PDA

View Full Version : New to smartphones and the blackberry

NewYorkBoy
09-13-2007, 01:39 PM
hi ...... i'm currently switching to AT&T in the next few months. I'm thinking about getting a blackberry. When I saw iphone i became curious. This will be my first time getting a smartphone and i'm new. What I want to do is mostly have the internet when I travel. I also do texting and check my email every so often. Another thing is I use instant messaging every single day ( This is the one thing I have to have on my phone ) I can't figure out what is right for me at this point. Any suggestions or comments will be appriciated thanx alot for helping me out.

BBFreak
09-13-2007, 02:09 PM
What's your budget? Blackberry would definately do everything you just mentioned and more.

test54
09-13-2007, 02:13 PM
any blackberry will do, but if you want to use the internet alot then i would go with the biggest screen The 8300 or 8800 are both good, just try them in store and see which "feels" better
difference is the 8300 has camera and 8800 has built in GPS.

I would not recommend iphone because you need instant messaging which it does not have.

nuopus
09-13-2007, 02:29 PM
hi ...... i'm currently switching to AT&T in the next few months. I'm thinking about getting a blackberry. When I saw iphone i became curious. This will be my first time getting a smartphone and i'm new. What I want to do is mostly have the internet when I travel. I also do texting and check my email every so often. Another thing is I use instant messaging every single day ( This is the one thing I have to have on my phone ) I can't figure out what is right for me at this point. Any suggestions or comments will be appriciated thanx alot for helping me out.

BlackBerry suits you perfectly then. The iPhone is extremely limited. The no keyboard thing sucks, so dont expect to type long emails or do loads of sms text messaging. iPhone doesn't have MMS at all, so picture messages are not possible. I guess there were idiots on the design team who thought nobody uses MMS.

If you want messaging (email,sms,mms,im) and Internet then get a BlackBerry. If you want an awesome music player, then get an iPhone.

MERK350Z
09-13-2007, 03:22 PM
BlackBerry suits you perfectly then. The iPhone is extremely limited. The no keyboard thing sucks, so dont expect to type long emails or do loads of sms text messaging. iPhone doesn't have MMS at all, so picture messages are not possible. I guess there were idiots on the design team who thought nobody uses MMS.

If you want messaging (email,sms,mms,im) and Internet then get a BlackBerry. If you want an awesome music player, then get an iPhone.
i have to agree with nuoupus i went out and got the iphone 8gig when it came out thought it might be a cool toy but to be honest comeing from the 8800 to an i phone it was a serious shock to my system . the iphone is really limited in so many ways. the blackberry is just set up to do everything you said the way its suppose to be done. its a tool not a toy, and it wont let you down if you do alot of textmessageing do not get the iphone it really slows you down because of the touch screen. took me a while to be good at it. the internet is not what its all cracked up to be on it. viewing documents on the iphone can not be done . remember the iphone is made for the customer who just wants to be entertained the blackberry is for the customer who need to communcate with everyone and needs it done fast

test54
09-13-2007, 03:40 PM
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/94645-blackberry-8300-iphone.html

my suggestion for you is the 8300. but if you want more info just search in here. The iphone as stated doesnt do mms or IM , the choice is yours about which model but the Curve(8300) is a good one.

I'm as happy with 8800 as i am with iPhone, as i have no need for mms or IM as I use email or sms.
This is BBforums so the views will be biased but try the 8300.

silimtao
09-14-2007, 12:58 AM
Why the need for mms when you have email? I have a data plan with unlimited airtime for internet browsing, have installed my gmail account, and get 100 free sms/month. I saw no point in paying more for mms capability. Am I missing something?

In response to the original post: I agree with the others. This is my first BB, did my research; the iPhone and Blackjack (forget the Blackjack)- both looked real tempting, but opted for the BB because I didn't want what seemed to me a TOY in comparison. Sure, you get faster access to the internet if you get to a wireless hotspot, but I don't need that. I get my email before it hits my computer, the mp3 player sounds GREAT, the pim functions (which is what I really wanted/needed), vid player, and the list goes on. My bro-in-law has the iPhone and isn't that impressed with the sound. Sure the screen is smaller on the BBs, but unless you have a long commute everyday, who needs it? I'm perfectly happy watching short vid clips on my short commute, or reading an e-book I can download from the public library. As for internet browsing, yeah, it's slow compared to broadband, but you really going to be surfing the 'net much when you're out running around? I can get movie times, mapquest, weather, local news, and I can save web pages for reading when I have the time. If you want productivity there's nothing like the BB. I've had the opportunity to do a side by side comparison, and I'm glad I made the BB choice. PLUS, if you're eligible for an upgrade with your carrier, you can get a BB on the cheap; mine cost me $100. No breaks on the iPhone.

I love my BB; not perfect, but just what the doctor ordered for my and most people's needs imho. And the Pearl looks cool too, lol.

nuopus
09-14-2007, 03:05 AM
Why the need for mms when you have email? I have a data plan with unlimited airtime for internet browsing, have installed my gmail account, and get 100 free sms/month. I saw no point in paying more for mms capability. Am I missing something?

In response to the original post: I agree with the others. This is my first BB, did my research; the iPhone and Blackjack (forget the Blackjack)- both looked real tempting, but opted for the BB because I didn't want what seemed to me a TOY in comparison. Sure, you get faster access to the internet if you get to a wireless hotspot, but I don't need that. I get my email before it hits my computer, the mp3 player sounds GREAT, the pim functions (which is what I really wanted/needed), vid player, and the list goes on. My bro-in-law has the iPhone and isn't that impressed with the sound. Sure the screen is smaller on the BBs, but unless you have a long commute everyday, who needs it? I'm perfectly happy watching short vid clips on my short commute, or reading an e-book I can download from the public library. As for internet browsing, yeah, it's slow compared to broadband, but you really going to be surfing the 'net much when you're out running around? I can get movie times, mapquest, weather, local news, and I can save web pages for reading when I have the time. If you want productivity there's nothing like the BB. I've had the opportunity to do a side by side comparison, and I'm glad I made the BB choice. PLUS, if you're eligible for an upgrade with your carrier, you can get a BB on the cheap; mine cost me $100. No breaks on the iPhone.

I love my BB; not perfect, but just what the doctor ordered for my and most people's needs imho. And the Pearl looks cool too, lol.

Because most people that are in the consumer market will tend to use MMS. This happens to be most people that use Cel phones. One of the most popular phones out there are the Motoroloa RAZR and KRAZR phones. And also some of the other feature phones. They will most likely use MMS to share pictures they take with their friends because MMS is such a standard feature. I am a VERY social person and get somewhere around 15-30 pictures a day from numerous people through MMS. It does get frustrating sometimes because I sometimes have girls send a pic of a couple of skirts they want to but and ask opinion of which one. They are not going to use email ... email just is not going to replace MMS as a quick consumer way of sharing pictures.

It is perfectly normal for me to spend over $500 on a phone or PDA, but to most people out there it is outrageous. Heck, for lots of people $200 is expensive for a phone.

NaplesBill
09-14-2007, 07:46 AM
Hi, noobie here.

I just moved to AT&T from Sprint. I had a Moto Q with Sprint. I loved the phone but Sprint disabled the MMS in it for some reason. I have used a Blackberry for several years through my job. I have also used WM5 devices. When I switched to AT&T last week I tried out a BlackJack. Although I like the overall design of the BJ there were a few things that I couldn't live with. The biggest problem has to do with it not working properly with the Bluetooth in my car. The other big problem has to do with where the back and end call keys are placed in relation to the d-pad. I just couldn't stop hitting back or end call when trying to use the d-pad. I now have a Blackberry Curve and it is the best phone I have ever used/owned. I wanted a WM5/6 device because there is a Sirius streaming app(adapted from PPC) but I can live without it. The BB is soooo much better at predicting punctuation and spelling. The WM6 devices only predict and spell check in limited areas where the BB will do it just about everywhere. Things like entering email addresses and websites are just easier on the BB. I am not interested in the iPhone. Even as an iPod it fails miserably for me. I have 37GB of music on my 5G 60GB iPod. Tell me how and 8GB device is going to replace that? LOL I think the iPod is a great product for the right consumer. I'm just not one of them.

I decided to post because of the MMS question. The problem with the just use email argument is twofold. First, you don't have email for everyone in the phonebook. In order to send text to their phone you need the email address, based on the service provider, that uses their phone number. Sure this is obtainable information but are you going to remember this for each contact in your address book? Or, are you going to edit each contact to add this detail? This is already stupid to most people. Second, if you send it using email to a standard email address many people(at least on my contact list) would not be able to view the message on their phone. Either their phone is not email capable or they don't know how to use it. MMS from one phone to another is DEFINITELY the best way to go.

test54
09-14-2007, 08:57 AM
If you really need mms their are ways around it using email. I really think if your buying a $300 phone then you get whatever you want but I have no need for mms and rarely use sms. Email and Voice? are good enough to get my message to whoever.
You are also in a Blackberry forum where probably half the users are using phones with no camera so that eliminates alot of mms need.

NaplesBill
09-14-2007, 09:09 AM
If you really need mms their are ways around it using email. I really think if your buying a $300 phone then you get whatever you want but I have no need for mms and rarely use sms. Email and Voice? are good enough to get my message to whoever.
You are also in a Blackberry forum where probably half the users are using phones with no camera so that eliminates alot of mms need.

This guy is looking at getting a new phone so why would he want to get something that requires a workaround? It seems clear that the iPhone will not work for him since he needs IM capability. I wasn't aware the iPhone would have a problem with that, kind of surprising. Also, the BlackBerry Curve can be a music player, supports IM, Text and MMS and supports Internet access. The iPhone has better Internet and a beautiful screen. What good is the screen without the IM functions he is looking for? I actually considered the iPhone when the price dropped to $399 but there are just too many limitations for my purposes. It would appear that he is in the same boat.

Also, there may be a lot more users here who don't have a camera in their phone but you must realize that this statistic will evolve. In the meantime, there are people here who have a camera phone and want MMS functionality. It is a valid comparison between phones and providers. I have both an 8703e for work and a 8300 Curve for personal use.

test54
09-14-2007, 09:27 AM
look at post #3 and #6, thank you. why all the iphone hate, pretty defensive. There are Govt. and Corp. people than cannot have cameras, that number will always be there. The number of "consumers" buying the BB will continue to fluctuate, i agree. But as #3 and #6 say the choice for this guy is clear...

NaplesBill
09-14-2007, 09:41 AM
look at post #3 and #6, thank you. why all the iphone hate, pretty defensive. There are Govt. and Corp. people than cannot have cameras, that number will always be there. The number of "consumers" buying the BB will continue to fluctuate, i agree. But as #3 and #6 say the choice for this guy is clear...

I am not being defensive. I only pointed out the features of the Curve because I was comparing it to the iPhone. I hope you don't think I'm trying to show any disrespect. I'm just trying to give my perspective on this. I don't hate the iPhone. I think it's an awesome first attempt but it has some weak areas that make it a no go for me. MMS, bluetooth issues(for my car at least), not enough storage and lack of 3rd part support(that will improve). I remember my first Blackberry and I've watched them evolve and I would only assume the iPhone will only get better as well. There is no need to take any of this stuff personally.

test54
09-14-2007, 09:49 AM
none taken. his choice is clear.

nuopus
09-14-2007, 02:25 PM

No there isn't. There is absolutely NO WAY email can replace MMS. A lot of people use it like this (My example):

Friend: Hey Chris, which one do you think would be better for the party tonight? (takes picture of two dresses and sends via MMS)

Me: (gets picture instantly) Girl ... heeeeelllll no. I think you need something like this! (takes picture of a naked woman in a playboy and sends it via MMS)

Friend: HHAHAHAHA My boyfriend wouldn't like that! But really ... which one?

Me: I think you look sexy in the black one

Most people do not have email capability on the phone, and sometimes if they do, its not instant. I think you are delusional if you are actually thinking that most people out there have email capable phones. In reality, most people don't care or want it on their devices ... and would much rather have a device like the RAZR or most other regular phones with some music features.

MMS (or picture messaging as most people know it) is just way too standard of a consumer feature to have a "workaround". Its like saying why use voicemail on the phone when you can record a message and send it via email. Its just a very common thing.

Even though I get email instantly and can do pictures in the email with my BlackBerry. There is no way in hell I would ever get a phone without MMS, or expect people to have email on THEIR phones so they dont use MMS.

test54
09-14-2007, 02:39 PM
There is no way in hell I would ever get a phone without MMS, or expect people to have email on THEIR phones so they dont use MMS.

While I do appreciate your lecturing, it does come down to this last point YOU made about devices. Thanks,

and again read #3 and #6 I'm suggesting the guy get a BB for the reasons YOU mention.

nuopus
09-14-2007, 02:40 PM
While I do appreciate your lecturing, it does come down to this last point YOU made about devices. Thanks,

and again read #3 and #6 I'm suggesting the guy get a BB for the reasons YOU mention.

I love you test54. Want a hug?

test54
09-14-2007, 02:41 PM
No thanks but I'll take a MMS.;-)

nuopus
09-14-2007, 02:46 PM
No thanks but I'll take a MMS.;-)

Oh come on lots of people want Filipino hugs it brings good luck!!!! But I do send MMS like mad! lol

nuopus
09-14-2007, 02:49 PM

Ya ... im a teacher at a local college so it kind of fits me. Anyway, I was actually thinking of getting an iPhone myself. When they come out with the new version, or include an MMS application, I may still get one.

test54
09-14-2007, 02:54 PM
I am using it right now as a matter of fact. listening to DMB, posting in here.
they could add mms with software update. And rumored next version of the phone March-April. Have to get through next OS and the holidays as well as European launch.

Still use my 8800 for work email and some GPS.

nuopus
09-14-2007, 03:03 PM
I am using it right now as a matter of fact. listening to DMB, posting in here.
they could add mms with software update. And rumored next version of the phone March-April. Have to get through next OS and the holidays as well as European launch.

Still use my 8800 for work email and some GPS.

Im still waiting for someone to talk me out of leaving BB and slapping some sense into me. I am getting frustrated with things not working all the time and having to resend service books or pull the battery because email just stops working or the internet just decides to take a dump on me.

I was actually waiting for the AT&T Tilt to come out and make my mind up between that and the new Curve that is supposedly being released soon. OR maybe I will just get a wild hair up my poop extraction orifice and get an iPhone I have no idea.

silimtao
09-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Because most people that are in the consumer market will tend to use MMS. This happens to be most people that use Cel phones. One of the most popular phones out there are the Motoroloa RAZR and KRAZR phones. And also some of the other feature phones. They will most likely use MMS to share pictures they take with their friends because MMS is such a standard feature. I am a VERY social person and get somewhere around 15-30 pictures a day from numerous people through MMS. It does get frustrating sometimes because I sometimes have girls send a pic of a couple of skirts they want to but and ask opinion of which one. They are not going to use email ... email just is not going to replace MMS as a quick consumer way of sharing pictures.

It is perfectly normal for me to spend over $500 on a phone or PDA, but to most people out there it is outrageous. Heck, for lots of people $200 is expensive for a phone.

Thanks for the explanation; makes sense. As for the girls sending you pix, if they ask you whether a skirt makes 'em look fat, say no, it's their fat butt that makes the skirt look big :smile:

test54
09-14-2007, 03:59 PM
silimtao, where's the zen in that? ;-)

and I like all phones that do what they are expected to. nothing is perfect nor are the users.

silimtao
09-14-2007, 07:50 PM
silimtao, where's the zen in that? ;-)

Ah, grasshopper, if you must ask, you will never understand. Humor is very much Zen. Now, I must insist you meditate on your navel for the next hour. :razz:

nuopus
09-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Ah, grasshopper, if you must ask, you will never understand. Humor is very much Zen. Now, I must insist you meditate on your navel for the next hour. :razz:

Fo shizzle?

The MVPlaya
09-16-2007, 01:47 AM
the iPhone does have IM btw, just with 3rd party software. It IS a native program too.