PDA

View Full Version : Noob question: Alerts/contacts

Pitbull
06-08-2005, 06:50 AM
Hello -

I've officially and wholeheartedly joined the Blackberry family. I received and activated my BB7520 from Nextel yesterday. So far, the phone/DC reception is better than my old i730 and the features of the BB are great. Talking into it isn't nearly as bad as I expected, I though it would be much like talking into my Palm. It isn't much bigger than a normal cell phone!

I do have a couple questions:

1) How do I set up alerts for when I get an email? I went through and edited the profile, but don't seem to get any sort of notification (other than the icon) when emails come in. Is this a Level 1 Message? If not, what is a Level 1 Message?

2) On the i730 you could add a new number to an existing contact. For example: if my wife called me from work, I could select the number in the call log and add it to her name under "Work" in the contact list. Does the BB do anything like this? Based on my attempts, if you click save to address book, it starts a new entry. Any ideas?

Thanks! This thing is great!

Andy

LunkHead
06-08-2005, 06:53 AM
1) go into profile and check to make sure that messages (email) has notification set. Level 1 are ususally PIN messages.

2) you can copy the number then go into the address book and paste it into the contact.

bfrye
06-08-2005, 06:53 AM
1) Messages are emails. Make sure it isn't in the holster and the volume is turned up when choosing your ringtone for it. Level 1 is usually for PIN

2) You can't add them directly from the call log (well you can, but it creates a new entry, not add to an existing one). You can however, if the number isn't listed, click the wheel, then scroll to "copy 2345678901", then go into your addy book and paste it into the entry of your choice.

Pitbull
06-08-2005, 06:55 AM
Thank you for your prompt responses. I though I'd be the only one up, at work and on the computer at this hour!

bfrye
06-08-2005, 06:57 AM
Nah, long ago I had mini-usb ports implanted into my arms, which have a direct fiber link into my cerebral cortex. That allows me to plug the blackberry in and surf, post or download even in my sleep. Matter of fact, I'm sleeping at this very moment. Luckily it isn't one of "those" dreams or I'd be very embarrased right now :-o

Pitbull
06-08-2005, 07:02 AM
How much was that upgrade? :D

bfrye
06-08-2005, 07:04 AM
10,000 in camel cash and a box of scooby snacks.