PDA

View Full Version : Headset jack mutes microphone

mikehoffer
10-01-2007, 05:58 PM
i have a 8703e. i have an external speaker hooked up to the 2.5mm headset jack which gives great audio but no one can hear me talk. the microphone seems to be muted. Alltel says this shouldn't happen. They sent me a new phone. same problem. seems simple but very frustrating. appreciate any help.

Mike

John Clark
10-01-2007, 06:00 PM
The headset jack is made to have a microphone on the headset you are using. It's not a speaker jack. If you don't have a microphone on whatever you plug into it your microphone will be muted.

mikehoffer
10-01-2007, 06:05 PM
ok. thanks for the quick response. i was hoping to use the jack as an external speaker so the volume would be louder when i'm driving. i wanted to talk through the speakerphone.

mikehoffer
10-01-2007, 06:06 PM
btw,

i have a nice nokia bh900 bluetooth headset for the thing, but it drops signal all the time. very annoying. any suggestions on a better one with good audio. thanks.

visortgw
10-01-2007, 06:25 PM
btw,

i have a nice nokia bh900 bluetooth headset for the thing, but it drops signal all the time. very annoying. any suggestions on a better one with good audio. thanks.

Aliph™ Jawbone (The Highest Rated Bluetooth Headset. Ever. (http://jawbone.com)) -- IMO, the ONLY Bluetooth headset that is worth the money (, and I have purchased/used many different "premium" headsets in the past from Motorola, Jabra, nXZEN, Netlink, and Plantronics). I purchased mine from a local AT&T Wireless (aka cingular) store.

mikehoffer
10-01-2007, 06:36 PM
jawbone looks great. i'll check it out. thanks.