLC, go View -> Playlist, then in the Playlist window do Manage -> Services Discovery -> Bonjour.

I'd be interested to know if it works, let us know.

You run VLC on day to day? Been testing it off and on for several years. Dev is rapid but never been very stable for me. Also some various security related bumps along the way. Most recent stable release been good for you?

rjw3000
10-20-2007, 11:05 PM
Gonna download this and try it out using either the Live CD or put it on my computer using Virtual PC 2007.

rivviepop
10-20-2007, 11:48 PM
You run VLC on day to day? Been testing it off and on for several years. Dev is rapid but never been very stable for me. Also some various security related bumps along the way. Most recent stable release been good for you?

Not really, I haven't gotten into VLC just because, I guess. I use good old mplayer for video stuff and xmms for my audio needs, tried and true. It's one of those things where you've been using it for so long (maybe because it was the first thing out back when?) that it fits like an old glove. They may not be all that whiz-bang compared to others I've seen but I can watch all my movies and listen to all my music. :)

LunkHead
10-21-2007, 06:18 PM
mplayer here as well.... Never use VLC...

On another note... I am back to 6.06 (old school) I loved 7.10 but 6.06 is just so rock solid I keep finding my way back to it....

I thought about giving suse 10.3 a whirl but it's still using yast.... :rolleyes:

LunkHead
10-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Yes I am baaaad.... Pathetic yast or not, I am DL'in opensuse 10.3 now and will give er a run.....

Oye...... Ya I will probably end back up at Ubuntu 6.06 but the urge to try this new baby out is killing me, yast or not....

Spankypoo
10-23-2007, 11:40 PM
Throwing my $0.02 in:

VLC - Nowhere near as stable as mplayer. Too bad, because it does a few things really well.

Gutsy - Not everyone's upgrade went smoothly: Gutsy upgrade failure - Ubuntu Forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3563383) Just be advised before upgrading, backing up is an especially good idea if you're planning on it.

LunkHead
10-24-2007, 03:20 PM
I never do an upgrade... Back up to flash drive and install fresh..

Spankypoo
10-25-2007, 01:38 AM
I never do an upgrade... Back up to flash drive and install fresh..It's only because we've used Windows that we see that as anything but a completely ridiculous course of action.

I'm not knocking you for doing it (I obviously should have), but other linux distros have nailed the upgrade process. Ubuntu will catch up, but it's not there yet.

LunkHead
10-25-2007, 07:33 AM
It's only because we've used Windows that we see that as anything but a completely ridiculous course of action.

I'm not knocking you for doing it (I obviously should have), but other linux distros have nailed the upgrade process. Ubuntu will catch up, but it's not there yet.

Really... I'd ask you to please do tell but this is a BlackBerry Forum and I am relly not interested in hearing your opinions anymore.... \\Add another to my block list.... Oye....

Kris

LunkHead
10-30-2007, 09:10 PM
Yes I am baaaad.... Pathetic yast or not, I am DL'in opensuse 10.3 now and will give er a run.....

Oye...... Ya I will probably end back up at Ubuntu 6.06 but the urge to try this new baby out is killing me, yast or not....

Update on openSUSE 10.3

Very professional looking! One of the most professional looking distros out there hands down!

Yast has greatly improved... While it's still yast, it's at least usable now for the basic admin functions... I am using SMART to manage packages ect as it is night and day ahead of yast (still)

Overall.... I really like this release, save yast.... I will have to stick with it for a bit and see how it ends up...

Everything working out of the box so to speak... Wi-Fi, sound, mouse pad, and printer on my Sony laptop....

Did I say it's a very nice and very professional looking distro???

Kris

blakeatl
11-30-2007, 07:26 PM
Hey Lunk,

What all would you need to backup and then how would you put it back?

LunkHead
12-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Here is an easy backup for Ubuntu:

Only Ubuntu Linux: Backup and Restore Ubuntu System using Sbackup (http://onlyubuntu.blogspot.com/2007/03/backup-and-restore-ubuntu-system-using.html)

I usually just copy all my important files (documents, photos, images ect) to a USB flash drive then restore them to the new distro...

Kris

rivviepop
12-01-2007, 04:53 PM
My solution is two part - make /home/ it's own partition, and keep everything in my home directory. All my upgrades simply wipe out all other partitions except home, and I backup home to USB hard drives.

LunkHead
12-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Done that a few times myself... I usually just transfer everything over to USB stick and format HD...

I usually make the following partitions:

/ [10GB]
swap [1GB]
/home [the rest of the HD]

rivviepop
12-01-2007, 09:57 PM
I usually make the following partitions:

/ [10GB]
swap [1GB]
/home [the rest of the HD]

Exactly what I do too, but my swap is 2gb because I need the space for laptop suspend/hibernate; linux writes out the running data to the swap partition then somehow marks it so that when the machine boots back up it sees the suspend/hiberbate signature and resumes.

(the first partition on mine is also WindowsXP dualboot eating up disk space, ugh)