PDA

View Full Version : T-Mobile and 3G

Nubsauce
09-30-2007, 10:37 PM
So I have heard a few different things about T-Mobile finally getting a 3G network... No idea which is true or false, but most of what I've heard tells me that T-Mobile is getting a 3G network VERY SOON.

Again, all rumor as far as I know... Anyone know any thing else about it? Am I crazy? Do they already have a 3G network and I'm just inept? et cetera...

ezrunner
09-30-2007, 10:47 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I am guessing you have transposed the letter and mean 3G and not G3! They are of course working on building out a 3G network. In order to compete they must! Not sure about the timeline though

Nubsauce
09-30-2007, 11:01 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I am guessing you have transposed the letter and mean 3G and not G3!

yes thank you, I always mess that up then second guess myself on the correct term. It's now fixed.

numetheus
10-01-2007, 12:47 AM
So I have heard a few different things about T-Mobile finally getting a 3G network... No idea which is true or false, but most of what I've heard tells me that T-Mobile is getting a 3G network VERY SOON.

Again, all rumor as far as I know... Anyone know any thing else about it? Am I crazy? Do they already have a 3G network and I'm just inept? et cetera...

They are STARTING their 3G network soon. This means that coverage will be extremely crappy and unlimited for a while. Not to mention, the 3G technology they are using is already outdated. The other carriers will be upgrading from the tech they are just now STARTING soon.

When the 3G BlackBerries start to show up, i'm pretty sure T-Mobile will be at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to Internet support for their devices. But, I guess you get what you pay for ... and TMobile has REALLY low rates. I also would not be surprised if they hiked up their Internet data plan rates so they can pump up their 3G support in the future.

NJBlackBerry
10-01-2007, 04:52 AM
Yep; their WiFi support is just soooooo awful.

And AT&T has been cruising with their 3G devices, right?

secrecyguy
10-01-2007, 05:28 AM
According to two articles, it will be few more years before they will get their 3G up and running because the government is still using the frequency which T-mobile need.

Couple of people have said that they are setting up the 3G network and will have it up and running at some of the major cities.

The first 3G phone will be the Kaiser (the name may change) (Windows phone) coming out toward the end of October.

Dubdub
10-01-2007, 06:11 AM
According to two articles, it will be few more years before they will get their 3G up and running because the government is still using the frequency which T-mobile need.

Couple of people have said that they are setting up the 3G network and will have it up and running at some of the major cities.

The first 3G phone will be the Kaiser (the name may change) (Windows phone) coming out toward the end of October.

The Kaiser, a.k.a. ATT Tilt and the HTC TyTNII, is coming out on ATT in October. It is a WM6 3G device. I don't think it is destined to T-Mo, but then I could be mistaken. I don't follow them as closely as I do some of the others.

From what I have heard, it might be a while before T-Mo gets 3G. They are building out using the 1700 mhz spectrum, which will also require the manufacturers to include that in their phones.

ezrunner
10-01-2007, 06:42 AM

The TILT has been pushed back for ATT! Hasn't been testing so well

numetheus
10-01-2007, 08:03 AM
The Kaiser, a.k.a. ATT Tilt and the HTC TyTNII, is coming out on ATT in October. It is a WM6 3G device. I don't think it is destined to T-Mo, but then I could be mistaken. I don't follow them as closely as I do some of the others.

From what I have heard, it might be a while before T-Mo gets 3G. They are building out using the 1700 mhz spectrum, which will also require the manufacturers to include that in their phones.

Yes it is. It is coming out to T-Mobile as the MDA Vario II.

numetheus
10-01-2007, 08:04 AM

They will be getting it, but its not like it will be usable in 3G except for in a few locations. If you are in a smaller city/town, don't expect to have 3G support for a few years.

NJBlackBerry
10-01-2007, 08:21 AM
Evidence or proof of this, or rumors and heresay?
Just wondering.

numetheus
10-01-2007, 10:10 AM
Evidence or proof of this, or rumors and heresay?
Just wondering.

They are just starting their 3G service. Its not like they can say they will implement it and POOF!! It is magically up for all areas. It will take a few years. Add the fact that I seriously doubt they will be able to move as fast as the other carriers, and you can easily predict they will remain far behind. They won't move as fast as everyone else because they lack the finances of the big guys. That is why I predict they will hike their prices in the future. If they want to compete and move at the pace of everyone else, they can't keep prices this low. Sooner or later, T-Mobile will realize this and hike the prices.