PDA

View Full Version : Calls logging as unknown

sproutss
10-03-2007, 05:25 PM
Anytime I receive a phone call it shows number as unknown. The numbers are in my address / phone book and it will show the name and number when I call out. HELP! Using the 8700C

JSanders
10-03-2007, 05:26 PM
In your phone dialer screen, Options > Smart Dialing > do you have your country code (US) set as "+1" and do you have your home Area Code entered in that field? Try that.

sproutss
10-03-2007, 05:39 PM
I just added the home area code but that is not working either. Incoming calls show as unknown with the number even though names and numbers are in my address book.

Anytime I receive a phone call it shows number as unknown. The numbers are in my address / phone book and it will show the name and number when I call out. HELP! Using the 8700C

JSanders
10-03-2007, 05:43 PM
Pull the battery while powered to reboot also, and check. Sometimes, that fixes an odd glitch.

John Clark
10-03-2007, 06:14 PM
Check Options >Security Options >General Settings and check to see if Content Protection is enabled. If so, disable it. If you can't disable it, then where it says "include address book" change that to "no." If you don't have that option then you may need to call AT&T. I've seen this issue before and it's turned out to be a carrier issue.

numetheus
10-03-2007, 09:49 PM
If the caller has his/her number blocked, it really doesn't matter if it is in your address book or not. It will ALWAYS show up as UNKNOWN. I have a friend that chose not to display his identity, and he always shows UNKNOWN. Your phone will not know who it is, if the source number is not being shared using caller ID.

juwaack68
10-03-2007, 09:51 PM
I *think* if the caller is blocking, it will show as 'Private', not 'Unknown'....

numetheus
10-03-2007, 10:31 PM
I *think* if the caller is blocking, it will show as 'Private', not 'Unknown'....

Maybe its carrier specific. If someone calls my phone using the * code to block their ID ... it will show up as UNKNOWN not private.

jviola_simi
10-03-2007, 10:49 PM

I have two people who regularly call me with "Unknown" status. One is my Mother and the other is my Boss. They are both in my address book as well as "My Favs". (It's my Forrest Gump box of chocolate scenario) They both block there caller ID from their devices.

numetheus
10-03-2007, 10:52 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I have two people who regularly call me with "Unknown" status. One is my Mother and the other is my Boss. They are both in my address book as well as "My Favs". (It's my Forrest Gump box of chocolate scenario) They both block there caller ID from their devices.

Ya that's what I'm saying. I have always known it to say UNKNOWN if it is blocked. I guess maybe it is carrier specific, but I have never seen it say PRIVATE. There you go .... Case closed nothing you can do because its blocked. Now let's all go have pie and a beer.

daphne
10-04-2007, 12:49 AM
Nope, I get some that say Private Number from people who have their caller ID blocked. Same if I call my BlackBerry from my home phone, which has caller ID blocking.

numetheus
10-04-2007, 12:53 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Nope, I get some that say Private Number from people who have their caller ID blocked. Same if I call my BlackBerry from my home phone, which has caller ID blocking.

Its probably carrier specific then.

sproutss
10-04-2007, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I've checked and the callers do not have their numbers blocked. I'll try the carrier.

daphne
10-04-2007, 10:34 PM
I get calls at home sometimes that say unknown. The phone company told me that Caller ID doesn't work from some areas, but didn't say why. That was a few years ago.

Shishkabob87
10-05-2007, 02:14 AM
Just to throw in my two cents...it seems that "private" shows up from cdma as shown by the verizon person above me and when I was on alltel they showed up as private calls but now that I'm on tmob they show up as "unknown..."

Anyways...it shouldn't be doing it for every number unless your friends all block their numbers..heh

RonEMM
10-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Just wanted to point out that the original poster stated that "anytime" he receives a phone call it shows up as unknown.

Shinigami
01-28-2008, 11:58 AM
I had this issue with a Sprint 8830 BB. The issue only occured after I had switched the user from an older 8703e to an 8830. It ended up being an issue on the Sprint network (i'm not sure if the same will apply to others, but this may help any future Sprint users with the same issue).

The Sprint tech told me the following. The HLR (Home Location Register) did not register the device and the fix was to activate it in the ESM (i'm not sure what the acronym stands for).