PDA

View Full Version : Taking my 8700g to Canada, eh?

M. Yass
09-09-2007, 01:47 AM
By way of background, I am leaving this Bush-league country for the True North Strong And Free within the next month or two. I currently own an unlocked 8700g which I have used my Rogers prepaid SIM card in with no difficulties. When I get to Vancouver, I am going to want to sign up with a Canadian GSM carrier and continue to use my CrackBerry.

Theoretically all should be well, but experience has taught me that these deals are fraught with peril and inevitably wind up with some nasty surprises. What can I expect and how can I avert them?

Also, what's the best (spell that "cheapest") Canadian carrier? I've heard Rogers is good but that Fido is cheaper. Also, I understand that I won't get the unlimited long distance I've come to know and love up in Canada. Is that correct?

John Clark
09-09-2007, 02:35 AM
You won't get the cheap unlimited data access either....good luck! Rogers and Fido are your only options.

Also, be careful, as this forum doesn't allow political discussion and your first line is a little......well, on the edge of political.

Perfect Storm
09-09-2007, 08:44 AM
There are some Rogers plans with unlimited long distance. Your best bet is to go through a dealer, rather than Rogers themselves. They usually have better deals available.

BTW Rogers owns Fido these days, so there's usually not an advantage to one or the other.

shona67
09-09-2007, 09:03 AM
By way of background, I am leaving this Bush-league country for the True North Strong And Free within the next month or two. I currently own an unlocked 8700g which I have used my Rogers prepaid SIM card in with no difficulties. When I get to Vancouver, I am going to want to sign up with a Canadian GSM carrier and continue to use my CrackBerry.

Theoretically all should be well, but experience has taught me that these deals are fraught with peril and inevitably wind up with some nasty surprises. What can I expect and how can I avert them?

Also, what's the best (spell that "cheapest") Canadian carrier? I've heard Rogers is good but that Fido is cheaper. Also, I understand that I won't get the unlimited long distance I've come to know and love up in Canada. Is that correct?

It will be much cheaper if you add T-Mobile's BlackBerry Unlimited International E-mail for only $19.99 a month.