PDA

View Full Version : Can't remove ringtones from list

Captain Dude
09-17-2007, 01:14 PM
Ok, so I added a ringtone and no longer wanted it. I went in to media/ringtones/my ring tones and highlighted the one I want to remove. I then used the "applications" button and selected delete. Now, the ringtone is gone, won't play, but still appears on the list. Does anyone know how to correct this?

Thanks in Advance8-)

jeremyckitching
09-17-2007, 01:20 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Try pulling the battery for about 30 seconds, then re-insert.

JSanders
09-17-2007, 01:37 PM
AND, Capitan, welcome to the forums!

Captain Dude
09-17-2007, 01:38 PM
I would rather leave it in the list than do a hard reset like that. Let me try rebooting first. TY for the welcome!!

JRSCCivic98
09-17-2007, 01:39 PM
What's the big deal about a reboot?

JSanders
09-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Pulling the battery to reboot IS a hard reset.

Using ALT + Shift + Delete is a soft reset.

There is no harm in either, and the hard (battery pull) does clear up more issues. It deletes nothing from your BB. What's that "S" on your avatar anyway?

penguin3107
09-17-2007, 01:44 PM
I would rather leave it in the list than do a hard reset like that. Let me try rebooting first. TY for the welcome!!

Pulling the battery just reboots the device. It doesn't erase anything, or reset any settings.
There's nothing harmful or destructive about it.
It's the most common and effective troubleshooting step with just about any problem you may encounter.

Captain Dude
09-17-2007, 01:50 PM
I understand the difference gentlemen, thank you. It seems a bit silly to have to take the device apart for what amounts to a labeling error. I would rather not ever open the device since that does expose some pretty sensitive electronics although I understand the procedure could be viewed as harmless.

As an update after powering the device on and off, all of my downloaded ringtones no longer display in the "My Ring Tones" category and instead only show up in "All Ring Tones" in case that qualifies as another bug.

I am now preparing to do a hard reset, I will let you know what happens.

JSanders
09-17-2007, 01:54 PM
I understand the difference gentlemen, thank you. It seems a bit silly to have to tkae the device apart for what amounts to a labeling error.

Well it still is the best manner, so just do it and laugh, if it really gets silly. ;-)

Captain Dude
09-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Pulling the battery to reboot IS a hard reset.

What's that "S" on your avatar anyway?

Superman

Captain Dude
09-17-2007, 01:57 PM
The "hard reset" fixed both issues listed above, thanks for the advice. Are these types of issues typical, and are they ever addressed in things like firmware updates? Speaking of that how are firmware updates handled, or is it by carrier?

JSanders
09-17-2007, 01:57 PM
I bet Superman pulls his battery to reboot his BlackBerry. 8-)

JSanders
09-17-2007, 02:03 PM
The "hard reset" fixed both issues listed above, thanks for the advice. Are these types of issues typical, and are they ever addressed in things like firmware updates? Speaking of that how are firmware updates handled, or is it by carrier?

OS updates are handled by carrier, we routinely keep all the updates in the section of the forum related to that model. Check out the Sticky Notes (in yellow) at the top of each section, i.e., the 8830 here:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8800-series-discussion/88838-latest-os-8830-cdma-verizon-4-2-2-271-4-2-2-148-a.html

Captain Dude
09-17-2007, 02:11 PM
That link was for Verizon, what about Sprint? Can I keep it updated from the device or do I need to visit some other website?

JSanders
09-17-2007, 02:14 PM
You cannot do an OS upgrade Over The AIR, OTA.

Yes, it will work for Sprint, when you get a chance to read through the thread, you will see that. IF you follow the instructions at that link, that OS will work for your 8830. If you don't follow the instructions, don't even attempt it.

Captain Dude
09-17-2007, 02:17 PM
It asks for your Verizon number, no big deal, I can wait until Sprint catches up.

penguin3107
09-17-2007, 02:17 PM
I would rather not ever open the device since that does expose some pretty sensitive electronics although I understand the procedure could be viewed as harmless.

Being a bit overly-dramatic, don't you think?

You're not dismantling the device. Taking the battery out of your BlackBerry and putting it back in is no different that replacing a battery in a flashlight.
You're not "exposing some pretty sensitive electronics". It's just a plastic cover, and a battery... both of which are designed to be removed and replaced.

Captain Dude
09-17-2007, 02:26 PM
Being a bit overly-dramatic, don't you think?

You're not dismantling the device. Taking the battery out of your BlackBerry and putting it back in is no different that replacing a battery in a flashlight.
You're not "exposing some pretty sensitive electronics". It's just a plastic cover, and a battery... both of which are designed to be removed and replaced.

I, respectfully, disagree. The electronics inside this device are far more complex than simple power, two wires w/no circuit board, to a bulb. It's much more akin to removing the battery from a motherboard on a computer just easier to access. Things like dust, static, and humidity can greatly affect these types of boards whether or not they were designed to be accessed.

It doesn't really matter since it worked, I would just prefer the device function correctly and not have to be opened for something so simple.

JSanders
09-17-2007, 02:47 PM
Capitan, you can have it your way.

In a couple of instances you have asked what is needed for this matter or another, and it was answered by persons who honestly know what they are talking about (and on this board we ARE very good at catching each other if one of us trips up and makes a mistake). In each instance, you decided that was not the answer you wanted, or doesn't apply to your device.

You can honestly have it your way, but the advice you are getting IS absolutely correct and workable. Just FYI, you are obviously free to do as you please, with no harm intended. You can respectfully disagree, but that does not change the fact that, in the case of the battery pull reboot, IS the RIM recommended reset method for a hard reset.

Captain Dude
09-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Capitan, you can have it your way.

In a couple of instances you have asked what is needed for this matter or another, and it was answered by persons who honestly know what they are talking about (and on this board we ARE very good at catching each other if one of us trips up and makes a mistake). In each instance, you decided that was not the answer you wanted, or doesn't apply to your device.

You can honestly have it your way, but the advice you are getting IS absolutely correct and workable. Just FYI, you are obviously free to do as you please, with no harm intended. You can respectfully disagree, but that does not change the fact that, in the case of the battery pull reboot, IS the RIM recommended reset method for a hard reset.

I don't understand where I disagreed with that method. I understand and appreciate the support, and I mentioned that earlier. Someone tried to equate the 8830 battery removal to a flashlight, which is electronically incorrect and i just pointed that out. I am just curious if these types of oddities are things the manufacturer seeks to repair in software updates or do they always want the hard reset? I am not being argumentative, just trying to find out if they correct their errors the proper way or if we are to continue doing it the current way simply because it works.

The main reason I would like it to work "correctly" is that I spend a large amount of time on the road and a hard reset is not practical at that point. IT would seem that RIM could patch this glitch fairly easy. Again, I am not disputing that the current method works just wishing I didn't have to do it that way and wondering if these things ever get corrected.

jeremyckitching
09-17-2007, 02:58 PM
Well as of yet, these things have not been fixed with a software update. About 90% of these "strange issues" can be resolved with a battery pull. As of now, this is the only way to resolve it. But it may get fixed in the future.

Sucks in air to hold breath for a loooong time...

Captain Dude
09-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks for all the help from everyone, sorry if it sounded like I was complaining about you. I work in IT and don't like it when things have to be done with band-aids.

JSanders
09-17-2007, 03:01 PM
No one has (I have not) said you are arguing or disputing, and your respectful disagreement is simply a matter of your opinion. No biggie. But it is much like replacing a battery in a flashlight (actually much easier and simpler) and I have done it while traveling quite often. Thank heavens it is so easy.

The manufacturer does issues OS updates to take care these glitches and errors, and you were pointed in the right direction for assistance on that.

Good luck.

JSanders
09-17-2007, 03:07 PM
It is not a band-aid. It is THE RIM recommended manner to deal with it.
BlackBerry Search Results (http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02141&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=51944778&stateId=1%200%2051946259)

Captain Dude
09-17-2007, 03:45 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; Google Wireless Transcoder;))

It is not a band-aid. It is THE RIM recommended manner to deal with it.
BlackBerry Search Results (http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02141&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=51944778&stateId=1%200%2051946259)

I underdstand just doesn't seem like a fix is all.

Captain Dude
09-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; Google Wireless Transcoder;))

No one has (I have not) said you are arguing or disputing, and your respectful disagreement is simply a matter of your opinion. No biggie. But it is much like replacing a battery in a flashlight (actually much easier and simpler) and I have done it while traveling quite often. Thank heavens it is so easy.

The manufacturer does issues OS updates to take care these glitches and errors, and you were pointed in the right direction for assistance on that.

Good luck.

My seido case/holster make it a touch more difficult, but ease was not what I was disputing anyway. I assume somewhere in the upgrade thread they mention how to get around the "enter your verizon ten digit mobile number" I just must have missed it. I will look again tomorrow. Thanks again.

lukesaysmoo
09-18-2007, 02:59 PM
As a computer engineer (Rose-Hulman '05) I can assure you popping the back of your Blackberry off and removing/replacing the battery is little more than doing the same with a flashlight.

The back covering is little more than a facade. It won't keep out moisture as it doesn't have any seals and it will only keep out "most" dust anyway.

If you need to pull your battery I suggest not doing it on the factory floor, but in a cube or some place without excessive amounts of dust.

The electronics aren't that sensitive to the "normal" indoor environment.

Captain Dude
09-18-2007, 03:15 PM
As a computer engineer (Rose-Hulman '05) I can assure you popping the back of your Blackberry off and removing/replacing the battery is little more than doing the same with a flashlight.

The back covering is little more than a facade. It won't keep out moisture as it doesn't have any seals and it will only keep out "most" dust anyway.

If you need to pull your battery I suggest not doing it on the factory floor, but in a cube or some place without excessive amounts of dust.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I am an EE, nice to have some fellow engineers around.

wabbit
09-18-2007, 04:55 PM

i totally disagree.

a cell phone takes more abuse you walking in a rainy day in your pocket then pulling the cover off and taking the battery out for a min or two.

Captain Dude
09-18-2007, 05:09 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

i totally disagree.

a cell phone takes more abuse you walking in a rainy day in your pocket then pulling the cover off and taking the battery out for a min or two.

How is that possible?

JRSCCivic98
09-18-2007, 09:55 PM
I, respectfully, disagree. The electronics inside this device are far more complex than simple power, two wires w/no circuit board, to a bulb. It's much more akin to removing the battery from a motherboard on a computer just easier to access. Things like dust, static, and humidity can greatly affect these types of boards whether or not they were designed to be accessed.

Oh boy...........

John Clark
09-18-2007, 10:25 PM

I underdstand just doesn't seem like a fix is all.

If the manufacturer of the device recommends it, it's been working without fail for years, then what could possibly be wrong with it? If you don't like removing your back cover then try the 3rd party app by Metsfan called SoftReset.

Also, I think there is a shortcut for a reboot on the 8830. alt+cap+del, I think.

Unfortunatly, you're just plain wrong about this. It's a tried, true, safe, and RIM supported method for a reboot of the BB device.

Captain Dude
09-19-2007, 06:30 AM
If the manufacturer of the device recommends it, it's been working without fail for years, then what could possibly be wrong with it? If you don't like removing your back cover then try the 3rd party app by Metsfan called SoftReset.

Also, I think there is a shortcut for a reboot on the 8830. alt+cap+del, I think.

Unfortunatly, you're just plain wrong about this. It's a tried, true, safe, and RIM supported method for a reboot of the BB device.

I understand this is a good recommended workaround. A fix would be the issue doesn't happen. When you delete the ringtone(s) they are no longer on your list. I am ok with you accepting the workaround, I would prefer a fix instead.

JRSCCivic98
09-19-2007, 07:36 AM
I understand this is a good recommended workaround. A fix would be the issue doesn't happen. When you delete the ringtone(s) they are no longer on your list. I am ok with you accepting the workaround, I would prefer a fix instead.

Ok, I can't take it anymore! Do you honestly think you're the only person in existance to find things wrong with RIM's devices, or the OS really for that matter. I've lost count on how many different bugs or shortcomings I've found in the latest OS on these phones from RIM. You're not alone, Blackberries are not perfect in this regard. The problem is apperently that RIM is too retarded to properly test things before they let it out on market and because they are such a small company that they end up having the public do some of this product testing and then fix things as they come up. Companies of their size tend to let a few things slip by, but apperently RIM's let a lot slip by with the 88xx phones.

The basic problem you're having is that the cache listing is not clearing out quick enough... it's also visable not only for ringtones, but any media on the phone, be it videos or music as well. Hell, even themes don't always show up properly until you do a hard reset and most of the time a soft reset won't do anything because a soft reset is very close to what the phone does when you turn it off and on via the interface. I know, it's stupid, but if it bothers you this much then call up RIM and complain or email them about the problems at bbsuggestions@<hidden>. That's what I do and I have a folder full of emails about problems to them.

I got news for you, you haven't found anything new with this bug.

JSanders
09-19-2007, 07:58 AM
No flaming the poster, please.

When I posted the link (scroll up), I meant to come back and post this one as well:
Differences between a hard and soft reset
BlackBerry Search Results (http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB03903&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=52298737&stateId=0%200%2025849800)

When to perform a hard reset:
BlackBerry Search Results (http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02794&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=26900097&stateId=0%200%2012355214)

Captain Dude
09-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Ok, I can't take it anymore! Do you honestly think you're the only person in existance to find things wrong with RIM's devices, or the OS really for that matter. I've lost count on how many different bugs or shortcomings I've found in the latest OS on these phones from RIM. You're not alone, Blackberries are not perfect in this regard. The problem is apperently that RIM is too retarded to properly test things before they let it out on market and because they are such a small company that they end up having the public do some of this product testing and then fix things as they come up. Companies of their size tend to let a few things slip by, but apperently RIM's let a lot slip by with the 88xx phones.

The basic problem you're having is that the cache listing is not clearing out quick enough... it's also visable not only for ringtones, but any media on the phone, be it videos or music as well. Hell, even themes don't always show up properly until you do a hard reset and most of the time a soft reset won't do anything because a soft reset is very close to what the phone does when you turn it off and on via the interface. I know, it's stupid, but if it bothers you this much then call up RIM and complain or email them about the problems at bbsuggestions@<hidden>. That's what I do and I have a folder full of emails about problems to them.

I got news for you, you haven't found anything new with this bug.
I didn't claim to find anything new, just asked a couple questions. I did complain to the vendor of the phone and appreciate the e-mail address you provided, that will be helpful. I think it's actually bothering other people more than myself. My goodness the anger :x some people have. lol

Jsanders, thanks for being even-keeled and helpful. Too many people infer tone of voice or intent via forums and it's always good to have a moderator around.

wabbit
09-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

How is that possible?

what happends when you use a battery powered device? it heats up right? considering rain is cool, and something hot happens, you get what is called condenstation.

dust is bad for electronics not cause it shorts them out, they dont carry enough current for it to be a conductor, they are bad cause well they become a heat blanket for electronic's and also stop moving parts from moving. fans / etc.

by the time you get enough dust into a micro system or any pc board to be a blanket, the thing would have to run non stop for good few years, not some 2 min a month you open a cover with nothing exposed but a sd slot thats gold plated and the friction of inserting a micro sd would clean it up.

Captain Dude
09-20-2007, 05:44 PM

How is that possible?

what happends when you use a battery powered device? it heats up right? considering rain is cool, and something hot happens, you get what is called condenstation.

dust is bad for electronics not cause it shorts them out, they dont carry enough current for it to be a conductor, they are bad cause well they become a heat blanket for electronic's and also stop moving parts from moving. fans / etc.

by the time you get enough dust into a micro system or any pc board to be a blanket, the thing would have to run non stop for good few years, not some 2 min a month you open a cover with nothing exposed but a sd slot thats gold plated and the friction of inserting a micro sd would clean it up.

Still doesn't seem worse in your pocket. Great explanation on the dust issue though.

wabbit
09-20-2007, 11:37 PM
Wirelessly posted (8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

It has holes in it. Gaps in keys etc. Heck speaker cut outs etc. Its still the same path same air and atmospheric air inside or out what keeps it dust free is the lack of circulation.

But still allows for humidity and taking a hot phone out of body heat in the winter out to take a call, what happens when some thing hot is quickly exposed to something cool with a surface :)

But you really can't harm a phone pulling a batt. Might break a tab on the cover but water. Humidity. Summer heat etc is worst then taking a cover off pulling a batt and putting the phone together

Captain Dude
09-21-2007, 06:16 AM
Wirelessly posted (8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

It has holes in it. Gaps in keys etc. Heck speaker cut outs etc. Its still the same path same air and atmospheric air inside or out what keeps it dust free is the lack of circulation.

But still allows for humidity and taking a hot phone out of body heat in the winter out to take a call, what happens when some thing hot is quickly exposed to something cool with a surface :)

But you really can't harm a phone pulling a batt. Might break a tab on the cover but water. Humidity. Summer heat etc is worst then taking a cover off pulling a batt and putting the phone together

I hadn't thought of breaking the tab off the cover, that would be totally crappy too.

John Clark
09-21-2007, 10:21 AM
Put the phone in a ziploc bag and don't ever open it. Keep it in a temperature controlled environment at all times. It will be perfect forever.

Captain Dude
09-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Put the phone in a ziploc bag and don't ever open it. Keep it in a temperature controlled environment at all times. It will be perfect forever.

Maybe I could just leave it in the box? 8-)

JSanders
09-21-2007, 10:42 AM
Reminds me of My Big Fat Greek Wedding, all the plastic still on the furniture and lamp shades.

Captain Dude
09-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Reminds me of My Big Fat Greek Wedding, all the plastic still on the furniture and lamp shades.

I think I have an Aunt like that.

wabbit
09-21-2007, 04:55 PM

HAHA p.s dont forget the silica gel bags ;-)