PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry Redirector and the ETP.DAT files

grendle
09-07-2007, 01:45 PM
First time caller (but you knew that).

I'm trying to find out if the 15 to 20 etp.dat e-mails my blackberry users are receiving is normal. I understand the concept of the Redirector, but I thought the security e-mails were sent only as they (PC and BB) talked for the first time. Are these security negotiations a constant thing?

Also, shouldn't the BB process them? I have these Redirector messages hanging out in user's inboxes for long periods of time.

8830's on the Sprint Network, please help

JRSCCivic98
09-07-2007, 03:15 PM
If the device is setup for both BIS and Redirector you will get these.

grendle
09-07-2007, 03:52 PM
So I should go to the Sprint Website and stop the BIS service and that will take care of it?

Thanks for the tip, I love this forum!

JRSCCivic98
09-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Yeah, don't use both. If you have no need for "live sync" of calendar or address book I would just get rid of Redirector (it's stupid anyway because you have to leave it running all the time) and use BIS alone. That will give you email with wireless sync for that and you can plug in to Desktop Manager and sync via cable for Calendar, Tasks, Contacts on a daily or whenever basis, based on your needs. Must smoother and less "resource intensive"... (i.e. you can turn off your office PC at night and not worry about not getting your email if it accidentally get's turned off or if you close our Redirector.)

BTW, RIM is having some BIS issues today so if things don't work right with email coming to your BB it's probably because of that. Just FYI.

grendle
09-07-2007, 05:06 PM
It’s clear to me that there are not many redirector fans found here. I originally had the BIS configured, and then we migrated to Exchange yesterday. I forgot to stop the BIS service and immediately installed the redirector to try and get the BB's to sync up. See, with Exchange hitting my pop3 accounts every 15 minutes, the BIS never got a chance to pull down any messages.

These PC's run all night anyway so redirector is my ticket to getting them e-mails until I get the Blackberry Enterprise Server Express up and running and get my MX record pointed to my Exchange server, so I can stop relying on POP3 to get my mail to my Exchange Server.

JRSCCivic98
09-07-2007, 05:29 PM
so I can stop relying on POP3 to get my mail to my Exchange Server.

And that's the root of all the hassle. Wish I knew that as part of the whole "disclosure process" of your original problem. Now I know why you're going around your elbow to get to... Good luck with the miagration.