PDA

View Full Version : USB charge without Desktop Manager

smandell
06-08-2005, 04:35 PM
It seems like you need to install the Desktop Manager software in order to be able to charge the BB through your computer.

I assume this is because the device drivers are neccessary to properly identify the device. If this is the case, is there a way to install just the drivers. I don't want my users to have desktop manager installed, we're using OTA sync.

Thanks,

Steve

jreinardy
06-08-2005, 04:40 PM
Steve,

With 4.0 software, you can just install Handheld Manager and not Desktop Manager by selecting a custom install. Handheld manager is far less dangerous, in our opinion.

Hope that helps,

Jim

TRILIGHT
06-09-2005, 01:30 PM
Not necessary. If there's power on the port, it will charge.

Dawg
06-09-2005, 02:33 PM
everytime I plug my phone into my lap top it wants to install it. Got tired of hittimg no so just brought wall charger to work with me

SLYDER
06-09-2005, 05:47 PM
I had two bars left and plugged it into my computer without the drivers or desktop software installed. It showed the charging icon, but sat for over 3 hours and NEVER went up at all!

dulcamara
06-09-2005, 06:53 PM
I can charge my 7100g with my desktop MAC and the linux partition of my laptop. The charging from the laptop is real slow, however. It can take 10+ hours to go from 50% to 100% (at least if you believe the Pocketday power meter).

rossf
06-09-2005, 08:54 PM
Charges on my Powerbook via USB in about an hour...

jibi
06-09-2005, 09:02 PM
Install Desktop Manager and copy the drivers from c:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\USB Drivers\ to some other place then uninstall Desktop Manager. Not sure if this will work, but there's the drivers.

There are two methods of charging - with drivers and without drivers. The latter is VERY slow compared to the first.

Blurr
06-10-2005, 01:50 PM
Plug the blackberry into your PC and insert your Desktop Manager CD. When windows asks for drivers for the Blackberry, point it to the CD drive and it'll install the drivers for the device. When it's all done, the Blackberry should charge just fine without having the Desktop Manager installed.

ncosmany
08-25-2005, 10:34 AM
The best way to extract the drivers from the BB cd is to open the cd... extract the files from the data1.cab zipped file to a folder on your HD. Go into that folder and rename/remove the long numberic extension for all the files that say rimserial, rimusb, and rimusbnt. Then point your device manager to that folder with the renamed files...it will install your driver without installing anything else.

Dawg
08-25-2005, 10:42 AM
I just bought a second usb cable and use the wall charger and it charges better.

hannahkat
08-25-2005, 11:24 AM
The wall charger will work every time and quickly - charging via PC USB you can't guarantee charge will work or in a timely manner without the drivers, and 50% of the time the drivers will be needed (one of our users charged via PC for 2 months then it suddenly stopped working - we don't provide desktop software to users, and only give them the wall charger option to prevent unnecessary service calls).

Wattsie
08-28-2005, 04:29 PM
I second the comments about USB charging. S . . . L . . . O . . . W . . .

Wall charger all the way!

corey@12mile
08-29-2005, 07:43 AM
I have never used the wall charger, only USB charging, and mine charges quite fast... like an hour, twice a week and I never have an issue.

Oh... I think I may have explained a couple times why people who don't install the driver for the handheld on the computer they are trying to charge with have very loing charging times...

KonTiki
08-29-2005, 08:17 AM
I keep my BlackBerry plugged in while at my desk via the USB to the computer i never ever have a charge of less than 100%.

Silk94102
06-29-2006, 12:10 PM
The AC adapter is much faster for charging. (y)

I think an accurate analogy is a trickle charger for your car battery vs a quick charger. The USB buss doesn't provide much power and charges very slowly. I typically fully charge most completely discharged BB devices with an AC adapter in 30 minutes.

In SF, there are street sellers at 50 UNP (Civic Center) every Thursday (and sometimes Fridays.) There is a vendor who shows up regularly with cell phone and BB accessories. You can get an AC adapter for your BB for $11. They cost $29.95 usually from stores and e-commerce sites.