PDA

View Full Version : re: BIS to access Corp Email

dave080373
09-09-2007, 10:35 AM
I know this has been talked about a lot, but I just wanted to verify. I have an employer that has a policy that they will not purchase BB's for anyone below director level. If I were to purchase a BB and plan, and set up BIS email to connect to my Corp Webmail, not their BES, is there anything that could prevent me from doing this? I don't want to do it, then find out it will not work. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

John Clark
09-09-2007, 10:45 AM
If you aren't connected to a BES then there isn't anything they can do to your BB. However, in many cases you're not able to access the corporate webmail via the BB, but if they've allowed it, then go for it.

x14
09-09-2007, 06:19 PM
As long as the webmail is accessible on the Internet, is OWA or iNotes, and not using two form factor authtentication like SecurID.

BTW: Some admins have been blocking BIS from accessing their webmail.

MikeyLikesIt
09-11-2007, 08:16 PM
I had to browbeat my company into letting me get a BB and had to do it by backdooring it because the BB is a quad band and I needed all 4 bands in the places I travel to. Now 4 of us including the Manager who was so slow to agree to it have them and I have threatened to give mine back. Once they know you have it they expect you to respond 24/7. He (the manager) has been caught on vacation across the ocean using his BB.

MikeyMike

alslsb
09-11-2007, 09:34 PM
We use owana and secureId cards. Can access it only through Mini-Opera. The normal Blackberry browser doesn't work

Cyclops
09-11-2007, 09:43 PM
I know this has been talked about a lot, but I just wanted to verify. I have an employer that has a policy that they will not purchase BB's for anyone below director level. If I were to purchase a BB and plan, and set up BIS email to connect to my Corp Webmail, not their BES, is there anything that could prevent me from doing this? I don't want to do it, then find out it will not work. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

If your employer uses Microsoft Exchange and you access your email at work using outlook, then a simple way is to create a rule to forward your Corp email to your Blackberry email address. If your employer is using Microsoft Exchange, then the forwarding rule is placed on the server, so your Outlook doesn't have be to open to work. That's what I did when I worked at my old job, worked great.

dave080373
09-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Yeah...but the kicker is that my company has a rule set to not allow auto forwarding to SMTP addresses......

09-11-2007, 10:34 PM
The whole BIS and corporate email deal can be quite challenging. Our IT folks shut down the autoforward and they kept turning the bis access on and off. quite frustrating. I gave into the man and got on the BES, but it hasn't been too bad.

I would talk to them (IT) to see if anyone else is using BIS. good way to check.

hdawg
09-14-2007, 09:41 PM

You should first ask if they'll even allow you to connect a personal device to the BES. Then you should ask what IT Policy settings and other corporate policies are in place regarding use. If you don't like em, don't do it.