PDA

View Full Version : Lost Blackberry phone reverse GPS lookup

ShinyDragonkin
09-16-2007, 07:24 PM
Is it possible to use the Blackberry GPS for a reverse lookup to locate a lost Blackberry enabled phone?

:bb:

This is more of a general question, but if it turns out the solution is model specific I can repost it with the model number if nessecary, I just thought there might be a universal function for that.
:smile:

Dubdub
09-16-2007, 08:54 PM
Not to my knowledge. There is no installed application on the BB to do that.

Make sure you report the device to your carrier as lost or stolen as soon as possible, if it is indeed lost. You are liable for all charges up until the time you notify your carrier. It isn't like a credit card where you are only responsible for the first $50.00.

southwestcomm
09-16-2007, 09:24 PM
You can, on Sprint, add GPS services - like Sprint Mobile Locator, TeleNav, Xora, etc, that would allow you to locate the phones as long as it is on and in coverage.

KeithO
09-18-2007, 06:34 AM
None of the BBs broadcast where they are, they are only passive receivers of GPS, so it's not possible to locate that way.

In theory the provider could use their network to locate the phone, but even that would likely only tie it down to a particular broadcast cell, which (depending on location in city or country) could cover several square miles...not really accurate enough to find a missing phone.

Unless there is an app that receives GPS, extracts coordinates, and then sends those coordinates onto somewhere else, I think you're screwed. Even then, you'd need to have installed the app on the phone before you lost it.

rambo47
09-18-2007, 09:35 AM
The NSA could do it. :D

KeithO
09-18-2007, 09:42 AM
The NSA could do it. :D
Yeah probably! And divert a satellite to take a photo of whoever is using it :-)

southwestcomm
09-18-2007, 11:06 AM
You obviously aren't aware of Sprint technology.

None of the BBs broadcast where they are, they are only passive receivers of GPS, so it's not possible to locate that way.

In theory the provider could use their network to locate the phone, but even that would likely only tie it down to a particular broadcast cell, which (depending on location in city or country) could cover several square miles...not really accurate enough to find a missing phone.

Unless there is an app that receives GPS, extracts coordinates, and then sends those coordinates onto somewhere else, I think you're screwed. Even then, you'd need to have installed the app on the phone before you lost it.

JSanders
09-18-2007, 11:23 AM
There is an application (and yes it must be on a gps-enabled-device and turned on) called BlackBerry Tracker, Google it. You view it's location via any web browser.

JDWallace
09-18-2007, 11:53 AM
J, always dropping the gavel. lol!:-P

zuiko
09-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Of course you will have to find the Blackberry before you could install any software that would report its location.

JSanders
09-18-2007, 12:31 PM
Of course you will have to find the Blackberry before you could install any software that would report its location.

Do you really think so? ;-) bummer.

(and yes it must be on a gps-enabled-device and turned on)
Even then, you'd need to have installed the app on the phone before you lost it.

nuopus
09-18-2007, 02:06 PM

Okay here is the plan. Go to the place where you left your BlackBerry, install the software, then use it to find the phone. Problem solved im such a geen-ee-us!

Noekozz
09-18-2007, 02:07 PM
There is an application (and yes it must be on a gps-enabled-device and turned on) called BlackBerry Tracker, Google it. You view it's location via any web browser.

I am not worthy, I am not worthy!!! (runs to d/l blackberry tracker)

KeithO
09-19-2007, 03:57 AM
You obviously aren't aware of Sprint technology.
No I'm not. How does it work?

KeithO
09-19-2007, 04:19 AM
Do you really think so? ;-) bummer.
Is it possible to download, install and activate software such as this on a BB remotely without the user intervening?

rambo47
09-19-2007, 09:12 AM
No. No Blackberry will allow this without the user clicking an "OK" dialog box at the very least. Actually, I don't believe it's possible to even initiate a download remotely. The exception would be for a BB Admin at your company to push something onto your Blackberry.

southwestcomm
09-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Google Sprint Mobile Locator, visit Nextel | Sprint Mobile Locator (http://www.sprint.com/mobilelocator) or send me a PM.

No I'm not. How does it work?

adamli9
10-27-2007, 06:14 PM
If the OS is 4.2.2+ then you can enable enterprise tracking which will tell the device to report its GPS coordinates to the BES.

BurningBerry
10-29-2007, 04:23 AM
nice idea, heere in austria it didnt work