PDA

View Full Version : Hack the 7130 for MediaNet?

enentrup
09-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Anyone know how to force the 7130 to work on Cingular/AT&T's MediaNet plan instead of it being restricted to only the much more expensive Blackberry plans.

Here's the skinny: I just got a 7130. I want PAY PER USE internet access via the MediaNet network, for checking email and using Google Maps ONLY WHEN I'M IN A PINCH.

I do NOT want my email pushed to me like the Blackberry plan does.

Customer service explained to me that the ONLY way I can get online with my 7130 is via those $30 and up Blackberry plans.

Not what I want.

Thoughts?

John Clark
09-17-2007, 09:43 PM
Yes, you can do it with 3rd party applications like Opera mini and the GMail app.

You'll need to install:
Opera Mini: www.operamini.com

GMail app: http://www.blackberryforums.com/aftermarket-software/55917-new-gmail-app-bb-application-loader.html

And you'll need these settings:

Carrier specific APN/TCP settings - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Carrier_specific_APN/TCP_settings)

enentrup
09-19-2007, 09:34 PM
Now I'm officially intrigued.

John...

Firstly...I appreciate your help. But perhaps I'm missing something. I've been told by AT&T (formerly Cingular) Customer Service that the Blackberry Data Plans are the only ones I'm going to be able to use to be able to get online.

And without that BB Data Plan, the BB browser doesn't even appear. I can NOT connect to the internet at the moment. AT ALL.

And for what it's worth...I'm on Mac OS X.

So...I'm not sure if you're suggesting I follow your instructions via my handset or with it plugged into a computer.

Can you handhold just a bit to get me pointed in the right direction?

Thank you sir!

Eric

John Clark
09-19-2007, 11:26 PM
You'll need some kind of data plan (medianet, etc.) Then if you can install Opera Mini (a 3rd party browser) you can surf the internet with that. You won't be able to download applications to the device with it but it will browse the net ok.

The Gmail app will check your gmail account (if you have one.)

Having a mac only makes it harder to load the applications to the device. I recommend finding a pc, loading Desktop Manager to it and using it to install Opera and Gmail.

enentrup
09-21-2007, 08:08 AM
John...thank you SO MUCH! I've been playing around and reading up and I arrived at the same conclusion to get my 7130c configured. So glad to hear this is possible.

Best...Eric

dhmike661
03-24-2008, 05:12 PM
i can not connect to the internet after following the steps listed above

I installed the operamini browser, and have "proxy" typed in for the APN

with username and password left blank

i have a media net package

Sith_Apprentice
03-24-2008, 05:15 PM
for ATT the TCP/APN settings should be
wap.cingular
wap@<hidden>
CINGULAR1

case correct in the above statement

dhmike661
03-24-2008, 05:45 PM
tried

wap.cinglular for the APN

wap.cingulargprs.com for the username
and CINGULAR1 for the pasoword

oreramini goes through its tests, thens gives me a message "failed to connect to the internet"

Sith_Apprentice
03-24-2008, 05:47 PM
its wap@<hidden> not wap. for the username

JSanders
03-24-2008, 05:49 PM
dhmike.... note the @<hidden> symbol in the username. You did not use it.

username: WAP@<hidden>
pw: CINGULAR1 <<--all caps

set, save.

Sometimes, it does required a powered ON, battery pull reboot for the TCP settings to take effect.

dhmike661
03-24-2008, 06:03 PM
i dont know whats going on, i chaged it, and this time it went through the tests a lot faster when i opened operamini..and still gave me the same failed to connect message :(

dhmike661
03-24-2008, 06:14 PM
APN: wap@<hidden>

Username: wap@<hidden>

Password:CINGULAR1

after i changed this, i saved, then opened operamini3....even tried after a reboot

is there something i am missing ??

bbckm
03-24-2008, 06:18 PM
APN: wap@<hidden>

Username: wap@<hidden>

Password:CINGULAR1

after i changed this, i saved, then opened operamini3....even tried after a reboot

is there something i am missing ??

I think it is:
wap.cingular (note the dot)
then wapATcingulargprs.com (note the @<hidden>)
then CINGULAR1

I think...

Sith_Apprentice
03-24-2008, 06:19 PM
for ATT the TCP/APN settings should be
wap.cingular
wap@<hidden>
CINGULAR1

case correct in the above statement

here it is again

dhmike661
03-24-2008, 06:30 PM
i have those exact settings now, rebooted, opera mini 3 goes through the 20 tests again, and gives me the same failure to connect to the internet???

perhaps is there another browser application i can load to the device to try?

thanks for all the assistance

John Clark
03-24-2008, 06:34 PM
Could be a firewall issue. Did you reset the firewall prompts?

Go to Options >Security Options. Highlight Opera and hit menu and select "Edit Permissions." Then hit menu again and select "reset firewall prompts." Then try Opera again.

Sith_Apprentice
03-24-2008, 06:36 PM
next suggestion would have been checking App permissions. and what JC said, that was second suggestion, but as usual, he beat me to it

had2haveit
04-01-2008, 07:29 AM
Are any other 3rd party apps connecting for you? I think reqwireless is another 3rd party browser you can use.

b_in_atl
04-16-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm having the same problem with a Blackberry 8700c. I was hoping to use a friends phone with my Media Max 200 package until the new 9000 blackberry comes out. Any thing else I can try to get this working?

JSanders
04-16-2008, 11:41 AM
I think if you read the answers in this post, all the information provided is up-to-date.

You need the BlackBerry Data Plan, plain and simple. Other than that, follow the instructions for setting the APN as posted above, and it might work for you.

Good luck, and welcome to the BBF.

b_in_atl
04-16-2008, 11:43 AM
I've tried everything in this post and still cannot get it to work. I was hoping to hold off on getting the Blackberry plan until the 9000 comes out. I guess it just wont work without it though.

JSanders
04-16-2008, 11:48 AM
What part are you having a problem with?

Sometimes, OM is just buggy when first connecting. You could put ALL the settings in correctly, not work, and pick the phone up two days later it be working forever. However, that might not happen.

What settings are you using, we will be glad to help you trouble shoot the issue.

Secondly, why wait until the 9000 comes out (which could be in June, or it could in September). Until then, don't you still need the Data Plan and get your work done?

b_in_atl
04-16-2008, 11:53 AM
I was kind of hoping to test drive this 8700c for a month or so before picking up a Blackberry plan for an extra $10 a month. I've never used a BB before. I thought if I could get Opera Mini running and use Gmail that would work for what I want it to do right now. Then once the 9000 comes out with 3G and if I want more functionality (like push email) I'd go ahead and make the jump.

I've done everything that has been said in this post. I have the following set in TCP:

APN: WAP.CINGULAR
Username: WAP@<hidden>
Password: CINGULAR1

When I fire up Opera Mini 3.0 it runs through all the network tests and comes back with unable to connect. I've checked my permissions and firewall as mentioned earlier but still cannot connect.

reggre
05-10-2008, 12:31 AM
So, If I unlock my phone and continue to use AT&T, formerly known as Cingular, then install Opera, I can then get internet access at the Media Net price?

reggre
05-10-2008, 12:43 AM
Yes, you can do it with 3rd party applications like Opera mini and the GMail app.

You'll need to install:
Opera Mini: www.operamini.com

GMail app: BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...on-loader.html)

And you'll need these settings:

Carrier specific APN/TCP settings - BlackBerryFAQ

John Clark
TMo 8320 Curve 4.2.2.184 BES/BIS
TMo 8100 Pearl 4.2.1.108

d_fisher's Handy Tool: JL_CMDER
Want Answers? Check the BlackBerryFAQ's
Losing Call logs? Optimize Your BB's Memory!! Stinsoddog's BB Tips
BBF Members: Unlock your Berry - Fast and Cheap with Horizon Wireless

This is good... but what about the costs?