PDA

View Full Version : HELP! New user issues, about to dump the device!

laurajgp
06-04-2005, 09:33 PM
I just got my 7100g, I am not a expert at these things but I am usually pretty competent in figuring them out. I am very frustrated at having to jump through a million hoops to get additional ringtones downloaded, not to mention my provider does not even offer any support/downloads for my device. And, when I find sites that offer ringtones, my BB (or ANY BB) are not offered as device options. Is this thing that complicated or am I just missing something major here? Any help would be most appreciated.

NJBlackBerry
06-04-2005, 10:58 PM
If your biggest concerns are downloading ringtones, then perhaps you should dump the device and get a nice phone.

The 7100t is a decent phone, with excellent push e-mail capabilities. You can download ringtones by pointing your browser to the web site, clicking the wheel and selecting the tone. It isn't that bad. There are many, many threads, inclouding some sticky threads, on downloading ringtones for the 7100. But if that is your primary concern, you may well have the wrong device.

tru2life
06-05-2005, 12:02 AM
Yea, eat your loses and get rid of it. If downloading ringtones is a frustration and a primary concern, the BB probably isn't the phone for you.

laurajgp
06-05-2005, 09:40 AM
While I appreciate the advice, I am not quite that basic in new technology. You have to understand, downloading a ringtone was just one of the first things I tried to DO with the device. I am well aware of its capabilities and it seems that everywhere I turn for basic instruction is a dead end. My browser jams the device each time I try to launch it, the email configuration is a mess and neither cingular nor blackberry seem to have comprehensive tech support for it. Its almost as if it is a mystery device. I realize it is new, but come on. No, I don't care so much about the ringtone but if I can't get that to work.....

animlmed
06-05-2005, 11:07 AM
I mu say, I signed up with cingular and got the 7100g and dumped hem 3 days later for the 7250 through Verizon. Verizon has 1X speed, singular is slow and that perticulat blackbery(7100g) just isn't as user friendly as the 7250. I realy hated it. Slow to get web pages. Slow at buton reactions, etc. If I had the opportunity and the ability (depending on coverage in your area), id look into verizon.

NJBlackBerry
06-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Setting up a BlackBerry is not really that hard. First, do you have "GPRS" showing in the upper left hand corner - not "gprs" but GPRS.

Are you trying to get set up using the BlackBerry Internet Service (aka the BlackBerry Web Client) to collect and forward POP-3 e-mail to you? If so, have you logged into the Cingular BB Web Site at http://www.cingular.com/bwc

IT'S NOT THAT HARD. There are 3 million of them out there.

Take a step back. What are you having problems with (except ringtones)...

impdust
06-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Not sure why you're having problems downloading ringtones, but try this.

Point your Blackberry's web browser to http://www.stylefone.com

Once the page finishes loading scroll down to "ringtones" and activate the link.

Once the page finishes loading scroll down to "Stylefone Polyphonic Ringtones" and activate the link.

Once the page finishes loading scroll down to "H" (or any other letter) and activate the link.

Once the page finishes loading scroll down to "Ringtone" (doesn't matter which one) and activate the link.

Once the page finishes loading scroll down to "Download" (The download button without the winzip icon beside it) and activate the link.

Once the page finishes loading and the music starts playing use the scroll well to select the button on the far right side. This will bring up the menu. Select "Save". Make sure the path is set to "/home/user/ringtones/" and give it whatever file name you want. Then click save.

You'll get a message saying the tune was saved.

Now you need to exit your browser and go to "Home -> Profiles"

Select the profile you wish to change. For example the "default" profile. Press the scroll wheel to bring up the menu and select "Edit"

Scroll down to phone and select Edit by using the scroll wheel.

Scroll down to "Tune" (either one) and press the scroll wheel, and select "Change option"

Select the ringtone you downloaded by selecting its name and pressing the scroll wheel.

Now press the scroll wheel again and select "save"

Congratulations you've now downloaded a ringtone and set it for use.