PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about ditching the BBPearl

lefty
09-11-2007, 02:06 PM
Let me start off by saying, I really loved this phone when I first got it. The cool apps, the integration with the interweb (sic), the ease of use (especially the pearl ball). But lately, the number of frustrations surrounding the phone are too much for me. It seems like having a flawless, working blackberry is too much to ask.

SMS wont resend by themselves, MMS come in blank half the time, reception and call clarity are sub par even with strong signal strength...

Maybe it's just time for me to get a new phone.

John Clark
09-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Multitap doubles letters, bluetooth GPS isn't reliable, emails and call logs still disappear even with over 30Mb free memory.....

I feel your pain. I'm going to try the 8320-when it comes out.

lefty
09-11-2007, 02:14 PM
well let me know how it goes.. I'm seriously considering jumping ship completely and just getting a nokia n95

tgeekb
09-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Mmmmmm. Mine has worked flawlessly. Waiting for the Pearl 2.

dwp1975
09-11-2007, 03:50 PM
my pearl has been pretty good so far, when I first got it about a month ago with .64 it was sluggish, then I upgraded the OS to .107 and it's been flawless since aside from the spotty T-mobile coverage, but that is just due to T-mobile not having good signal stretch where I live. (y)

Thatzmister2u
09-11-2007, 04:13 PM
Multitap doubles letters, bluetooth GPS isn't reliable, emails and call logs still disappear even with over 30Mb free memory.....

I feel your pain. I'm going to try the 8320-when it comes out.

JC Say it isn't so!!!! Remember the good old days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead
Took the bite against my better judgment.....

Hi, my name is Kris and I have an addiction.... LOL

Off to sell the 8100....

Traitor!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Clark TMo Pearl 4.2.1.107 BES/BIS

Please do a Search first!
d_fisher's Handy Tool: JL_CMDER
Want Answers? Check the BlackBerryFAQ's

secrecyguy
09-11-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:

Off to sell the 8100....

Traitor!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8300 Curve is not bad. I am going to get it myself and than get rid of my 8100 Pearl.

John Clark
09-11-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:

Off to sell the 8100....

Traitor!!!

Yeah, I remember! The issues with the Pearl are starting to get to me. Maybe 4.3 will come out before I get the 8320.

rambo47
09-11-2007, 08:50 PM
well let me know how it goes.. I'm seriously considering jumping ship completely and just getting a nokia n95

The trick is to get an N95 that's tight, not loose and slack in the slider mechanism. I have one that I'm hanging onto because it's so well built. Really cool phone, but I prefer Blackberries. I just love the BB OS. Symbian S60 is neat, and pretty stable as well, but the BB's integration between email, calendar, and contacts is addictive. I guess I'm a combination Blackberry/Nokia fanboi :)

Thatzmister2u
09-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Yeah, I remember! The issues with the Pearl are starting to get to me. Maybe 4.3 will come out before I get the 8320.

I can totally understand wanting to switch. I can't imagine losing my data. I think if it happened even once I would be off to find something else! How in the world did you lose data with that much free memory?!

Well happy shopping! :)

John Clark
09-12-2007, 11:17 AM
RIM/TeleNav are telling me I have some application that is not "handling" the memory right and not releasing it when it's done with it. I use BBMessenger a lot and when I opened TeleNav yesterday it hourglassed (JVM was deleting messages in the background to free up memory.)

I think it's either BBMessenger or BBWeather (hard to believe it's that) in combination with TeleNav.

Thatzmister2u
09-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Well I use BB Messenger but not ALL the time. I don't have Telenav or BB Weather. My memory is at 26mb on boot and usually hovers around 20-22. It will be interesting to see if you do get the new device if you run into the issue running those apps.

John Clark
09-12-2007, 11:58 AM
I have a conversation going all the time with several people. I notice that the conversation will truncate a ways up, so the device is not keeping all that data. I'm not sure what it does with it, though.

Thatzmister2u
09-12-2007, 01:11 PM
That is bizare!! You are TOO much user for that poor device John! Ha!

John Clark
09-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Maybe so....TeleNav is an awesome app when it works. It doesn't always connect to the BT GPS (RIM OS issue-it did great in 4.2.0) and it uses a lot of memory and has deleted my emails twice now when using it. I just don't think I'm asking it to do too much.

nuopus
09-12-2007, 03:49 PM
I was actually thinking of ditching my Pearl for another phone myself. Im thinking either the 8820 or the AT&T Tilt that is coming out soon. Im kind of scared of moving back to a WM phone, but everyone I have talked to has said Microsoft fixed lots of their problems in the new WM6. Im still debating it though ... im hoping someone talks me out of it. :-)

ameagle987
09-12-2007, 04:14 PM
Say if you take the Tmobile SIM card from a BB and put it in a WM phone, will the data features still work? It'll be nice to be able to switch phones w/o a separate WM data plan.

BBJunkie
09-13-2007, 05:58 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Just moved over to the curve today....let's see what happens....but it was time for the change...