PDA

View Full Version : T-Mobile now in BIS 2.4?

rambo47
09-20-2007, 11:30 PM
Could it be? A couple of strange things occurred tonight that make me think BIS at T-Mobile has been upgraded. First, when I opened my web browser on my home computer and looked at my bookmarks, the URL icon for MyT-mobile had reverted from the pink "T" back to the generic URL icon. This only happens when I no longer have a valid cookie for a web site. Since I haven't deleted any cookies, the one I have must be invalid or outdated. Then, when I brought up the info screen on my Curve (Alt + Shift + H) I noticed Platform had gone from 2.3.x.xx to 2.4.0.29. Either these are just strange coincidences or BIS has been upgraded.

John Clark
09-20-2007, 11:36 PM
I'm not sure why a change in the TMo website would lead you to believe the BIS has changed.

As far as the Platform, that only changes when the OS is changed.

rambo47
09-20-2007, 11:43 PM
Yup, I now have the ability to invite attendees to meetings. Didn't have that before.

rambo47
09-20-2007, 11:45 PM
I haven't messed with my OS since putting on the O2 version a couple of months ago. As for the MyT-Mobile site it looks like I was logged off. Folks have been reporting the inability to log into the BIS site for their carrier when the upgrade was taking place. And all my other bookmarks still show the custom URL icons. Just not MyT-Mobile. As I said, I may be stringing a bunch of coincidences together, but I'm somehow getting the right answer. After testing Y!Go mail again I can say for sure it's definitely demonstrating the new BIS 2.4 features. Earlier today it wasn't and I was bemoaning that fact in the Aftermarket Software forum.

John Clark
09-21-2007, 12:01 AM
I think we likely have 2.4. However, just to be clear, your platform has been 2.4.0.49 since you loaded the O2 OS ;-)

http://www.btcellnet.net/misc/8300EFIGS_Dutch_PBr4[1].2.2_rel150_PL2.4.0.29_A4.2.2.67.exe

John Clark
09-21-2007, 12:03 AM
...and to be honest, I haven't seen much difference between 2.3 and 2.4. When I read the 2.4 upgrade info it sounded much like 2.3. I've been able to invite attendees since 2.3, been able to get read and delivery confirmations since 2.3, etc.

.Shaun
09-21-2007, 12:04 AM
how do you even know if the carrier does a BIS upgrade or what platform they are on..

hrtlss22
09-21-2007, 12:23 AM
]... when I brought up the info screen on my Curve (Alt + Shift + H) I noticed Platform had gone from 2.3.x.xx to 2.4.0.29. Either these are just strange coincidences or BIS has been upgraded.

lol has nothing to do with bis. i have platform 3.3.0.22 on my 8707g, be cool if my bis was way ahead of everyone elses, but it isnt. regualr t-mobile bis:razz:

rambo47
09-21-2007, 06:52 AM
Ah, I think I must be mixing up my 8800 and Curve as far as Platform numbers. I switch between those two Blackberrys like a woman who owns too many purses. Could we pretend this entire thread doesn't exist?

BBFreak
09-21-2007, 09:48 AM
Could we pretend this entire thread doesn't exist?

Copying thread for blackmailing purposes :razz:

jeremyckitching
09-21-2007, 09:51 AM
...and to be honest, I haven't seen much difference between 2.3 and 2.4. When I read the 2.4 upgrade info it sounded much like 2.3. I've been able to invite attendees since 2.3, been able to get read and delivery confirmations since 2.3, etc.

I agree. Once I upgraded to the 4.2 OS and BIS 2.3 was released I had been doing this for a while.

tobyw
09-22-2007, 08:30 AM
Synchronization of message status

Full two-way immediate synchronization of message status (read/unread) to source mailbox. For example, if a BlackBerry device user reads an email message from an integrated third-party Inbox, the email message is automatically marked as read on the BlackBerry device as well

Well, it seems BIS 2.4 has hit for me. When I first read the RIM KB article which I quoted above, I was quite excited. I find it annoying that when I read a message on my PC that it remains unread on the handheld. I thought that the two-way immediate synchronization might solve this. However, nothing seems to have changed. I am using BIS with a couple of OWA accounts. Could anyone confirm if they have seen any change?

Perhaps integrated third-party Inbox just means GMail or Yahoo? If so :cry: Maybe I should try with IMAP?

rambo47
09-22-2007, 09:12 AM
Copying thread for blackmailing purposes :razz:

I had another brilliant comment on a different forum (Nokia users) and some guy like it so much he used it as his signature! I guess that's my contribution: spreading mis-information and providing comedy relief.

tobyw
09-23-2007, 05:59 PM
Well, it seems BIS 2.4 has hit for me. When I first read the RIM KB article which I quoted above, I was quite excited. I find it annoying that when I read a message on my PC that it remains unread on the handheld. I thought that the two-way immediate synchronization might solve this. However, nothing seems to have changed. I am using BIS with a couple of OWA accounts. Could anyone confirm if they have seen any change?

Perhaps integrated third-party Inbox just means GMail or Yahoo? If so :cry: Maybe I should try with IMAP?

To add to this - I tried deleting a message on GMail, and it's read/unread status didn't reconcile to the handheld. Therefore, either I'm not on 2.4, it's Yahoo only, or I'm not understanding what RIM mean. Can anyone shed any light?

tobyw
09-24-2007, 10:41 AM
To add to this some more - I've played around with my e-mail accounts today, changing from OWA to IMAP, resending service books etc. It seems that read/unread status is not two-way as the RIM documentation suggests. :?

Can anyone confirm please?

akg
09-24-2007, 01:19 PM
I remember with 2.3, the 2-way reconcile was only with Yahoo. The RIM documentation is written in such a way that one would think it should work with other "third-party" accounts, but I doubt it. Gmail is very much lacking in this department and only reconciles deletes. Sent items reconcile in a way but they do not go in the right place in conversation view. If you are shooting emails back and forth to someone from your BB on a Gmail account, the conversation doesn’t look right in the web interface.

Try deleting and re-adding your Gmail account and see if that changes anything. By the way, I believe the "invite attendee" feature came out on 2.3, but the feature that's supposed to be added to 2.4 is "wireless meeting requests" which allows you to send/receive meeting requests and accept/deny them on your handheld. That is different from inviting attendees.

whsbuss
09-24-2007, 02:45 PM
I remember with 2.3, the 2-way reconcile was only with Yahoo. The RIM documentation is written in such a way that one would think it should work with other "third-party" accounts, but I doubt it. Gmail is very much lacking in this department and only reconciles deletes. Sent items reconcile in a way but they do not go in the right place in conversation view. If you are shooting emails back and forth to someone from your BB on a Gmail account, the conversation doesn’t look right in the web interface.

Try deleting and re-adding your Gmail account and see if that changes anything. By the way, I believe the "invite attendee" feature came out on 2.3, but the feature that's supposed to be added to 2.4 is "wireless meeting requests" which allows you to send/receive meeting requests and accept/deny them on your handheld. That is different from inviting attendees.

I'm hoping the 2-way reconcile/push email on 2.4 will be supported on IMAP accounts. If you remember a few months back RIM tried to turn on IMAP-IDLE but had problems with concurrent connections.

tobyw
09-24-2007, 03:21 PM

Thanks akg. I tried del/re-adding my GMail account, but no change. It seems that RIM's documentation is poorly written and they may only mean Yahoo accounts. If anyone has Yahoo could they test whether read/unread status propagates from mailbox --> handheld please?

I have now tried with OWA and IMAP BIS accounts and no dice.

tobyw
09-24-2007, 03:25 PM
I'm hoping the 2-way reconcile/push email on 2.4 will be supported on IMAP accounts. If you remember a few months back RIM tried to turn on IMAP-IDLE but had problems with concurrent connections.

whsbuss: Me too! :smile: I suspect that until they work out that bug whereby with e-mail servers that didn't accept concurrent connections, delivery was delayed up to 6hrs they won't re-enable IMAP IDLE. Having said that, presumably it would be a fairly easy fix to just put a check box in the advanced option on the BIS web page to allow users to turn on IDLE. However, I suspect they want to make it as simple as possible as most people (who don't visit BBF!) won't understand what this is.

Re the 2-way reconcile on IMAP: I changed one of my accounts to IMAP from OWA today, and can see no 2-way reconcile as touted in the RIM KB article. As akg says above, it may therefore just be poorly written. I suspect, we need a larger sample of other forum members to pitch in and confirm that this is indeed (or not) the case...

whsbuss
09-24-2007, 06:06 PM
whsbuss: Me too! :smile: I suspect that until they work out that bug whereby with e-mail servers that didn't accept concurrent connections, delivery was delayed up to 6hrs they won't re-enable IMAP IDLE. Having said that, presumably it would be a fairly easy fix to just put a check box in the advanced option on the BIS web page to allow users to turn on IDLE. However, I suspect they want to make it as simple as possible as most people (who don't visit BBF!) won't understand what this is.

Re the 2-way reconcile on IMAP: I changed one of my accounts to IMAP from OWA today, and can see no 2-way reconcile as touted in the RIM KB article. As akg says above, it may therefore just be poorly written. I suspect, we need a larger sample of other forum members to pitch in and confirm that this is indeed (or not) the case...

We're on the same page!! I too think the best way to implement the IMAP-IDLE/concurrent connections is to add a checkbox in the advanced settings. If you ever looked at your server for authentication from the BIS when using the auto-setup for an email account, you'll see it try POP port 110 then port 143 for IMAP. So if the server supports both POP & IMAP it settles on the IMAP connection, even for POP (Linux server here).

If RIM wants to make it simple it need to identify exactly the type of account; POP or IMAP. That's why it failed with 6 hr delays back in August. I know most don't know what type of account (POP or IMAP) they have, so the advanced options would serve us BBF'ers with a way to implement IMAP the way it should be.

I too agree with the vague writing of the BIS 2.4 announcement for 2-way reconcilation. Just wish we could know for sure if 2.4 has been implemented - like an official announcement from RIM?? The carriers never let us know what's going on!

akg
09-25-2007, 08:53 AM
Thanks akg. I tried del/re-adding my GMail account, but no change. It seems that RIM's documentation is poorly written and they may only mean Yahoo accounts. If anyone has Yahoo could they test whether read/unread status propagates from mailbox --> handheld please?

I have now tried with OWA and IMAP BIS accounts and no dice.Yahoo does propagate from mailbox --> handheld. It's actually faster than my BES at doing this, which kind of ticks me off.

tobyw
09-28-2007, 10:25 AM
I was thinking about this a bit more, and it seems logical that there is no way for two-way immediate synchronization referenced in the KB article to be implemented with polling inboxes, as by nature RIM wouldn't know of a change until it polled again!* It therefore looks increasingly likely that this just means Yahoo (along the lines akg says). This being the case, it slightly irritates me that RIM couldn't have been more clear in the KB article.

* Perhaps, though, this might come when/if IMAP IDLE is re-enabled.

To be honest, whilst immediate two-way reconciliation would be nice, I would welcome a reconciliation once per hour or similar with open arms. This would save me repeatedly marking messages as read on my BB that I have already read in my inbox (and getting confused about which ones are unread if I happen to forget before leaving my computer)... Please RIM :)

whsbuss
09-28-2007, 05:40 PM
I was thinking about this a bit more, and it seems logical that there is no way for two-way immediate synchronization referenced in the KB article to be implemented with polling inboxes, as by nature RIM wouldn't know of a change until it polled again!* It therefore looks increasingly likely that this just means Yahoo (along the lines akg says). This being the case, it slightly irritates me that RIM couldn't have been more clear in the KB article.

* Perhaps, though, this might come when/if IMAP IDLE is re-enabled.

To be honest, whilst immediate two-way reconciliation would be nice, I would welcome a reconciliation once per hour or similar with open arms. This would save me repeatedly marking messages as read on my BB that I have already read in my inbox (and getting confused about which ones are unread if I happen to forget before leaving my computer)... Please RIM :)

IMAP accounts with IDLE and concurrent connections would definately provide two-way sync. We just need RIM to re-activate it.