PDA

View Full Version : E Mail

bcreekski
09-15-2007, 09:08 PM
New BB owner today. When I set up by E Mail (BIS), is there a choice to leave E Mail on the server so that I can also access later on PC?

juwaack68
09-15-2007, 09:09 PM
There must be since that's how it works for me :-)

vinmontRD
09-15-2007, 09:18 PM
That IS the way it works, indeed.

When BIS forwards email to your Blackberry, the email is NOT removed from the server (similar to BES not deleting email from Exchange when sending email to your Blackberry). Thus, as you note, the email will still be available for your PC email client to download.

On the other hand, depending on your sync settings, reading and deleting an email on the Blackberry will signal BIS to delete the email from your POP3 or IMAP host. If you PC email client hasn't downloaded the email before your Blackberry, BIS and your email host all sync, then the email won't be available to be downloaded to the PC.

zerog46
09-15-2007, 09:19 PM
Yes if you use outlook go into your setting and then advanced then leave a copy on server.

fatbike
09-15-2007, 09:20 PM
A copy is forwarded to the handheld. the original is left on the server until you send/receive on your pc.
That is assuming that you are using outlook type email.

Dubdub
09-15-2007, 10:41 PM
You need to make that change in your PC email application, not on BIS. If you use Outlook, it is in the Advanced tab.

If you don't do that, once email is downloaded to your email application, it is automatically removed from the server, hence not sent to the BB.

John Clark
09-15-2007, 11:52 PM
New BB owner today. When I set up by E Mail (BIS), is there a choice to leave E Mail on the server so that I can also access later on PC?

I'm not sure if your question really got answered in here. You can setup your BB so that when you delete an email on the BB it will automatically delete just on the handheld, or on both the handheld and the server, or you can have it prompt you each time.

Go to Messages. Click the menu key and select Options. Then go to Email reconciliation. You can change your "delete on" settings there.

Good luck and welcome to the forums.

fatbike
09-16-2007, 10:12 AM

And to expound on that answer if I may;

When using POP email addresses, often times the BB email setup wizard will not prompt you for information, but will simply set up the email client for you. When this happens the default for 'Leave a copy on the server' will be yes. When this occurs, you can log onto the blackberry web email function (each provider has their own login) from a PC and change the defaults if you choose to. Should the wizard not set up the email address for you automatically, the questions must be answered for POP, SMTP, Leave Message, etc.

This info refers to the process of setting up email using the wizard on the handheld, not the web application.
If you haven't tried it yet, it's in Setup Wizard on the handheld.