PDA

View Full Version : Do i need BIS in order to use BES?

jxlarrea
09-10-2007, 04:47 AM
Hello everyone,

Excuse my ignorance, ive own my first blackberry (8300) for 3 weeks and im wondering whats the deal with the BIS and BES thing is.

Im located in Ecuador and my operator is named Porta. The BIS service costs around $30/month and only allows e-mail and http traffic, which sucks because i need to use several apps that require TCP to work.

I've read about these hosted BES solutions, some of them being as cheap as $10/month and provide MDS which will let me have TCP/IP traffic in my device. Question: Do i need to have BIS in order to use a hosted BES solution? If i suscribe to a hosted BES, do i still need to keep paying the $30/month for the BIS?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Galvatron
09-10-2007, 05:10 AM
wel you company woul be using the BES an suplying it you can use tcp/ip porgrams on your handheld opra mini dos that you jut need your carriers tcp protocols but ive never used BES myself

JSanders
09-10-2007, 06:14 AM
if you have BES, BIS is part of it.

Dubdub
09-10-2007, 06:28 AM
I can't speak for your carrier, but most likely you will need a BES plan, which is generally more expensive than the BIS. You would also pay the hosted BES plan on top of the BES cost.