PDA

View Full Version : TMo 8800, 8320, or VZW 8830?

SamuelLJackson
09-15-2007, 10:31 AM
Hi guys, this is my first post.

I need to decide which phone to get amongst these three. I am in the US, so I am leaning towards the VZW 8830.

Does anyone know how much the 8320 will cost (without plan)?

How does the 8830 work? Is it a true 100% GSM phone in Europe? Does one need a separate plan to operate it there, or does it already come with SIM card for roaming?

What are the pros and cons of each of these models/carriers? I am tempted to go for the 8830 because it has 3G Internet while the TMos operate on EDGE, which appears to be slow and have spotty service in the States.

li2327
09-15-2007, 10:56 AM
Wirelessly posted (7130e: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I had the 8830 with Verizon. Its a very good device. It does come with an international sim if you're going to sign up for the international data plan. I don't remember how much the overseas plan is. I only had the us data plan which was $45 dollars a month. But I do know it was a separate plan in addition to your data plan. Hope this helps. :)

jeremyckitching
09-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Well the 8320 hasn't been officially released yet here, so we won't know the pricing until is comes out. The 8800 and 8830 are similar, except the 8830 is for CDMA carriers allowing them to be used overseas. You would need to chose one based on what is important for you. The Verizon's 8830 does have the GPS disabled/not working right now, so keep that in mind.

Mark_Venture
09-15-2007, 11:29 AM
The Verizon 8830 doesn't come with a SIM... you need to also order their Global Support Pack... its an add on... it gets you international roaming, and international service at "Pay as you go" rates... or you can choose the internation unlimited data plan. Its a Vodaphone SIM.

Between T-Mobile & AT&T 8800's and the Verizon 8830... I see no major differences other than the lack of "Turn By Turn" directions (GPS app..), and coverage/rates offered by the providers...

Each of those units work well. (I used a T-Mo 8800, and my users use all the others)

I'm playing with a T-Mobile 8320 right now. Again, other than Wi-Fi & UMA capabilities... I don't see much difference from the AT&T 8300... Then again, I don't really use the camera... I know the 8320 is a 2mp, I forget what the 8300 is.

SamuelLJackson
09-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Thank you for the input, everyone. Isn't it the case that the 8830, on Verizon, will have a much faster data rate (and Internet speeds) since it is 3G?

I have heard that EDGE is pretty slow in the US. I would love to compare a TMo or ATT 8800 alongside a VZW 8830 with respect to Internet browsing and the like.

jeremyckitching
09-15-2007, 11:56 AM
EDGE speeds are slower than the CDMA networks, but for the most part regular browsing (as I have heard) won't give much of a performance difference. Maybe if you are downloading media (pictures or ringtones). But in most cases you will just be looking at web pages and probably won't notice too much of a speed advantage with the Verizon device for just regular web browsing.

Mark_Venture
09-15-2007, 12:06 PM
Verizon's EVDO network on a PC.. you get up to 2Mbps bursts, usuallly get about 400-600kbps real world speeds... (I've done it tethering across my cell...) Tethering across a Verizon blackbery is an additional cost.

Edge is slower than that.... Tethering with my T-Mobile blackberry as the modem speeds don't get past 200kbps... T-Mobile includes tethering with the Unlimited data plan for BES use that I have.

Now, when using the blackberries as blackberries... I don't really notice the speed difference.

pinhead
09-15-2007, 05:35 PM
The Blackberries really don't have the ability to take advantage of the faster speeds from EVDO, for the most part. I suggest going with the 8320, as it gives you the most coveted features of any current Blackberry, or the 8800 since it has the most useful features (GPS) of any Blackberry.

I just cannot see any reason to buy a CDMA/EVDO BB. The GSM devices have MUCH better battery life, are already quadband for world roaming, have ALL of their features enabled, and are not locked into Verizon's ridiculous rate plans.

flash24
09-15-2007, 06:20 PM
8320, it has wi-fi. Tmobile, best provider to have a BB on because their affordable and their CR is fantastic.

Mark_Venture
09-15-2007, 06:26 PM
I just cannot see any reason to buy a CDMA/EVDO BB. The GSM devices have MUCH better battery life, are already quadband for world roaming, have ALL of their features enabled, and are not locked into Verizon's ridiculous rate plans.
Battery life is not an issue in my experience as long as the CDMA phone is in a solid EVDO or 1X coverage area... areas where the device switches between both can/will drain the battery....

Other than the lack of GPS on the Verizon 8830, there are no other "disabled" features on the Verizon 8830.

Take a closer look at Verizon's and T-Mobile's international calling, roaming, and unlimited data rates... Verizon isn't far out of line...